Author Topic: Tales from the Lock-Down  (Read 78515 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: Tales from the Lock-Down
« Reply #550 on: 28 May, 2020, 05:55:03 pm »
There you go, that's the effect of the 5g there and then.

And the website itself is a thing of.... beauty? Good for a laugh anyhow, follow at your own discretion http://5gbioshield.com

Anyone want to take a bet on how many days it will take for Trump to recommend using one of these to keep the ChinaVirus Rays at bay?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #551 on: 28 May, 2020, 06:54:22 pm »
Quote from: ElyDave
...a process of quantum oscillation, the 5GBioShield USB key balances and re-harmonises the disturbing frequencies arising from the electric fog induced by devices, such as laptops, cordless phones, wi-fi, tablets, et cetera,"
Is that from an advertisement or an out-take from one of the hippy-dippier episodes of Star Trek TNG?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #552 on: 28 May, 2020, 07:15:59 pm »
Ants in the house and can't find the nest.

That's odd - ants usually have such a good homing instinct.
I can't find the nest in order to destroy it. >:(
Be carefulk what you wish for-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd_fu_8cCOo

And what's his moniker on here?  :thumbsup:
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #553 on: 28 May, 2020, 08:42:15 pm »
Quote from: ElyDave
...a process of quantum oscillation, the 5GBioShield USB key balances and re-harmonises the disturbing frequencies arising from the electric fog induced by devices, such as laptops, cordless phones, wi-fi, tablets, et cetera,"
Is that from an advertisement or an out-take from one of the hippy-dippier episodes of Star Trek TNG?

TBH, that's more hi-fi magazine than Star Trek.  TNG would attempt to eradicate electric fog by re-routing main power through the deflector array, before realising that it was actually an intelligent being of pure 5G energy and offering it quantum hugs (at which point it would quietly slink off to the next dimension to get away from the space-hippies).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #554 on: 28 May, 2020, 10:54:52 pm »
Are quantum hugs the same as lockdown hugs?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #555 on: 29 May, 2020, 12:23:43 pm »
I've never understood why the phrase "quantum leap" has come to mean something very very big when quantum phenomena are both small and (at least when TV SCIENCE types start failing to explain them) far away.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #556 on: 29 May, 2020, 12:33:57 pm »
I've never understood why the phrase "quantum leap" has come to mean something very very big when quantum phenomena are both small and (at least when TV SCIENCE types start failing to explain them) far away.

Because to people of a certain age, the phrase "quantum leap" makes them think of Scott Bakula in his pyjamas, not LEDs and such.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #557 on: 29 May, 2020, 12:50:24 pm »
TBH, that's more hi-fi magazine than Star Trek.  TNG would attempt to eradicate electric fog by re-routing main power through the deflector array, before realising that it was actually an intelligent being of pure 5G energy and offering it quantum hugs (at which point it would quietly slink off to the next dimension to get away from the space-hippies).

Hifi woo, esp with things like the €500 hifi quality ethernet cables, reminds me of this adaptor that went past on twitter yesterday.

For when you need to convert from Compressed air to balanced stereo audio...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #558 on: 29 May, 2020, 03:19:08 pm »
yes but obviously with that connector the compressed air is mono. But not the oxygen free variety as used for greatest fidelity.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #559 on: 29 May, 2020, 03:31:46 pm »
Hopefully you can get a silvered upgrade?
It is simpler than it looks.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #560 on: 29 May, 2020, 03:34:24 pm »
Bzzzzt: geek alert! It can be balanced or stereo but not both at the same time. The XLR plug would normally carry positive signal, phase reversed signal and earth, hence the name balanced. It could carry left, right and ground, which would be stereo, but not normally as TRS jacks tend to be the plug of choice for that.

<end of geek alert>

And this is why I am not an audio engineer.

Thank you!

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #561 on: 29 May, 2020, 03:44:44 pm »

Because to people of a certain age, the phrase "quantum leap" makes them think of Scott Bakula in his pyjamas, not LEDs and such.
Oh boy.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #562 on: 30 May, 2020, 01:55:27 pm »
As of Thursday we have new neighbours. After 20 years of a childless couple, the last 10 just the widow, who barely left the house, we now have a Family of 4, the 2 kids being (at a guess) a year 11 boy and year 10 girl.

Since they moved in a set of grandparents have been there 2 days.  Today we have 4 additional year 10 girls for what seems to be (judging by the goodie bags) a birthday party.  Isolation and social distancing - that’s for others obvs. Still it isn’t too noisy and the music’s been kept down. Oh, and the Sky van has turned up.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #563 on: 01 June, 2020, 10:13:29 am »
Remember how in the 60s the standard UK roadsign for a nationally-recognized beauty spot was an old mattress in the ditch?  Back here, the rubbish tips - sorry, recycling centres - were closed during lockdown.  Now that they're open again the queues are long, so a lot of nasty bastards are using the forests instead.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #564 on: 01 June, 2020, 11:44:47 am »
Twitter and FB is full of examples of people leaving litter all over the place.
Often, but not exclusively , features younger generation with alcohol and nitrous oxide canisters.
Seems to be two factions , those who want to save the planet and those who don't give a sh1t.
As there's no shopping or sport to go to , they have all suddenly discovered the countryside.
Right to roam or even drive in some cases, walk their dogs,  , picnic, camp  , defecate etc. seems to becoming an assumed right.
From sending out drones at the start of the lockdown, police seem to have given up.

