Author Topic: Great Yorkshire Bike Ride 2009  (Read 1967 times)

Great Yorkshire Bike Ride 2009
« on: 15 June, 2009, 11:24:51 am »
This is an annual charity bike ride of approximately 75 miles from Wetherby race course to Filey on the Yorkshire coast mainly on small back roads through some very pretty scenery. Approximately 1500 riders take part.

On Friday night there was a party and both myself and Simon my riding companion were admirably restrained whilst everyone else got partook of far too much alcohol. We did eat too much of the delicious curries provided by our hosts though and were to spend the next day jet propelled round the ride. Managed to get home and to bed for midnight as we had a 6:00am start.

6:00am and I'm up showered and carrying my pannier and bar bag round to Ralph's house. Simon is already there and the bikes are mounted on Ralph's bike rack. He has kindly volunteered to drive us to the start at Wetherby and pick us up at the finish in Filey. We get going and it only takes 45 minutes to travel the deserted early morning roads to Wetherby race course. we say goodbye to Ralph and go and register at the start. Arriving nice and early is a good move as we find ourselves in the second row at the start which is good as with 1500 entrants for the ride and riders getting away in staggered intervals those at the back of the queue will start a couple of hours after those at the front.
Joy of joy the organisers decide that since the marshals are all in place along the route we can set off at 7:30 instead of 8:00 so after a mere 15 minutes waiting during which I breakfast on flapjack we are off.
Since I last did this ride in 2006 they have changed the first part of the route on police advice and it's certainly easier now to get away from the start but it does mean that the first 5 mile are quite boring shadowing the new A1-M. It is however a nice wide smooth road and warms up the legs and lets the riders start to spread out. Cars do come along it at a fair clip though and we obey the organisers pleas to keep to single file on this section.
Soon enough we turn right off on to a small country lane waving our thanks at the marshal posted at the junction. From now on small lanes will be the norm. We have already been past be a few riders but don't care as our plan was to start from the front and fall back through the field as the we go, the aim is just to enjoy the ride. The weather is perfect, no wind  and hazy cloud.
Quickly we arrive at the first drink stop in Great Ouseburn but had already decided not to bother stopping as we have water in our bottles and want to keep our momentum up on this first flat section across the vale of York. The hedgerows are are beautiful and verdant and the countryside smells of early summer.
We arrive at the old toll bridge over the river Ure at Aldwark. Today the toll is waved for riders and we are waved across. Its a great old curiosity with a single lane carriage way and a wooden plank decking.  Apparently it was damaged by an iceberg back in the 19th century and had to be rebuilt ! No icebergs today and we rattle across continue toward Alne.
My bike is making a strange noise. I think the raceblades are perhaps catching on the tire but adjusting them doesn't help. Doesn't seem to be slowing me down though and my bike still free wheels faster than Simons.
As we approach Easingwold the sun is starting to punch through the hazy cloud and it starts to get hotter. Over the A19 and into Easingwold and as we exit Easingwold (there's a clue in teh name there) we start the first climb a long but not too steep grind up to Crayke. Down the other side of the hill and we pick up speed again for the flat run into the pretty village of Stillington. The second drinks stop is here and we do stop at this one. There is a sign on the table where they are dispensing orange juice and bananas that lets us know we have completed 28 miles. Its only 9:30. 14mph average so far, not bad for someone who hasn't been riding hardly at all for the last 6 months and a 65 year old (Simon) on his first long bike ride (he has done a couple of 20 mile loops round our village in preparation). We stow out wind breakers and I also put my helmet in my pannier as its bugging me. Sunglasses on and we set off again knowing that from here in its going to start to get a bit lumpy. We break out the jelly babies.
Some gentle rolling roads warm up our legs as we pass through Marton and Farlington and then we can see the ruin of Sherrif Hutton castle up ahead. The road starts to climb and just before Sherrif Hutton we take a left towards Terrington.
We are on home turf now about 10 miles from home an know what's coming next. The road wanders up and down then there is a small flat before it kicks up at Terrington bank. Terrington bank isn't actually that high but it is evil. There is just something about the way it kicks up and the steepens again that gets you. We use discretion and dismount and walk up. Even one of the guys in a pelaton with a group of riders from a road club gets caught out, misses his gear change and has to dismount and walk. Oh well it's a shady walk up the tree lined hill and it gibes us chance to exercise a different set of mussels. Once at the top we re mount and from there it's a short ride to Terrington village and the "lunch" stop at village sports field. We arrive there at 10:30.  Half the ride done !
