Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 286344 times)

Is this the night that I set fire to my house in order to keep warm?
The CH is struggling to raise the pointer above 15°C In the hour and a half that I've been home and the heating has been running.
It's only showing -1°C outdoors.
But it is firkin' cold.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
What temp did it start at?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/15/arctic-blast-to-sweep-over-england-bringing-freezing-conditions

Allegedly.

I like the last sentence in that piece:

“Snow is unpredictable, so it’s worth keeping an eye on forecasts.”

I would have thought that if snow is unpredictable, it wasn't worth...

;D
Move Faster and Bake Things

What temp did it start at?
Around 12.5°C

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Radiators hot all the way up?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Radiators hot all the way up?
Yup.
ETA - Draughty Victorian house with original sash window fenestration.
Up to 16.6°C now.
Still chilly.
ETFA - Leave the heating running overnight (unheard of), methinks.

In those circumstances it’s necessary to focus on heating the person rather than the surrounding space.  Plenty of food helps. We have electric blankets and stuff.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
90 mins doesn't sound like that long, in that case. Especially if your boiler isn't very new.

Forecast is saying it's to be weathery here until Thursday night, which is a real pain in the arse being as I need to fly to that London and back on Thursday.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
It won't be snowing here. The last time we had proper snow (you know, proper trudge, trudge, trudge snow, not just a bit on the lawn and top of the car.) was January 2010.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Heating's been running all night and is currently showing 18.6°C.
It's showing as -3.2°C outdoors.
Boiler is less than 4yo.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Sainsbos sent me an email overnight saying they've cancelled my order, which was supposed to be delivered this evening. I assume it's due to snow, but it would be nice if they'd said.

The wind speed/direction makes such a difference.
Our house stands by itself. We have double glazed, internally insulated the walls, and draught proofed as much as possible, but when the wind blows we can certainly tell the difference!

Used to live in an old wooden house on a hilltop in NE Essex. No insulation, oil fuel boiler and open fires. High winds made it creak and draughts everywhere. Don’t remember finding being cold a big problem but the winds blew the tides in and there were a few flood alerts, so it was good being on a hill.

Today there is a yellow snow warning for York on Wednesday.

Used to live in an old wooden house on a hilltop in NE Essex. No insulation, oil fuel boiler and open fires. High winds made it creak and draughts everywhere. Don’t remember finding being cold a big problem but the winds blew the tides in and there were a few flood alerts, so it was good being on a hill.

Watch out where the huskies go....

Unless you want to rub a deadly snow cone into the eyes of a fur trapper...  ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter

Unless you want to rub a deadly snow cone into the eyes of a fur trapper...  ;)
Crystals.
It's deadly snow crystals.
And it's 'beady little eyes'.
It was the first album I ever bought.  :P

T42

• Apprentice geezer
The wind speed/direction makes such a difference.
Our house stands by itself. We have double glazed, internally insulated the walls, and draught proofed as much as possible, but when the wind blows we can certainly tell the difference!

Sounds like our dump, which is vast and half-timbered, and although internally-insulated still lets the cold in when the wind's in the NE. It's a funny feeling when it blows out between the doors of a built-in cupboard.

ETA When the wind's in the NE for a couple of days the whole E side of our house actually contracts, and the door of the shower scrapes slightly.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

A house I’d recently moved into had a draughty front door which I hung a curtain over. When we had gales I had to put a chair in front of the curtain but it got so windy it just blew the chair over. We had lying snow but the gale from the east blew for three weeks and was so dry the snow simply vanished without a thaw.  I’d no central heating, just a three element gas fire which the gas company later condemned as unsafe.

I'm considering asking the guy who services my boiler whether there's something he can fit (Hive/Nest/Etc) that'll allow me to fire up the boiler remotely.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
If you get one that does that it'll probably also do learning (i.e. learn how long it takes your home to heat up from x to y given z weather) so that you can tell it what time you want it to be a comfy temp for and it'll decide when it needs to come on.

That sounds most attractive.

ian

Get bigger radiators. Then set fire to them.

When my brother bought his first house we set fire to it.

It needed a new floor, so we ripped up the floor boards. Being a cold winters day it seemed a good idea to light a fire in the old fireplace using the boards as fuel. Soon we had a nice warm fire to sit by with a beer or two to reward our labours.

We kept piling the boards on until there was a loud knock at the door. It was a neighbour to tell us the chimney was alight. When we looked it was like a Saturn V rocket taking off and pouring flames into the night sky. Not to worry the neighbour said, we’ve called the fire brigade. It took a lot of water to put it out.

Snow warning not even close. Sun and blue skies all day. Some rain forecast for the next week, with temps due to reach 11C.