Author Topic: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender  (Read 75301 times)

LindaG

Re: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender
« Reply #450 on: 29 October, 2010, 08:32:40 am »

the big shiny flange will not be making an appearence

>:(

but I will make sure we get plenty of photos.

:)

My Dave Yates will shortly be adorned with a glowing green skull, and I may be taking my White Zombie T to wear when we get to Whitby.

;D ;D ;D  Superb!!  I bet you have so much fun.

« Reply #451 on: 29 October, 2010, 08:37:15 am »
I never quite recovered from Safeway going bust and (due to the high Morrisons density of the area) the one local to us in Sheffield turning into a Waitrose.  At least they still sold Henderson's.
Safeway didn't go bust.  Was taken over by Morrisons, and some stores had to be sold on due to competition considerations.

« Reply #452 on: 29 October, 2010, 09:16:58 am »
I just tested out the gas cannister, and it works OK.  There's nothing quite so annoying as getting a brand new cannister out, and finding the valve has failed, and you can't get any gas out, and consequently your supper is going to be cold. :(

The weather looks a little bit less dry than was forecast.  Is there anywhere along the way which is going to be suitable to stop for a brew, or is at least out of the wind?
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #453 on: 29 October, 2010, 09:28:55 am »
It's wierdly warm in York - max is supposed to be 16, and it was 13 at 6:30am.  Very windy, tho'.

The weather tonight could be interesting. Possibly warm and damp. The wind should be behind us for most of the way. The return trip could be tiresome, but wind is due to drop a little bit tomorrow.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #454 on: 29 October, 2010, 09:50:48 am »
Is there anywhere along the way which is going to be suitable to stop for a brew, or is at least out of the wind?

The only places I can think of are the portico at York Railway Station and I think that there is similar shelter at Whitby Station. One may be a little too early in the ride - the other too late. I'm sure we'll find a dry stone wall to cower behind somehere on the tops. owever these are more sparse on the North Yorks Moors than they are say in the Yorkshire Dales or Peak District.

« Reply #455 on: 29 October, 2010, 09:53:40 am »
I thought of this earlier - but there's not much shelter on the road.  The best I could come up with was a small bus shelter in one of the villages off-route:

Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender

...unless anyone fancies carrying a gazebo.

Hopefully it'll be mild and dry enough for us to brew up at Hole of Horcum car park.

« Reply #456 on: 29 October, 2010, 10:02:23 am »
I don't think it will be anywhere near as cold as the previous nighttime ride. Wind blowing out stoves might be more of a problem!

As for somewhere to brew - hmm. Might just have to be somewhere that looks suitable between Malton and Pickering. A proper stop and feed before hitting the hills would be a good idea.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #457 on: 29 October, 2010, 10:15:48 am »
Seems a bit early in the ride to me - but whatever everyone prefers :)

« Reply #458 on: 29 October, 2010, 10:22:20 am »
Pickering is slightly past half-way, distance-wise. I think it would be a mistake to chow down *just* before starting to climb over the moors.

Based on speeds from the previous ride, I reckon we'll reach Pickering not long before 3am (but will have tailwind - so might be a lot sooner!).

That allows plenty of time for slow hill-traversing (walking) and still hitting Whitby 7/8am in time to watch the sunrise - the Abbey would be a good spot for those who fancy an extra hill.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #459 on: 29 October, 2010, 10:26:25 am »
A weather update for you. Grey and windy but dry still around Malton. Good luck at least it won't be too cold tonight.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #460 on: 29 October, 2010, 10:51:38 am »
The cold doesn't worry me, I was thinking more of the fact that the wind might be driving light drizzle into us, which could feel a little unpleasant.  That sort of thing is surprisingly tolerable when you're cycling, but less comfortable when standing around waiting for a cup of tea or coffee.

« Reply #461 on: 29 October, 2010, 11:01:53 am »
The cold doesn't worry me, I was thinking more of the fact that the wind might be driving light drizzle into us, which could feel a little unpleasant.  That sort of thing is surprisingly tolerable when you're cycling, but less comfortable when standing around waiting for a cup of tea or coffee.
Even heavy-ish rain is ok-ish, as long as you are working hard enough to keep warm.
Its the stops that are the killers when you cool down to far.

Packing the car and trying to remember what I've forgotten ..........  :P

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #462 on: 29 October, 2010, 11:05:38 am »
Windy as hell up here.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #463 on: 29 October, 2010, 11:12:02 am »
Windy as hell up here.  ;D

Windy, but windy from the South here (Northallerton) just the right direction for the outward leg....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #464 on: 29 October, 2010, 11:26:14 am »
Met Office forecast for the Yorkshire area:-

Rain will spread from the west early this evening, clearing again by midnight.
The remainder of the night dry with broken cloud.
Quite mild with the strong winds easing.
Minimum temperature 7 °C.
Generally dry through Sat morning with some sunshine at times

So we may have a good night ............  8)

« Reply #465 on: 29 October, 2010, 12:36:53 pm »
Packing the car and trying to remember what I've forgotten ..........  :P

The bike ?

« Reply #466 on: 29 October, 2010, 12:41:43 pm »
I think it may pay us to get beyond the flesh pots of Pickering and at least up onto the escarpment before we have a main stop. If nothing else, we'll probably find a couple of dead sheep up on the tops to shelter the stoves behind.

« Reply #467 on: 29 October, 2010, 12:51:10 pm »
I reckon it's Deano's decision, when we get there, to decide exactly where to stop.  As Ride Leader (he started the thread!) he makes the executive decisions.  The rest of us just follow him like sheep. ;D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #468 on: 29 October, 2010, 01:03:37 pm »
Mrs T has decided, as she can't persuade me not to do this, that I should at least attend with some sustinence for myself other attendees.  To that end there is a banananananaaaaaa and ginger loaf cake in the oven, and some chocolatey oaty cookies are in the process of being made.....

As I previously pointed out there is a camp site on the run into Pickering, which should provide a nice sheltered area just off the road where we can make out brews....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #469 on: 29 October, 2010, 01:24:28 pm »
Right I'm off, all see you all in somewhere between 5 and 10 hours, depending on where I see you, and how bad the traffic is!

I've got paper maps, notes, and three GPSes (car, bicycle, and phone), so I should get there OK, eventually!

« Reply #470 on: 29 October, 2010, 01:32:39 pm »
I prefer to reach agreement by consensus ;D

We can discuss it at CL's.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #471 on: 29 October, 2010, 02:10:54 pm »
I reckon it's Deano's decision, when we get there, to decide exactly where to stop.  As Ride Leader (he started the thread!) he makes the executive decisions.  The rest of us just follow him like sheep. ;D

The only sheep I know who rides a bike is Mishun H Sugworth.  Well, and Oonagh Herdwick, of course.
Getting there...

« Reply #472 on: 29 October, 2010, 02:11:49 pm »
I really need to start packing and getting ready  ::-)

I get into York about 2115. See you all there.
Don't ask.

« Reply #473 on: 29 October, 2010, 02:16:01 pm »
Setting off now.

See you in York.

Luck ...........  ;D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #474 on: 29 October, 2010, 02:22:55 pm »
Hope you folks have a wheely good ride