Author Topic: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender  (Read 75306 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender
« Reply #475 on: 29 October, 2010, 02:29:58 pm »
FNRttS experience suggests that brewing up after the climb works well, as the kettle can boil while slower people tackle the hill.  That does require a convenient stopping place, though.

« Reply #476 on: 29 October, 2010, 02:56:40 pm »
Which on the A169 are unfortunately mainly at the bottom of hills.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #477 on: 29 October, 2010, 03:13:03 pm »
FNRttS experience suggests that brewing up after the climb works well, as the kettle can boil while slower people tackle the hill.  That does require a convenient stopping place, though.

..hence my suggestion of stopping at the car park at Hole of Horcum.  Top of Saltersgate Bank. 'Tis a bit exposed if it's windy or rainy, otherwise perfect.  About 30 miles into the route, so a little over halfway.

There's a pub a couple of miles earlier (the Fox & Rabbit, I think) if shelter is required, or nip into Lockton village, where there's a bus shelter.

Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #478 on: 29 October, 2010, 03:34:18 pm »
We're back in York, having battled into the wind all the way from the A19 to Northallerton and had TPE fun getting on the train.  I got about 2 hours kips last night, and had a couple of glasses of wine with dinner yesterday so feel absolutely done in!  Off to bed - the cub's around to wake me up if anyone gets here while I'm still snoozing :)

« Reply #479 on: 29 October, 2010, 03:58:38 pm »
I'm at Beaconsfield services after 60 or so miles, in one and a half hours of travel. Actually not too bad for the M25 on a Friday!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #480 on: 29 October, 2010, 03:59:43 pm »
By the way, I have cheese & onion flapjack (or just cheese, for those not of an onion-y disposition).

« Reply #481 on: 29 October, 2010, 04:00:40 pm »

..hence my suggestion of stopping at the car park at Hole of Horcum.  Top of Saltersgate Bank. 'Tis a bit exposed if it's windy or rainy, otherwise perfect.  About 30 miles into the route, so a little over halfway.

Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender
Sounds good. We can have a lighting competition; see whose lights will reach all the way across the Hole.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #482 on: 29 October, 2010, 04:02:30 pm »
I've just given my upwrong a much-needed clean and fettle.  It hasn't had any proper attention since the Exmouth Exodus, and it showed.

Knee's being rather clicky today though.  I reserve the right to bottle out at Mordor Central.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #483 on: 29 October, 2010, 04:04:34 pm »
a banananananaaaaaa and ginger loaf cake in the oven, and some chocolatey oaty cookies are in the process of being made.....

By the way, I have cheese & onion flapjack (or just cheese, for those not of an onion-y disposition).

And I have chocolate fridge cake, St Clements cake, coffee cake, chocolate and banananananananana cake, and a fruit and lemon and almond cake.

We aren't likely to get very hungry, anyway.....

« Reply #484 on: 29 October, 2010, 04:10:19 pm »
I'm pretty much packed now.

I've decided to come on my tourer. I was going to bring the pomp which has much better lights, but it isn't very good in the wind.
Don't ask.

« Reply #485 on: 29 October, 2010, 04:17:49 pm »
I've just given my upwrong a much-needed clean and fettle.  It hasn't had any proper attention since the Exmouth Exodus, and it showed.

<thinks>Ah - cleaning and fettling. Guess I'd better clean my wheels and make sure the brakes work.

Mordor Central being York? or <shudder> Pickering?

Unless this is a very different ride from the last York night ride, it will be gentle and knee-friendly.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #486 on: 29 October, 2010, 04:31:02 pm »
Mordor Central being York? or <shudder> Pickering?

Birmingham New Street.

« Reply #487 on: 29 October, 2010, 04:32:10 pm »
this isnt going to happen for me, im still in Coventry its been an intense day and we arent finished yet. My boss has just asked the canteen to bring some sandwiches. Reckon ill be here past 6.00  by the time i get home ill have been on the go for 16 hours or more, and im already knackered. Have agreat ride dont let the goths get you,  

« Reply #488 on: 29 October, 2010, 04:52:58 pm »
Sorry to hear that, Aidan. We'll have to book another one for you.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #489 on: 29 October, 2010, 04:56:24 pm »
Hard luck, Aidan. There's always next year.

I'm about to try and escape from work early (well - when I'm supposed to finish) before someone brings me another job which simply "has to be sorted today". If they can't find me it will have to wait...

« Reply #490 on: 29 October, 2010, 05:08:37 pm »
this isnt going to happen for me, im still in Coventry its been an intense day and we arent finished yet. My boss has just asked the canteen to bring some sandwiches. Reckon ill be here past 6.00  by the time i get home ill have been on the go for 16 hours or more, and im already knackered. Have agreat ride dont let the goths get you,  

oh dear, you're not having luck with these rides are you?  Well, it'll make it all the better when you DO manage to make it.

Right, the trike's downstairs.  I have my touring bags, so that I can fit in all the maps I might need, water, tools, beaker, nutrition (if you can call chocolate raisins and jaffa cakes nutrition) etc.

I have a couple of subtle Halloweeny decorations (those Skully lights were a lucky find!), and if I can work out how to fix it on, something less subtle. I'm still wavering, but I might wear the Foska Bones, and carry something lighterweight in case I really get too hot.

I'll eat later, then try and get a couple of hours nap before breakfast.  See everyone at the station, probably about 11.30ish.

A colleague jokingly suggested brewing up in the layby opposite Fylingdales - I imagine that would have us investigated pretty quickly!  I like the idea of trying to light up the Hole of Horcum...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #491 on: 29 October, 2010, 05:29:07 pm »
I'm at home in Liverpool, my trains at 8:22 so I've time for pizza.

It's warm, but blowing a hoolie, and the clouds look dark & damp.....

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #492 on: 29 October, 2010, 06:01:56 pm »
Okay, I'm out.   :(

Knee is unstable and fatiguing and generally Not Happy, to the point where it's starting to object to the stairs.  I tried riding round the block, and it felt like I'd just ridden a 200.

It would be asking for it to try to ride further than the shops in this state.

I am Not Impressed.  I put skulls[1] on my bike and everything!   >:(

[1] Wilko didn't have any light-up patellas.

« Reply #493 on: 29 October, 2010, 06:08:54 pm »
 :( :(

Dammit,  that means I'll have to eat your share of the CAKE mountain !

Bad luck Kim,  feet up & a good book .  Think of us when you hear the wind & rain at 2AM.....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #494 on: 29 October, 2010, 06:22:28 pm »
bad luck Kim.  Next time, etc etc...

We'll raise a cuppa to you and other absent friends, assuming said cuppa doesn't get whipped out of our hands by the wind....

« Reply #495 on: 29 October, 2010, 06:41:22 pm »
Bad luck, Kim and Aidan.

It's damn windy in Darlo - but wow! it's good when it's behind you. 

« Reply #496 on: 29 October, 2010, 07:10:28 pm »
I've stopped on the A38 for a quick 'visit' and to eat my tea. I've done around 180 miles so far, so hopefully not to much further to go.
Actually, it is rocket science.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #497 on: 29 October, 2010, 07:39:59 pm »
Oh Kim, that's a reet bugger. But probably a sensible choice :(  You'll have to come over one weekend and we'll ride to a steam train.

« Reply #498 on: 29 October, 2010, 07:55:56 pm »
Right, I'm logging off to go and lie down for a bit.  See you all at the station!

« Reply #499 on: 29 October, 2010, 08:04:35 pm »
Sleep? Pah.  I'll just have nineteen cups of coffee.