Author Topic: Tales from the Lock-Down  (Read 78650 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Tales from the Lock-Down
« Reply #575 on: 01 June, 2020, 07:02:21 pm »
They could serve food on plates, with a knife and fork...

Anyway, in lockdown news, the cars are back.  Properly this time.

Saw a couple of kids in school uniform, too.  Poor sods.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #576 on: 01 June, 2020, 07:13:51 pm »
Plates? It'll never catch on. Maybe old pieces of school blackboard with GCSE chalk dust, or artisan mill stones, broken window panes, something like that...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #577 on: 01 June, 2020, 07:16:50 pm »
Plates? It'll never catch on. Maybe old pieces of school blackboard with GCSE chalk dust, or artisan mill stones, broken window panes, something like that...

All far too hygienic

Maybe try bed pans, or shoes or... just look at @wewantplates on twitter for the horrors out there...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #578 on: 01 June, 2020, 07:21:53 pm »
My tour operator has cancelled my holiday in Italy  :thumbsup:

They offered a refund but I think I'll rebook for 2021.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #579 on: 01 June, 2020, 09:43:31 pm »

All far too hygienic

Maybe try bed pans, or shoes or... just look at @wewantplates on twitter for the horrors out there...

J
John Finnemore has something to say on the matter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX4KuEAYIYY
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

fuzzy

« Reply #580 on: 01 June, 2020, 10:59:45 pm »
Some people are getting too much sunbathing time but paying too little attention to detail.
Yersterday in thr queueueueueue for a national chain of home improvement detritus, a senior gent was standing 4 or 5 2 meter zones behind me. He was wearing an open button up shirt displaying his magnidicent tan- and his moob anti shadow.
A man more in need of weighted nipple clamps I have never seen. Apply clamps and throw the weights over the shoulder to expose the untanned flesh.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #581 on: 02 June, 2020, 09:40:14 am »
Our post has got very odd in the last couple of months...  We normally get a delivery about 2.00 pm (we've not had a morning delivery for several years) but that's got pushed back during lockdown...

.. but yesterday was something else.  Our postman delivered at 8.15 p.m
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #582 on: 02 June, 2020, 10:05:05 am »
Just been to Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles.  No queueueueue.  Amazeballs!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #583 on: 04 June, 2020, 01:48:10 pm »
Our first trip out to the beach today.  Chose a remote one that has no village or buildings of any type nearby.  (Penbryn)
Fantastic!  We were completely alone on a huge long beach. The dog was ecstatic.
A bit further than the Welsh 5 mile limit, but the govt did suggest that this could be extended in rural areas.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #584 on: 05 June, 2020, 09:41:27 pm »
My colleague Martin has an interest in vintage clothing, which one way or another has led to him selling rather natty handmade face masks on Etsy.

As of today, he is my ex-colleague, and will now be focusing on the clothing business full time.

Following the news that we will be legally required to wear face masks on public transport, I shall be putting some business his way before the office re-opens...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/SidewinderApparel
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #585 on: 08 June, 2020, 10:03:21 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/jun/08/wilko-johnson-musician-on-life-in-lockdown-i-feel-grateful-to-be-alive

Wilko may be pleased to learn that his local, the Railway Hotel in Southend, is serving their famous vegan food via Deliveroo. We had some on Friday. It seems the vegan "fish" has banana blossom as one of its ingredients. It's the first time I had it. To be honest I will get the real thing rom the chip shop across the road next time, despite the fact that the Railway is run by friends of ours. Preferable, and half the price, and I can walk across the road to get it. The chips from the Railway were superb though.

Of course, there are other choices from the Railway and their vegan pizzas are very good.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #586 on: 24 June, 2020, 03:15:17 pm »
The scene: Company results thing, talking about "restructuring" and reduced costs.
Boss 1: We've lost a few people through Covid.
Boss 2: In terms of them not being here, not through them being dead.
It's NZ, so the sensitivities are different, apart from anything else.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #587 on: 07 July, 2020, 12:12:06 pm »
Walking the dog on a typical width pavement with typical wall of parked cars. Old lady coming towards me. I move all the way over towards the houses so we can pass with a good meter between us. She steps off the pavement between parked cars and stands in the road staring at me, and witheringly says "Good Morning" to me as I pass.

Am I The Arsehole?

« Reply #588 on: 07 July, 2020, 02:03:28 pm »
Nope, some people just can’t judge distances very well. The queue for our local M&S seems to have anything from 2 to 4 m between people. Is she’s that concerned she could have crossed the road - or as she did, make her own space.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #589 on: 07 July, 2020, 02:09:05 pm »
I'm fairly sure it's Bloody Stupid Johnson that's the arsehole, and she was ignoring the profit-over-safety revised 1m rule for the mutual benefit of your health.

Or she doesn't like dogs.

« Reply #590 on: 07 July, 2020, 02:23:14 pm »
Walking the dog on a typical width pavement with typical wall of parked cars. Old lady coming towards me. I move all the way over towards the houses so we can pass with a good meter between us. She steps off the pavement between parked cars and stands in the road staring at me, and witheringly says "Good Morning" to me as I pass.

Am I The Arsehole?

I have stepped aside to let people pass on occasions but I have never mastered the art of wishing them a 'witheringly good morning'!  I shall have to practice  ;)

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #591 on: 07 July, 2020, 02:51:14 pm »
I'm fairly sure it's Bloody Stupid Johnson that's the arsehole, and she was ignoring the profit-over-safety revised 1m rule for the mutual benefit of your health.

