Author Topic: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender  (Read 75301 times)

Re: Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random 29/10/10 Whitby Weekender
« Reply #525 on: 30 October, 2010, 06:07:21 pm »
Did you ride from pickering and were the winds still bad? I found them very tiring
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #526 on: 30 October, 2010, 06:09:19 pm »
Oh and many thanks to the intrepid souls who hauled stoves up the hills and operated them in a gale!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #527 on: 30 October, 2010, 06:22:36 pm »
Did you ride from pickering and were the winds still bad? I found them very tiring

A bit wearing, but not awful - perhaps they'd died down a bit.

Yes, huge tanks to the brewmasters - that cuppa was just what was needed, even if we got a bit cold drinking it!

And of course, thanks people for all the cake!  Lovely!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #528 on: 30 October, 2010, 06:27:50 pm »
Fed.  Need more tea. Tired. Strictly on telly.  I'll post an account tomorrow. Now, tea and bed...

Great pic at the station BTW, cheers for that Mr Bunbury.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #529 on: 30 October, 2010, 07:15:51 pm »
Tired and sleepy and full of chips.  Tigerbiten managed to catch 40 winks and a brew and has headed off north, and TimO has been fed and watered and headed off south.  Well, I hope that's the direction they went anyway.  Having had about 6 hours kip in total over the last 3 nights/days, I might need to go nod soon.  Thanks all for a lovely night out.  Nice to see so many familiar faces again, and meet a couple of new forumites.  The round of applause for not wimping out down Blue Bank (and the fact that Deano deprived himself of the fun of the descent and stayed behind me in case I had a collywobble or a brake cable moment!) was appreciated.

« Reply #530 on: 30 October, 2010, 07:49:22 pm »
I want to do this ride from my house but perhaps on a moonlit summer night :)
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #531 on: 30 October, 2010, 09:41:13 pm »

Yes , we have to do these again next summer, we can pick you up on the way Pat :thumbsup:

« Reply #532 on: 30 October, 2010, 10:23:20 pm »
I'm still traveling, I stopped in one service station for a snooze, and I've just stopped to drink some Red Bull which will hopefully wake me up a bit!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #533 on: 31 October, 2010, 01:26:55 am »
Right, back in Croydon after something like 43 hours awake.  Time to go to bed, I need to be up in a few hours to pick Talisker up from the cattery.

Even though I've drunk a far amount of caffeine, I suspect I won't have much of a problem getting to sleep!

« Reply #534 on: 31 October, 2010, 09:09:30 am »
I decided to trundle back from Whitby by bike, fancied a go at getting back up Blue Bank.  Arrived home at 1pm, very tired - that's the first 100miles I've done in a long time. Blue bank turned out to be not that hard; going down it in the dark, it looked like a cliff!.

Headwinds all the way. Hope the steamies get back ok.

Well done!  Just think, tigerbiten nearly hit 50 mph going down that cliff in the dark :o

« Reply #535 on: 31 October, 2010, 10:38:44 am »
Thanks, everyone, for a lovely ride.  I was pleased that so many came along, and that people had travelled such distances!  Thirteen seemed an apt number.

The moon-and-star-lit ride across the moors after the stop was magical.  Maybe the stop was a tad exposed, but never mind.  Cracking cafe in Whitby, too, where we saw a couple of real-live goths - the weekend wouldn't have been complete without them.

Stonking tailwind the whole way, as well.  Shame I forgot to put film in my camera, but I'll have a look at the two or three photos I took, and upload them later.

