Author Topic: Cities fit for cycling  (Read 19320 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Cities fit for cycling
« Reply #100 on: 21 February, 2012, 06:30:35 pm »
Gaaarrgghh TG, you're one of those people I hate, aren't you  ;) I get really wound up by people who press the button before actually looking to see whether or not they can cross - what's the point in delaying other people when you could just cross the road straight away? 

« Reply #101 on: 21 February, 2012, 06:36:39 pm »
That concrete pram made I larf!!!  ;D
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

AndyK

« Reply #102 on: 21 February, 2012, 06:41:09 pm »
Gaaarrgghh TG, you're one of those people I hate, aren't you  ;) I get really wound up by people who press the button before actually looking to see whether or not they can cross - what's the point in delaying other people when you could just cross the road straight away?

It's Pavlovian. Today it seems the majority of those under 40 cannot use a crossing unless they press a button and a little green man lights up. Even if the road is completely empty they will still press that button.

« Reply #103 on: 21 February, 2012, 06:43:42 pm »

Apart from the fact that some other pedestrian may be able to cross without a lengthy wait, there is also the chance that I may have caused an impatient motorist to stop because a light is red, when they probably would have just bullied their way past a pedestrian crossing the road.
I also find it amusing when I'm on the recieving end on my bike and have to wait for the invisible man to cross the road. :D Even more so when others around me get annoyed.
People seem not to mind so much waiting at red traffic lights when the road is clear. ::-)

Saying all that. I was glad that a woman didn't press the button when I was riding a 25 mile TT because I was the only thing on the road at the time. There was a marshall stationed there to report anyone jumping the red light and any offending rider would be disqualified.
Still didn't do a very good time though. :'( :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #104 on: 21 February, 2012, 06:46:08 pm »
I think we should all do this and extend it, so that whenever you pass a pedestrian crossing, you push the button whether you want to cross or not.

I believe this is compulsory for the under-fives.  I used to delight in stopping enormous lorries on the Archway Road as a small child.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #105 on: 21 February, 2012, 06:48:51 pm »
Some teenage girls once stopped me in Streatham without crossing the road, so I told them to "have a salad". I felt a bit bad about being such a meanie, but it was funny hearing them: "Shut up! Shut up!".

« Reply #106 on: 21 February, 2012, 06:50:45 pm »

It's Pavlovian. Today it seems the majority of those under 40 cannot use a crossing unless they press a button and a little green man lights up. Even if the road is completely empty they will still press that button.

Or just stand next to the button without pressing, playing with their mobile phone.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #107 on: 21 February, 2012, 10:49:19 pm »
Here the Puffin crossing appears to be set to change only when there is a Puffin waiting to cross.
Are you on Lundy?  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #108 on: 22 February, 2012, 12:40:17 am »
Some teenage girls once stopped me in Streatham without crossing the road, so I told them to "have a salad". I felt a bit bad about being such a meanie, but it was funny hearing them: "Shut up! Shut up!".

So, how fat were they  ???
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #109 on: 22 February, 2012, 08:23:07 am »

So, how fat were they  ???

Not at all, but it clearly hit home.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #110 on: 22 February, 2012, 09:49:25 am »
I remember riding round Swindon on my motorbike some time around 1990 - one of those foolish things you do when young! - and some of the zebra crossings there were raised, like a large, stripy speed bump. I think these were removed sometime later. In some other countries speed bumps are often placed on the approach to zebras - and those tend to be proper bumps, like half a mains water pipe tarmacced into the road, as opposed to the rather mild ones favoured here. I'm not sure which of these methods works best, if either. They also seem to be installing some zebras in Brizzle which are flush, no step up/down the kerb, but the gradient is gradual so vehicles don't experience any bump. Good for wheeled footway users, obviously, but they haven't finished them yet so I'll reserve judgment for the time being.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #111 on: 23 February, 2012, 09:06:26 am »
Does anyone know if there is any coverage from the House of Commons today?
I see its in the Westminster Hall from 2.30pm until 5.30

http://services.parliament.uk/calendar/#!/calendar/Commons/WestminsterHall/2012/2/23/events.html

« Reply #112 on: 24 February, 2012, 10:19:41 am »
Quote from: fboab
Mr Ruffley,

Not long ago, I contacted you about cycling. I asked you to support the Times' Campaign. Your researchers replied with a very cut & paste-d stock response which did not address any of the specifics I raised.

