Author Topic: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender  (Read 75305 times)

Re: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender
« Reply #425 on: 28 October, 2010, 12:39:28 pm »
The plan is to leave York Station about midnight, so rendez-vous a few minutes before then.

« Reply #426 on: 28 October, 2010, 12:58:09 pm »
I may be able to join all you good folks tomorrow night.  And if I do, I'll be looking to get back to Pickering on the steam line.

Rendez-vous in the taxi-rank/drop-off area at York station, right?

« Reply #427 on: 28 October, 2010, 01:00:28 pm »
YHPM, Uncle Phil.

« Reply #428 on: 28 October, 2010, 03:03:57 pm »
Attendance

Aidan
andrewc
Arch
CrinklyLion
CrinklyLion's Friend
Deano
jogler
Kim
Luke
mcshroom
MrCharly
SlowCoach
Tiermat
Tigerbiten
TimO
tom_e
Uncle Phil

Possibles are in grey.

People attending : 11 to 16
People returning via steam train : 6 to 10

I've had a quick read through the thread, and I think that's the current status, although anyone who thinks their entry above is wrong, should tell me!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #429 on: 28 October, 2010, 03:05:06 pm »
I'm a now a probable.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #430 on: 28 October, 2010, 03:05:35 pm »
Looks right to me, Tim.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #431 on: 28 October, 2010, 03:16:43 pm »
oooo getting jittery now about this, as I always do on the run up to such things.  The fact I am not working this week is not helping AT ALL.....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #432 on: 28 October, 2010, 03:36:27 pm »
oooo getting jittery now about this, as I always do on the run up to such things.  The fact I am not working this week is not helping AT ALL.....

I'm trying to be MORE jittery than I am.  I was a bit nervous before the last one, with never having done a night ride, not knowing most of the people all that well, if at all, thinking about if I'd manage the return trip.  This time, I'm rather more serene, and I don't want to be over confident and end up forgetting something vital or not pacing myself.

I can still fret about us getting on the train, though, so that's alright.  ;)
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #433 on: 28 October, 2010, 03:58:02 pm »
Arch - can you guide us out of York?  I don't know the route to Pickering well enough to be confident, myself.

tiermat

« Reply #434 on: 28 October, 2010, 03:59:50 pm »
I wouldn't worry Arch, instead of just an armchair escaping, this time it will be a whole 3 piece suit disappearing off down the hill :)

At least I seem to have finally shaken off this virus so am not feeling completely carp, and I have my train ticket, just hope I can sleep tomorrow, during the day, something i didn't manage last time, even though I had had the week from hell @ work...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #435 on: 28 October, 2010, 04:08:00 pm »
Arch - can you guide us out of York?  I don't know the route to Pickering well enough to be confident, myself.

I'm pretty sure I'll be coming, and it's an easy route. Getting out of york is the most complex bit, and three of us know that so well we'll probably fall asleep.

The turn off past Gate Helmsley is signposted for buttercrambe, then it is straight on until Malton.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #436 on: 28 October, 2010, 04:15:05 pm »

I'm pretty sure I'll be coming, and it's an easy route. Getting out of york is the most complex bit, and three of us know that so well we'll probably fall asleep.

The turn off past Gate Helmsley is signposted for buttercrambe, then it is straight on until Malton.

Yeah, we might as well use the same route out of the city as last time, as it seemed quiet enough!  Is that turn the one just before the Balloon Tree?  Or the one after it.  I'll have the map anyway.

« Reply #437 on: 28 October, 2010, 05:43:09 pm »
My plan is to get into York around 7-8ish.
Then maybe grab a couple of hours kip at CrinklyLion's
Or just natter ..........  :P

See you all tomorrow night ...........  ;D

« Reply #438 on: 28 October, 2010, 06:23:22 pm »
I reckon 7-8ish would be a good time at CrinklyLions (anywhere else that would sound very weird... come to think of it... ;D).  I will probably raid one of the local takeaways for some grub, Crinkly, if you don't mind me stinking up your house a bit with whatever's available locally!