Yeah. I seem to have encountered the last person in the country sticking to the 2m rule.

I bought an ice cream from a van* yesterday. The serving hatch had plastic over all but the bottom 12 inches. He stopped right down so he could talk to me through it, face inches from mine.

(* an ice cream van, not some dodgy WVM at a motorway services selling the bootleg stuff)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #592 on: 09 July, 2020, 07:51:23 pm »
We had our quarterly company meeting today, at which it was revealed that we won't be going back to the office before September at the earliest. And when we do go back, it will be four days a week (office closed Fridays), with reduced office capacity meaning teams will be on rotation - though not sure if that will mean week on/week off, two weeks on/one week off, or whatever... I guess it depends on how they break down the numbers.

It's all so strange. Part of the reason I took my current job after four years WFH was the opportunity to go back to working in an office, with daily contact with other human beings, which is good for the sanity and good for being able to get the job done. I even kind of miss the commute for the routine it brought to my daily life - although I don't really miss other aspects of it, like the timesink, the cost, the sheer pain of being a customer of southeastern railway...

I'm also relieved that I still have a job, considering the economic catastrophe that is unfolding around us all - and since on a purely statistical basis it seems likely that some of my fellow yacfers are among those losing their jobs, I sincerely hope you're all coping with the situation, however it is affecting you.

I guess this is what they call the New Normal.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #593 on: 09 July, 2020, 08:28:33 pm »
Exciting times! 

Haircut on Tuesday, the barber wearing a visor tilted-up just enough to he could peer under it. 

Proper pub-run to a proper pub yesterday evening.  John the publican brought out some 'special' local cider, which meant that three of our number were more than usually mellow by home-time.

Neighbours invited for tea & cake in the garden tomorrow.

And then for contrast:  my first socially-distanced funeral on Monday.  But we have negotiated a traditional wheel-arch outside the crematorium.

« Reply #594 on: 09 July, 2020, 08:50:46 pm »
We too have been told that we will absolutely not be back to the office until September at the very earliest.

It's open plan and fit for about 150. Things have been going well and we were up to about 220 by the beginning of March. We will not all be back in together that's for sure. I do miss the cycle there and back. Days at home are pretty formulaic and I also miss the meeting people thing.

On the plus side, I can do my job from anywhere that has an internet connection and I've lucked out by happening to be employed by a software house whose principal platform's primary use-case is organisational planning, and there's quite a call for that at the moment. Very conscious however that we are probably not even half way in to one of the biggest challenges this country's faced in my lifetime, and there's going to be way more casualties yet.

A million tail-spinning poop-spreading hippopotamuses won't come close to this shitshow.

Rust never sleeps

ian

« Reply #595 on: 09 July, 2020, 09:21:30 pm »
Our mothership have mooted 18th August, but as optional. Doesn't bother me as I can (and mostly do) work from home. But am missing much of the in-person stuff, especially with customers etc. I could happy not have another bloody Teams call ever.

I do also miss the summer-evening long Brompton-powered ambles home.

« Reply #596 on: 10 July, 2020, 11:53:44 am »
Visiting Scarborough to see  family.  Fish and chips ordered on phone, went to pickup at alloted time, and hung around on pavement  for about 25mins waiting for number to be called.  Person lining boxes with paper inserts also appeared to be handling money.  Got back and found they'd not given me any chips, despite definitely ordering them.  Hotel breakfast including bacon roll, inna paper bag with other wrapped sweet stuff, again 30 mins post requested time.  Coffee machine ran out, and  looked like people where having double volumes.  Paper cup stacks were being handled by people as they were 'stuck' together.  Nice evening bike ride though.  👍
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #597 on: 10 July, 2020, 02:51:56 pm »
Quote from: citoyen
.... opportunity to go back to working in an office, with daily contact with other human beings, which is good for the sanity and good for being able to get the job done.

Whereas I for one* will only be prised from my study and back into a communal office with crowbars and dynamite.  I've  been working mostly from home this past 8 or 9 years.  Love it.  No interruptions from the tin-foil hat brigade,  a marked reduction in stupid bloody meetings** and anyway contact with other human beings is vastly, vastly overrated.

*Nattering with colleagues on the 'phone and I'm not alone in this view.  Of course it may be because we're all jaded old*** programmers with all the social skills of a dead badger.

** And what meetings there are are telephone meetings so one can stare out of the window.  "Hullo birds, hullo sky sa fotherington-tomas."

*** Only one of us under 40 and several of us are a damn sight nearer 60 than 50.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ian

« Reply #598 on: 10 July, 2020, 03:18:45 pm »
I used to work from home all the time (as I was, once upon a time, singularly the entire UK, European, and rest of the world branch of a US company). About a year back I started doing a couple of days in the office, which I don't mind, I do like the social contact. Obviously, I had to be hosed down, disinfected and had to relearn key social skills. It helps that we're not, at the people level, a very corporate company rather than a 9-5 shirt and tie business, which I'd avoid like the plague. Even the old people are young and no one minds if you use the collaboration spaces for long naps.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #599 on: 10 July, 2020, 05:41:57 pm »
I'm also not missing the office. There's a couple of people I miss seeing but it's a big open plan office with a couple of people in the middle of it who have no concept of how to moderate the volume of one's voice so as not to disturb others drive others round the bend with their constant gassing. I'm not missing that at all.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.