I got back to Darlo about 11, and dozed yesterday afternoon away.  Whitby works really well, if you're returning to the north.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #536 on: 31 October, 2010, 10:50:45 am »
Calling the ones we saw in the cafe "live" might have been pushing it a little, they certainly seemed worse for wear, I think I, with my b0rked knee, was in a better state than they were :)

After Deano and Slowcoach got on the train to Darlo we saw an number of "interesting" goths gathering at 'Boro station to head off to Whitby.  I must be getting old, as my thoughts varied from "OMG" to "Would you dare?" The guys with the long black leather trench coat, plastic foam hair extensions and face mask (ala a paint sprayer, but in black leather) was particularly amusing, to my mind at least :)

I am back in the land of the living now, knee and leg have returned to normal operation and I am looking forward to the next night ride, sometime next year.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #537 on: 31 October, 2010, 10:53:31 am »

Yes , we have to do these again next summer, we can pick you up on the way Pat :thumbsup:

There was talk of that.  I think a slightly longer route would work, so a loop somewhere would be called for.  It'd be fabulous in summer.

« Reply #538 on: 31 October, 2010, 10:54:43 am »
Calling the ones we saw in the cafe "live" might have been pushing it a little, they certainly seemed worse for wear, I think I, with my b0rked knee, was in a better state than they were :)

After Deano and Slowcoach got on the train to Darlo we saw an number of "interesting" goths gathering at 'Boro station to head off to Whitby.  I must be getting old, as my thoughts varied from "OMG" to "Would you dare?" The guys with the long black leather trench coat, plastic foam hair extensions and face mask (ala a paint sprayer, but in black leather) was particularly amusing, to my mind at least :)

I am back in the land of the living now, knee and leg have returned to normal operation and I am looking forward to the next night ride, sometime next year.

Don't goths always look like that? ;D

I'm glad your knee's better.  Mine seemed a bit sore last night, I'll take it for a wee trot around the tracks today and see how I go.

« Reply #539 on: 31 October, 2010, 11:39:51 am »
That was a very fine weekend. :thumbsup:

I left home at around 2pm, expecting to have plenty of time to get to York, but actually arrived around 10pm after a somewhat knackering 300 mile route.  I broadly followed tiermat's route, which aside from traffic on the M25 and M40 was mostly not too busy.  Distance and time alone made it a bit of a slog.

Once arrived at Chez-Crinkly (with some help from TigerBiten, GPSes seem to have some issues with the roads around there), I had a couple of hours to be replenished with tea, and to organise and prepare myself.  Progressively more and more cyclists appeared, variously scattering bikes in the living room, and around the front and back of the house.  Eventually, just before midnight, we set off from CrinklyLion's house for the station, to meet up with final few people.

At the station our numbers swelled to fourteen, although Mr Bunbury only met up with us briefly before continuing on his way.  As mentioned earlier, the remaining thirteen seem particularly apposite for the ride.

The ride out across the flats of Yorkshire was very nice, and had only minimal traffic, unlike the FNRttCs I've done from London, for which the traffic rarely disappears before the first hour is completed.  Once we hit the moors, the hills really weren't too bad at all, far less trouble than I had been led to believe.  At times the skies cleared completely, and the moon and stars were very visible.  The weather throughout the night was actually far better than had been forecast, with absolutely no rain, and a stiff tailwind that blew us along.

That tailwind was fine whilst cycling, since it almost matched our speed, most of the time we cycled in almost still air.  When we stopped for 3amses, it was in a particularly exposed location, and the stoves were not all that happy with the wind.  I sat down in front of mine and together with my pannier and the stoves own wind shield, mine wasn't too bad, and boiled up a saucepan of water in only a few minutes.  I think four or five stoves were brought out, and some hot water was thrown away, since too much was available!  TigerBiten had a good supply of water, and indeed I think we only used a fraction of it for tea and coffee!  If we do this ride again, we really need to organise cookers and suchlike more carefully, there were far too many, and it would make more sense to have fewer cookers, and more things like wind breaks.  Of course much Cake was also consumed with our drinks. ;D

The ride down from the moors into Whitby was fun, although Blue Bank was not the final hill as might have been expected, and we had to struggle up another one before the final run in.  I was a bit nervous of the steep downhills, and didn't do near 50mph down Blue Bank!  The breakfast stop was very good, that was one of the best breakfasts I've had after a night ride, although it's unusual to meet anyone else in that sort of situation, after a night ride we normally have cafes entirely to ourselves.  In that one the locals almost outnumbered us.