Fly tipping at the moments seems to be the small scale stuff from households because industry is only working at half cock anyway.
Other place to dump rubbish locally is  the dooorway of the local Oxfam shop, even though they have put notices in all the windows asking people to desist.
I don't know if it's coincidence or something done by Oxfam or the local council but there is now a skip in situ.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #565 on: 01 June, 2020, 11:57:17 am »
Remember how in the 60s the standard UK roadsign for a nationally-recognized beauty spot was an old mattress in the ditch?  Back here, the rubbish tips - sorry, recycling centres - were closed during lockdown.  Now that they're open again the queues are long, so a lot of nasty bastards are using the forests instead.

Here in sunny E17 the mattresses are just dumped on the streets and left to fend for themselves.  It's heartbreaking.

Note to self: turn "Mattresses of Walthamstow" calendar to June.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #566 on: 01 June, 2020, 12:01:53 pm »
Given all the fast-food franchises now appear open, so is littering season. I wasn't missing the piles of McDonalds and KFC detritus. I've never really understood where the McD's stuff comes from (McDonalds, ian, McDonalds!) – no, I mean, the nearest McDs is miles away. I guess people buy it, drive several miles, and then eat it here and tip the waste out of the car window. Or they eat it there, drive all the way home, and then tip it ought of the window. Also, out in the country, a mile or so from anywhere, and you'll find the remains of an McD meal.

I did recover a Pret hot drink container from the garden yesterday. Again, the nearest Pret is in Croydon and posher than the average litterer, but that's seven-ish miles away.

Fly-tipping is sadly a regular interruption on our walks. Often off main roads, but again, sometimes people have driven quite a way down bumpy lanes to dump a fridge. Surely more effort than getting rid of properly. There was one of 'licensed' waste disposal vans in front of me the other day, one flat rear tire flobbling along, and the delicate waft of freon in its wake. I don't have much faith that won't end up blocking some country lane.

« Reply #567 on: 01 June, 2020, 01:21:47 pm »
There is loads of litter out at the moment. Normally I'd go pick it up as a member of the local wombles group but under the current circumstances I'm a bit reluctant to pick up other people's rubbish even if using a picker and disposable gloves

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #568 on: 01 June, 2020, 02:35:27 pm »
Given all the fast-food franchises now appear open, so is littering season. I wasn't missing the piles of McDonalds and KFC detritus. I've never really understood where the McD's stuff comes from (McDonalds, ian, McDonalds!) – no, I mean, the nearest McDs is miles away. I guess people buy it, drive several miles, and then eat it here and tip the waste out of the car window. Or they eat it there, drive all the way home, and then tip it ought of the window. Also, out in the country, a mile or so from anywhere, and you'll find the remains of an McD meal.

Quaint, genteel Whitstable has mostly resisted the fast food chains so far - in the town centre, at least. There's long been a McD's on the outskirts of town. Then a few years ago, a KFC opened next to the McD's.

I saw the first KFC litter on Whitstable high street the morning after it opened.  >:(
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #569 on: 01 June, 2020, 03:11:55 pm »
The KFC I understand, at least there's one in town, and you can calculate it's precise location using the litter radius and the time it takes to drop the greasy packaging and finally, the point where they bore of drinking the giant cup of sugary water and decide to leave it perched on a garden wall.

There's no McD even close, but it's a consistent source of litter on local roads.

Personally, I'd make the vendor liable for the clean-up, but I guess holding them responsible for the effects of output is just so unreasonable and they should simply be allowed to make their profits while the rest of us pay to clean up the mess (and for the health costs).

The other major source of litter is the school kids, they steam through chucking out a steady stream of Capri Sun pouches, chocolate wrappers, and crisp packets twice a day, so their absence has been nice.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #570 on: 01 June, 2020, 03:43:51 pm »
The KFC I understand, at least there's one in town, and you can calculate it's precise location using the litter radius and the time it takes to drop the greasy packaging and finally, the point where they bore of drinking the giant cup of sugary water and decide to leave it perched on a garden wall.

There's no McD even close, but it's a consistent source of litter on local roads.

Personally, I'd make the vendor liable for the clean-up, but I guess holding them responsible for the effects of output is just so unreasonable and they should simply be allowed to make their profits while the rest of us pay to clean up the mess (and for the health costs).

The other major source of litter is the school kids, they steam through chucking out a steady stream of Capri Sun pouches, chocolate wrappers, and crisp packets twice a day, so their absence has been nice.

There is often a 'clean up' requirement imposed when fast food restaurants/drive throughs are opened.  Problem is when they're on the border of jurisdictions...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #571 on: 01 June, 2020, 03:44:08 pm »
McD's stuff is usually chucked away piecemeal. Pics I've seen of stuff dumped in the forest show more like a car-trailerful at a time.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #572 on: 01 June, 2020, 03:48:51 pm »
They could ask for ID and dot matrix print the post code of the buyer on the packaging.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #573 on: 01 June, 2020, 03:56:59 pm »

There is often a 'clean up' requirement imposed when fast food restaurants/drive throughs are opened.  Problem is when they're on the border of jurisdictions...

The council is just wishy-washy on everything. Same with the local school, the littering is of course, of concern, and they care a lot, but they don't commit to anything. Write to the council, well, of course, it's a concern, and they care a lot, but you know, well.

In Croydon, we had street wardens etc. Stuff would get done fairly promptly. Here? I think it's the lassitude from knowing that nothing in Surrey will change, so why bother potentially upsetting anyone.

« Reply #574 on: 01 June, 2020, 05:44:07 pm »
They could ask for ID and dot matrix print the post code of the buyer on the packaging.

Or have a hidden pre printed code that is tied to the payment card?
But introduce take away T&C's that say it's £50 for every single wrapper found in the wild.
Fine shared with local council (for litter collection), NHS for health effects, and finally the exchequer as a way of recovering the avoided taxes by multi-national scumbags.

Or have a deposit scheme that the fast food firm has to administer.