Farnell are sponsoring the event and provide a fine lunch. Pasta sandwiches crisps chocolate and fruit along with tea coffee and cold drinks. We had a break for half an hour and relaxed on the grass. I took the chance to try and work out what was causing the mysterious and annoying noise on my bike. Turned out both the from and back brakes were working loose and the spring was causing them to move off centre and rub the rim ! I had dismantled  them and lubed them a couple of weeks ago and can't have tightened them up enough. Out with the mutitool and a quick twiddle with the allen key and the noise was gone. Replete and re energised we set off again.
From Terrington the route rises and falls through the Howardian Hills with an especially pretty if hilly forest section before climbing up above Malton. From the top you can see out over Malton to the Wolds which is a foretaste of what's to come. We free-wheel a couple of miles down into Malton loosing all the hight gained so far and meet the only traffic lights on the whole 73 miles which of course are at red. Over the river Derwent bride and the railway line and into Maltons twin town of Norton and then we start gentle climb out towards Settrington.
The road steepens and switchbacks a couple of times and then after a right turn we enter the trees and hit the bottom of Settrington High Street. This isn't a high street with Boots and Gap it's a country lane that is "high" well the top is the bottom is of course "low" and the bit in between is very steep and very long. It's the only major hill on the ride but its a doozy. We walk. Some ride but we seem to be walking faster than some of the riders.
Even the racing snakes aren't talking as they grind up the incline. Eventually we emerge from the trees and the gradient lessens to something sensible and we remount. Another mile of gentle climbing and we are the top with magnificent open views across the  the Wolds. This ride from here to the coast will be through the heart of the Wolds and a complete contrast to the first part through the Vale of York. The sun is now out properly and its hot but as ever there is a bit of a breeze on the Wold tops to help keep us cool and we roll gently up and down before a wonderful long long free-wheel down to the next drink stop at West Lutton.
This stop is on the village green outside a pub and it would be tempting to have a pint. Common sense prevails and we stick to the orange squash provided. I rip of the front raceblade and stick it in my pannier as it is working loose for real this time.
This next section is very pleasant following the northern edge of a valley through Helperthorpe Weaverthorpe and Butterwick. The kids in the villages clap and shout encouragement as we pass. We cross the Foxholes to Driffield road and continue along the narrow lane until we reach the final drink stop at Wold Newton. There is no chance of us not stopping here even though there are only 10 mile to the finish as this stop has TEA and CAKES.
The stop is in a primary school playground and the local WI make cakes which you cna obtain a slice of for a donation to charity. I have two. The tea is fantastic, proper tea from an urn not the powdered stuff.
Fortified we set off and quickly hit the last hill of the ride. It's a bit of a grind up it at this stage but stick it in bottom gear and spin and it's over soon enough. There is a 10 mile time trial running in the opposite direction. The aero disc wheels make a strange noise and they are going improbably fast.
Then its through Humanby and we can smell the sea. The weather quickly becomes overcast as we approach the coast but there is still no wind to speak of. The marshals direct us onto the main east coast road which is a bit of a shock after 60 miles of lanes but it's only a couple of miles before we turn of for the gentle rise into Filey.
As we enter Filey we have the only unpleasant incident of the day. The road has some traffic calming bit projecting from the side and a people carrier has to slow behind Simon as there isn't room for it to overtake. When it does overtake the occupants (adults not youths) scream abuse at him. It must have ruined there entire day being delayed for 10 seconds. Simon shouted back, he's quite good at that being an ex major in the army.
A quick run through Filey to the cliff top park where the finish is and we enter the park just as the church bells ring 3 o'clock exactly the time we predicted that we would finish.
So it took as 7.5 hours to do about 75 miles. Not too bad what with stops and generally just enjoying the ride. I friend in Malton Wheelers did it in 3:50 but I don't think they stoped at all and their fitness is in a different league. They also road the 25 mile back to Malton. We got a lift.
A very pleasant day in great weather. I got my knees and the back of my calves burnt :) Thanks to Ralph for being a star and transporting us, Simon for the pleasant company and all the Marshals and organisers who gave their time to help in this charity event. I'll be back next year.

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.