After buying tickets for the steam train, we had a brief wander around Whitby, and along the breakwater out from the front.  There were an eclectic mixture of Goths, the exact definition of Goth is more than hard to pin down, and seemed to cover clothing from black and red through to pink, as well as styles including Japanese Amine, really big boots, black makeup, and what seemed to me to be neo-Victorian (something like a cross between traditional Victorian dress and steam punk).

The guard on the steam train seemed worried about whether we would be able to get all the cycles onto the train.  There were only a couple of additional bicycles on top of our seven, including two tricycles.  Actually we fitted them all on easily, with plenty of spare capacity, I've fitted almost as many cycles into the space normally provided for two bicycles on many modern trains.

The steam train ride was very pleasent, it takes a quite scenic run through the values, with the excitingly chunky terrain visible on both sides of the lines.  We went past the Pacific Class Sir Nigel Gresley at one station, which would have been an impressive train to stop and look at more carefully if we'd had the chance.

Once we got to Pickering, we continued on our way across the flatter lands of Yorkshire, the weather continued to be exceptional, and was very sunny at times.  Eventually we got back to York, having shed the odd rider along the way.

TigerBiten and myself arrived back with CrinklyLion, and had a brief chance to recuperate with tea and chips in my case.  TigerBiten got his head down for a couple of hours, although I didn't feel particularly tired at that point.  Eventually we all departed the CrinklyLion's good hospitality, and I left for the journey across the motorways of the UK.  I took a much more direct route than on the way up, a lot of it being via the A1(M) and M1, which wasn't at all busy compared to the journey on the way up.  I had to stop several times for a loo break, a bit of a snooze, and something to drink.  By the time I got back to Croydon I'd drunk three cans of Redbull and a can of Coke, which managed to keep me awake, but not as well as it has worked on previous occasions.  I guess being up for 40+ hours makes the body a lot less inclined to accept caffeine as an alternative!

Clearly I'm still a bit zonked, even after a nights sleep, with the extra hour from the clock change.  One of my neighbours just knocked on the door to tell me I'd left the car lights on, after picking Talisker up from the cattery (it's a bit dark and raining here in Croydon).

In summary, the ride from York to Whitby made a fine night ride, although possibly a little shorter than would be perfect.  I'd do it again, although the fifteen odd hours spent driving to and from the North was less than optimal, so I may need to consider an alternative approach to travel before doing that trip again.

« Reply #540 on: 31 October, 2010, 02:46:07 pm »
what seemed to me to be neo-Victorian (something like a cross between traditional Victorian dress and steam punk).

That chap on the train was spectacular, with the waxed moustache, goggles, kilt and steam-punk ray gun.

And it was the Nigel Greasley you saw?  I was looking the other way as we chuffed by, so I missed it, and then heard you mention it.  That was the loco on the postcard I sent my nephews.

A great ride, thanks to all who came, and to Deano for organising us.

I will have had the shortest ride to the rendezvous, unless you count the 2 miles detour on the way home from work to pick up the trike from the lockup. Anyway, we were all assembled in good time, and set off on our now customary route out of town (Although Crinkles and I fancy mixing things up a bit next time, to take in the Minster and Petergate).  Tim was saying how quickly we were out of town - well, compared to London, I suppose York is a village.  It's one of the joys of the place, that you can be out of town in about 10 minutes in any direction.

I think the A166 was even quieter than last time, and anyway, we were off it in no time and into the little lanes towards Malton. It started to get a little bit lumpy just before Malton - nothing, I know, to most of you, but we flatlanders notice these things. There was a nice descent into Malton, where I think I may have briefly exceeded the urban speed limit, and I also saw a milkfloat at work - at about 2am, that's an early pinta!

