Author Topic: Brompification pedals & SJS Cycles  (Read 1681 times)

Brompification pedals & SJS Cycles
« on: 11 December, 2016, 03:27:21 pm »
I fitted some of these, Ti axles, last January, along with a raft of other Ti parts to my Brommie.
Yesterday, whilst riding to Lewisham station, I could feel a little clunk on each pedal rotation of the left pedal.
Can't be, I thought - the bike has probably done no more than 250 dry miles since I fitted the pedals - but sure enough, a visual inspection clearly show there to be some slop between the pedal body and the axle :(
I would've expected the bayonet fitting for the pedal to fail before the pedal bearing does.
SJS cycles will be getting a call tomorrow morning.

Part2:
Spoke with SJS this morning. First response from them was that Brompification were no longer trading ( I was aware of this), so warranty work could be an issue.
Next, I was told that pedals with bushes, as opposed to bearings, always had some play.
I explained that there was no play in the RH pedal, and that the play in the LH pedal had manifested itself suddenly on Saturday - it wasn't there to start with....
Therefollowed some mumblings about bushes needing to bed-in which could be a cause of a little play (I elected to mostly ignore this) followed by an invitation to send them some video footage showing the play.
This was easy to do, the results of which can be seen here.

A short while later, during a follow-up call, SJS said that there was definitely something wrong with  the pedal and there was no way it should look like that.
They offered to send me a bearing / bush repair kit so that I could fit it.
I suggested that I send them the pedal, so that they could fit the kit to it - to which they agreed.
I asked what the chances were of having the repaired pedal back before Xmas, they seemed to think it wouldn't be a problem.

So, from having been mildly anxious about the outcome to this, I am now mildly optimistic.
In the absence of any of these pedals from stock, I'm struggling to see what more SJS Cycles could offer.