It was therefore no real surprise to me that you did not sign the Early Day Motion, nor take part in the debate.

Are you completely unconcerned for the safety of cyclists and other vulnerable road users?

Are you happy that everything that could be done, is being done?

Perhaps you could justify this action (or rather, inaction) to me?

fboab

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #113 on: 13 December, 2012, 02:27:58 pm »
And as the editor of the Times is pushed out, who knows what will happen to this campaign.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #114 on: 13 December, 2012, 07:51:22 pm »
And as the editor of the Times is pushed out, who knows what will happen to this campaign.

I've had some dealings with his successor and don't hold out much hope.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #115 on: 14 December, 2012, 04:04:43 pm »
The lorry driver who hit Mary Bowers has been given an eight-month ban and a £2700 fine. The jury convicted him of being guilty of careless (not dangerous) driving. He admits to being on his (handsfree) phone at the time he hit her.

She was in ‘direct sight’ through his windscreen for at least ten seconds, and after he jumped out of the cab when he heard her screams, he left the handbrake off and the vehicle continued to roll over her. He admits he ‘should have looked better’.

I feel sick.

« Reply #116 on: 14 December, 2012, 04:07:34 pm »
£2700? one months wage, maybe a bit more.

« Reply #117 on: 14 December, 2012, 04:14:21 pm »
I think the thing that upsets me most is that the jurors could have found him guilty of dangerous driving, and they decided he was just careless. It just goes to show where the general public’s sympathies lie. Careless in charge of an HGV is dangerous, IMO.

I’ve been following her sister’s blog, The Waiting Room, mostly because we have a mutual friend (I don’t know Mary). While her sister does a good job of making it as upbeat and positive as she can manage, I know where my sympathies lie.

« Reply #118 on: 14 December, 2012, 04:19:51 pm »
The lorry driver who hit Mary Bowers has been given an eight-month ban and a £2700 fine. The jury convicted him of being guilty of careless (not dangerous) driving. He admits to being on his (handsfree) phone at the time he hit her.

She was in ‘direct sight’ through his windscreen for at least ten seconds, and after he jumped out of the cab when he heard her screams, he left the handbrake off and the vehicle continued to roll over her. He admits he ‘should have looked better’.

I feel sick.

Me too.

I agree that some of these recent cases do show where most people's sympathies lie. Scary.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #119 on: 14 December, 2012, 05:25:49 pm »
When legislators, police, prosecutors, defenders, judges and juries are drivers, there is bound to be a bias in the system.

« Reply #120 on: 14 December, 2012, 05:30:05 pm »
But just once, one of them has to be a cyclist as well??

« Reply #121 on: 14 December, 2012, 06:53:19 pm »
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/2700-fine-is-an-insult-says-father-of-critically-injured-cyclist-mary-bowers-8417866.html

That lot really makes me wonder what sort of people were on the jury in terms of the attitudes they brought to bear during their deliberations. Or perhaps the judge's directions were such that they were constrained in some way for legal reasons that are beyond me.

« Reply #122 on: 15 December, 2012, 02:35:10 pm »
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3632283.ece

The judge's comments after the verdict:

During legal discussions, the judge had made clear that a guilty verdict would result in a custodial sentence.
After the jury verdict, the judge said that her “hands were tied” over sentencing, adding: “The irony is Mary Bowers has barely recovered but had she not survived, the situation would be very different.”
Causing death by dangerous driving carries a maximum 14-year sentence whereas causing death by careless driving carries a maximum five-year sentence. There is no custodial option for careless driving.

How would it be "very different"? Look at the dooring case: even if Mary Bowers had died, the jury probably still would not have convicted. They only bothered to spend an hour on their decision on this occasion.

At least we have this:

Outside the court, Beiu said that he was devastated by the incident. “I will regret it for the rest of my life. I will never drive lorries again,” he said.

These verdicts mean that there is no deterrent effect for other dangerous drivers.

« Reply #123 on: 15 December, 2012, 02:48:47 pm »
Its making me question how else can I be more cautious around these large killers.
But what is frightening me more is the thought that there will also be people reading these reports who will now drive their killing machines with even less care.

spindrift

« Reply #124 on: 15 December, 2012, 03:41:10 pm »
Perhaps we are expected to knock on the lorry door if we notice a driver behind us at the lights chatting on a mobile and say:

"Sorry, excuse me, I am here!"