After Pickering the hills proper started, and it felt like it was uphill for ever, although it was the best sort of uphill for me, long and slow. I'd like to do that road up to the Hole of Horcum the other way sometime, and in the light, I reckon I could get a fair bit of momentum up.  Anyway, onwards and upwards, and my very misty recollection of the road from driving on it made me think that the carpark teastop would be just round the next bend - about 4 bends later, I was finally right!  The stove crew had been hard at work (the benefit of being a slowcoach, I didn't have to wait for hot water!), for which huge thanks - the hot drink was very welcome, even if it was a bit chilly while sitting still. The nip of slomething a little stronger I was offered helped too - in my befuddled state, I can't put a name to the provider..?  After some minor mudguard fettling and bolt replacement we were off again, and warming up a little on a few steeper little hills - although my impression is that we did that road in the right direction - the climbs were long and slow but manageable, and the downs seemed sharper and steeper.  Traffic was still light, although I think by now there were some early workers getting going, and I had an entertaining moment tackling the steep downhill and double bend at the foot of Fylingdales, at the same time as an overtaking car and an oncoming HGV!

One more long slow slog up, complete with decorated roadside Christmas tree (!?!), and we were assembling for the plumet down Blue Bank.  All the dire warning signs and soft verge escape lanes added to the atmosphere, and it was great fun - I let the trike have it's way until the first perpendicular-drop-with-bend, when the brakes went on. Tigerbiten is braver than me - actually, so are most people!  Another time, I might get a bit faster - I've no idea what my max speed was on the bank - the max overall was 38, but I don't know when I hit that. 

Once again my memory of the road turned out to be hazy, as I thought Blue Bank led us to the suburbs of Whitby, when in fact another substantial hill lay between Sleights and Whitby. However, once at the roundabout on the main road, we had it pretty much downhill all the way to the station and harbour.  CrinklyLion's patent 'Ask a Cabbie' method saw us recommended to a cafe along the seafront, which did indeed contain fryups and fishermen, albeit none of them playing the accordian or singing sea shanties. I'll forgive that, given the fascinating guest appearance of the living dead goths, and the size of the mug of tea provided.

Here endeth the ride out.

« Reply #541 on: 31 October, 2010, 02:55:25 pm »
The nip of slomething a little stronger I was offered helped too - in my befuddled state, I can't put a name to the provider..? 

Trying to live up to my wicked reputation by plying innocent ladies with strong drink.... :demon:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #542 on: 31 October, 2010, 03:00:30 pm »
And it was the Nigel Greasley you saw?  I was looking the other way as we chuffed by, so I missed it, and then heard you mention it. ...

It was definitely the Sir Nigel Gresley, I saw enough of the name to Google for it.

... The nip of slomething a little stronger I was offered helped too - in my befuddled state, I can't put a name to the provider..?

Likewise, I remember this, but have no idea who it was. :-[  Thank you whoever you may be!

...with decorated roadside Christmas tree (!?!)

That was one of the more bizarre things I saw on the ride (Whitby Goths excepted).

« Reply #543 on: 31 October, 2010, 03:24:57 pm »
The nip of slomething a little stronger I was offered helped too - in my befuddled state, I can't put a name to the provider..? 

Trying to live up to my wicked reputation by plying innocent ladies with strong drink.... :demon:

I'm always willing to be corrupted...   ;)  Many thanks!

And so, refueled with fried pork and other products, we came out of the cafe into proper daylight at last. Our first task was to head back to the station, and lay to rest my fears of not being able to get onto the train. After a bit of a wait for the ticket office to open, during which a few people dithered about their preferred route home, we piled in. Those with more immediate tickets to buy went first and then CL approached the desk and asked "Can we get 7 people and 7 bikes onto the 11am steam train?"

