Author Topic: Wahoo cadence sensor and android phone  (Read 998 times)

Wahoo cadence sensor and android phone
« on: 07 January, 2017, 08:40:33 pm »
Have been given a Wahoo cadence sensor which operates wirelessly through Bluetooth. However recently discovered that my existing mobile phone Samsung S3mini is not compatible. My step sons Samsung J3 appears to be compatible in that it will at least download the app and recognise the cadence sensor. I am therefore thinking of upgrading my phone for a Samsung J5. However before I lash out the cash it would be good to hear from anyone who currently uses this combination.  

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Wahoo cadence sensor and android phone
« Reply #1 on: 07 January, 2017, 08:59:49 pm »
Which app Do you mean? The Wahoo one? Have you tried a different app such as

Is the problem that the app won't run on your phone or that the phone doesn't detect the sensor?

« Reply #2 on: 07 January, 2017, 10:04:34 pm »
Bluetooth smart or Bluetooth 4.0 (AFAIK the same) has a minimum version of Android to run. IIRC Android 4.4 kitkat i think. In addition older phones are unable to work even if you had the right version of the os. I thought s4 was the first compatible Samsung galaxy.

Others will know better but i think you can Google the word Bluetooth and find out compatible phones from the main site I'm sure. ANT+  site enables you to search compatible devices so Bluetooth should too.

« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2017, 10:08:39 pm »
I had a dodgy wahoo Bluetooth cadence sensor. It died after the first one got replaced due to battery drain issues (battery lasted a week and same for the new battery). I have no faith in Wahoo but their customer support is excellent. Seriously good customer service, i can't fault their response to my issues.

« Reply #4 on: 08 January, 2017, 11:46:28 am »
hanks for all the feedback. Just to clarify my Samsung S3 mini does not recognise the Wahoo sensor in Bluetooth at all and as I can get my works mobile to recognise it I don't believe there is any fault with the sensor. when I have attempted to download the Wahoo fitness app it tells me clearly that my device isn't compatible with this version. I am pretty sure that this relates to the age of my phone and the operating system it is running. I have checked and it is running the latest version and no upgrades are available. I believe that the operating system installed on a Samsung J5 but would like to hear from anyone running this sort of setup before I order a new phone.