I've got a largish cannister of gas, the C250 one, bigger than the small cannister, but not as big as the huge one!  It should be sufficient for quite a few boil ups.  The pan is 1.7L, but I'm not sure how many cups of water that would be.  Three or four at a guess.  So even if I was cooking up the water for everyone, I'd probably be able to do it in four goes.

I'm going to pop to Sainsburys shortly, to stock up on munchies for the ride, food for when I get back here, and really won't want to go shopping, and something to eat on the trip up to York.  Are there any southern delicacies that I can bring up for anyone? ;D

Talisker eventually responded to being called in, and has been topped up with fishy cat food, and is of course sleeping it off.  What he doesn't realise is that he won't be getting back out again for several days, and a lovely trip to the cattery also awaits!

« Reply #439 on: 28 October, 2010, 06:28:19 pm »
I'm a now a probable.

I've upgraded you to a darker shade of grey. ;D

« Reply #440 on: 28 October, 2010, 07:01:52 pm »
Are there any southern delicacies that I can bring up for anyone? ;D

Oh my.  Do they have white bread?  Sun dried tomatoes?  Meat other than Mammoth?

;)

Nah, we're alright.  York's first Waitrose opened today!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #441 on: 28 October, 2010, 07:04:22 pm »
I never quite recovered from Safeway going bust and (due to the high Morrisons density of the area) the one local to us in Sheffield turning into a Waitrose.  At least they still sold Henderson's.

« Reply #442 on: 28 October, 2010, 08:50:05 pm »

Excellent.  I always seem to go past Clifford's Tower more times than I really should when I leave York.

« Reply #443 on: 28 October, 2010, 08:51:02 pm »
Just had a text from tom_e: he may meet us at the Crinklies, but he'll see us at the station if he's running late.

Back to packing...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #444 on: 28 October, 2010, 09:35:05 pm »
4 course meal, nice hot shower, proper coffee, extensive marble run collection to entertain cub - it's a hard life, this camping lark. Mind, I am about to go share a 2 man tent with cub and his cousin. Who are both octupuses.  I might be quite tired tomorrow!

« Reply #445 on: 28 October, 2010, 10:38:17 pm »
Decided to bring the Nomad as it has better brakes.  Pumping up tyres & pondering between saddlebag & pannier...

Should be arriving in York at 10:35,   hopefully rock up at Casa Crinkly shortly after, probably in time to turn around and ride back to the start !

Been a hectic week, so no decorations on the bike, still, I'm ugly enough for Hallowee'n anyway!

Doesn't look like we are going to get a nice starry sky though  :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #446 on: 28 October, 2010, 11:01:08 pm »
I've a couple of skulls on the bike ;D

I need to pump the tyres a bit, and I'm packing a Trangia, meths, coffee, two bottles for water + space for two litres more, three cups, teabags, hot chocolate, glow sticks, sparklers, matches, a lighter, more glowsticks, train tickets, kendal mint cake, flap jack, general tool kit and innertubes.  Still room for cake, too.

« Reply #447 on: 29 October, 2010, 12:02:36 am »
Nah, we're alright.  York's first Waitrose opened today!

I'm surprised at that.  Even Hull has a Waitrose!

LindaG

« Reply #448 on: 29 October, 2010, 08:26:13 am »
Have a brill time tonight all.  I wish I could be there!

tiermat

« Reply #449 on: 29 October, 2010, 08:28:41 am »
Have a brill time tonight all.  I wish I could be there!

You will be missed, unfortunately the big shiny flange will not be making an appearence (the front tyre is more than a little worn and I cannot afford to replace it until I get an outstanding invoice paid) but I will make sure we get plenty of photos.

My Dave Yates will shortly be adorned with a glowing green skull, and I may be taking my White Zombie T to wear when we get to Whitby.