'Yes, sure!' came the welcome reply, and my fret level could go down to mere amber.  After that we retired to the station cafe to top up with tea, and discuss sujects as wide ranging as nuclear waste and tram tracks. CL was all for heading to the beach to build sandcastles, and I'd have joined her, but the tide was in, which severely limited the amount of beach available - so we took a stroll along the prom prom prom instead, where was was no band going tiddly-om-pom-pom, but there was an accordianist, even if he wasn't playing sea shanties.  Strangely for the seaside, there seemed to be no wind at all at that point.

Back at the station we released our steed from the railings we'd locked them to (With official approval - try that on a mainline station!) and wheeled round to the platform to await our chuff chuff. The guard did raise my fret level once again by looking dubious at the number of bikes and trikes, but of course there was bags of room, and we all got on fine. The train journey was very pretty in the autumn sun, so nice to see what it was we'd passed through hours earlier. We were also amused by the small goth playing peekaboo through a glass partition with a rottweiler dog - she was popping up and down from behind a seat, and the dog looked most bemused!

Decanting at Pickering we organised ourselves and after a short pause for Tim to imbibe some proper food (we'd all had cake on the train, and I was determined to last the day on confectionary alone), we were off, under the leadership of Uncle Phil, who led us along a small road, which got smaller, and smaller.... And then Tigerbiten got a puncture.  Fixed in short order, on we went again, and just before the road became a farmyard, I wondered what the screams were, coming from my right - glancing across, I saw the top of a roller coaster, and remembered that FlamingoLand is just outside Malton.  Across the farmyard (slightly muddy) and we were out onto proper roads again.  The wind was definitely stronger here than it had been at Whitby, but not as bad as it might have been, given the help we got outbound. At just before Amotherly we came across a dapper gent in cravat and tweed hacking home from a hunt - his horse seemed relatively unconcerned by the 'bents. The rest of the hunt was gathered at the next corner, and once past them we were heading for our last big climb of the day - as Uncle Phil put it, not the last hill, but the last hill of any consequence.

(rats, my monitor's having a fit.  I'll have to break off and restart...)

« Reply #544 on: 31 October, 2010, 03:47:17 pm »
And I'm back...

We stopped for a fortifying handful of coffee cake (after 60 miles or so in a pannier, it was beyond slicing) and then tackled the hill up the escarpement - another long slow slog, but a fantastic view when we looked back from the top.  Then there was a bit of undulation down to and past Castle Howard (and as someone else said before, the downs on that long straight were never enough to get you up the ups), and then one last glorious descent, where I was able to put my leaning into the turns into full effect, before we turned off towards Thornton le Clay.  Uncle Phil left us for the turn to York-ish, and I took over leading duties through Strensall Common, Strensall and Huntingdon, until the party split into tow - those returning to CrinklyLion's place to pick up cars, and those heading for the station, following me.  I said farewell under the west end of the Minster at about 5pm, and pedalled the 500 yards home, where my downstairs neighbour was just coming in too, and was suitably impressed by my tales of daring-do.  I dumped my bags, changed into trainers and went straight back out for a takeaway - any pause and I'd have settled down too much.  I was in bed watching Strictly Come Dancing by 6.30, and gave up trying to stay awake halfway through Casualty at about 9.30.

Although I was tired of course, and my legs ached a bit, I was pleased once again not to feel utterly exhausted, and today I'm fine. I took the trike back to the lockup, and fettled it a bit, tightening the brakes and sorting the cable sag that saw me struggling to get back into the big ring at one point yesterday. 

A great ride, and one we should repeat in the summer when we might get a nice view of the moors at sunrise.  I'll have to be fit enough to ride back too, at some stage....

« Reply #545 on: 31 October, 2010, 03:58:38 pm »
I'm wondering about another ride, already (calm down, knees, I'll give you time to recover).

Starting from york is convenient for transport (and people who live next door to train station), but limits rides a bit.

Alternative starting places:
Thirsk
Northallerton
Darlington

Alternative finishing places:
Knaresborough
Harrogate
Ilkley

I did map out a ride from Northallerton to Harrogate (http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Northallerton-to-Harrogate), but that might be a bit hilly - it comes out at just under one mile of climbing. With a bit of route juggling, we could skwibble it to a mile, then it becomes the One mile in a Century route. Worth doing just for the name (but not before I have better gears).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #546 on: 31 October, 2010, 04:46:22 pm »
Spurn Head would be a good ride, though it'd top 100 miles once you'd ridden back to Hull to catch a train. 

York-Manchester would be 70 miles with lots of hilly Pennine goodness in the way.  Those who wanted could jump on the train between Huddersfield and Stalybridge, but the first train to stop at those stations on Saturday morning is the 05:26 from York, so that's probably scuppered that plan.

York-Darlington and York-Sheffield are two feasible options. 

If you take the route through Sunny Scunny rather than via the Humber Bridge, York-Lincoln is 75 flat miles and should be doable without a massive headwind.  For a shorter ride, Sheffield-Lincoln would possibly be a bit more interesting and would be about 50 miles.  Sheffield should be no problem transport-wise for the Yorkies, there are about 3 trains between them each minute (okay, I exaggerate).  We could go for a hillclimb at the end and wait for the plenty of nice cafes in Lincoln to open.

« Reply #547 on: 31 October, 2010, 05:34:06 pm »
Of course we could be terribly dull and do loops out of (and therefore back to) York (or other suitbale stations).... I know it's not exactly 'somewhere random' though.

I already have a vague idea of a ride that takes in the three big powerstations south of York. They should be nice and lit up at night, and it'll be virtually dead flat. Might even be able to get a service station coffee stop, although it would be annoyingly not half way, and more near the start or the end, depending on whether we did the powerstation in alphabetical order or reverse.  That would be a FNRpSR (Friday Night Ride past Somewhere Random)  Or York to the Humber Bridge and back - about a century I think.  Anyone fancy brewing up sitting on the bike lane halfway across the bridge?  (Hmm, I wonder if there's a byelaw forbidding cooking on bridges...)

If we wanted an easier distance ride to encourage new people to night riding, Hornsea is about 45 miles, according to a rough route I just made on Bikehike, via Market Weighton and Beverley - it could probably be extended anyway, to avoid the more major roads - I gather that the A1079 isn't fun at any time of day.  of course, too short a route, and you get there too early and there's no chance of a cafe open - I realise there's some skill to planning this stuff so that it works out! (or, we make friends with people with camper vans).

Anyway, I suspect night riding is off now until... March? April?  Plenty of time to have ideas, maybe do some daytime recce rides. I've so enjoyed the first two, thanks to great company and routes.

LindaG

« Reply #548 on: 31 October, 2010, 06:49:31 pm »
[envious]You bunch of jammy gets.  It sounds fantastic. [/envious]

Count me in next time.  Deano?  Please to be arranging another tailwind.  We were driving to Scotland in that wind, hoping it was of the right persuasion for your needs that night. 

Oh - great photo by the way.  Taken by Bunbury, I presume, since he isn't in it?

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #549 on: 31 October, 2010, 07:37:11 pm »
[envious]You bunch of jammy gets.  It sounds fantastic. [/envious]
+1.
I did Derby to Lincoln during the daytime on Friday.  The last 12 miles, including crossing the Trent (which is quite big by then) are on a converted railway path, (courtesy of S*str*ns).  Quite surprisingly, this has very few gates and impediments to progress.  However, there's one awful bit - the A46 shared bridge over the River Witham between Skellingthorpe and Lincoln is a METRE wide between fence-protecting-bikes-from-fresh-air-then-splosh and fence-protecting-bikes-from-cars.  There are width-restricting gates before and after this bridge - so trikes and 'bents may have to find a different route.

Sheffield to Lincoln would use that route.  Facing into the sunrise.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip