Author Topic: Work begins on London's first two Cycle Superhighways  (Read 33461 times)

Work begins on London's first two Cycle Superhighways
« on: 16 February, 2010, 07:59:52 pm »
Work begins on London's first two Cycle Superhighways

I noticed this article on road.cc, and it's an interesting read, although I still wonder what the eventual final work will look like.

Transport for London (TfL) has begun resurfacing work close to Westferry Docklands Light Railway station on the Barking to Tower Gateway route, while continuous cycle lanes will be trialled through three junctions between Merton and the City.

I'm not quite sure what a "continuous cycle lane" is, but it sounds like it could be an attempt to improve some of the more iffy junctions.

...and installing advanced stop lines at key junctions.

Which will only be useful if some attempt is actually made to enforce advanced stop lines, which are used heavily by motorised two wheelers, and where they aren't using it, are generally ignored by large motorised vehicles.  On most of my commute where they exist, they are in effect are a waste of time.

Specific issues regarding various points on the two routes will also be addressed, such as studying the effect of changing the current two northbound lanes of the A3 approaching Elephant & Castle to one to allow a new, segregated cycle lane to be installed there, and a similar lane is also planned for the junction parallel to Stockwell Terrace. The Elephant & Castle gyratory system will also see improved signage.

A segregatred cycle lane on the approach to E&C could be useful, although it all depends on exactly how it's installed, and as long as it doesn't force cyclists into a bad part of the gyratory.  I'm not quite sure what they are talking about at Stockwell Terrace, but I've never passed along that bit of the junction, so I don't know how well it currently works (or not).

How well this works remains to be seen.  I guess part of the idea of doing these two routes initially is an experiment to see if it's a useful exercise and to address the good and bad points of these initial efforts, at least I hope that's how they intend to use it.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Re: Work begins on London's first two Cycle Superhighways
« Reply #1 on: 17 February, 2010, 03:11:52 pm »
The demo at the cycle show in the summer showed just how rubbish the "continuous cycle lane" idea is - it is exactly what it says it is... the blue paint continues its path over junctions, encouraging cyclists to stay over to the left and motorists to give abuse to cyclists who sensibly do not wish to place themselves in the gutter.

It winds me right up. These cants have no idea how to plan cycle infrastructure.

On our hill, some agency has been trialling a new road layout, narrowing the road to one lane each way from two. Now in the odd section where the workers were too lazy to lay out the cones and barriers properly, fantastic, segregated cycle lanes have been created making a safe and relaxed space to cycle up a steep and chronically aggressively driven hill. In other places, the wonks have made the lanes narrow enough that drivers will force past you if you try to take the lane by swerving at oncoming traffic, or if you try and keep out of the way they will buzz you at 40mph shortly before they slam on the brakes before the speed camera.

Idiots.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #2 on: 17 February, 2010, 04:12:22 pm »
I want to believe its going to happen, but I fear it will end up as a mess.

« Reply #3 on: 18 February, 2010, 01:50:24 pm »
There's some information on the Real Cycling blog.

So in a few months' time, this is just what we'll be seeing all over London: cyclists finding the blue strip is too crooked, discontinuous and narrow, and just using the road alongside instead.

:(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 05 March, 2010, 10:18:07 am »
The excitement is almost unbearable.  Two junctions on my commute (Tooting Bec and the Union Road junction on the A3 north of Clapham) now have a strip of bright blue tarmac across them.

Plus points: the approach to the ASL reservoirs is wider than the pathertic stubs of lanes we currently have

Minus points: The lanes are less than a lane wide, IYSWIM.  At Union Rd, I was riding 'higher' than the outer edge of the blue.  This leads me to fear that we will be ghettoised, and get heckle for riding in a more appropriate position.

If it's to be wide enough that cars can't drive in the left hand of a pair of lanes, then why on earth not give us the full lane? ???  And then you could allow buses and taxis and PTWs into it.  Oh.  We have those already, as far as they can be.
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 05 March, 2010, 11:13:01 am »
I'm tempted to bimble up there tomorrow, and get some photos (assuming the weather and light is compliant) and then send them to whoever I can find at TFL and have a moan, citing any relevant TFL stuff about what the Cycling Superhighways are supposed to achieve.

« Reply #6 on: 05 March, 2010, 07:44:19 pm »
... Two junctions on my commute (Tooting Bec and ...

By Tooting Bec, do you mean the main junction, ie the A24/A214 - Trinity Road / Balham High Road / Tooting Bec Road / Upper Tooting Road junction ?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 05 March, 2010, 07:59:09 pm »
Yup.  That's the fella.  Coming south, it's helpfully shaped like this:

|   |
     |   |
    /   /
   /   /
   |   |
   |   |

Which is to say, it takes you off to the side so that you don't obstruct the cars getting through, since they are obviously more important.  Then slows yo down before turning you and pushing you into an angled merge, now that your speed is much less than that of the motor traffic.

Which is to say, as far as it goes, it's bollocks.
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 05 March, 2010, 08:10:41 pm »
Oh yes, I know it well.  I've used it quite a lot, and indeed the FNRttC route to Brighton (or anywhere that direction like Bangor) generally goes across there, so we frequently take 60 odd cyclists across, although arguably it's easier with a lot of cyclists since you tend to occupy a greater area of road.

The road layout is particularly poorly suited to cyclists, so positioning yourself is quite important to make sure you don't get squished by turning vehicles.

Next month getting 120 odd through there (possibly with half on BSOs!) could be interesting.  I wonder if the blue paint will help? ;)

« Reply #9 on: 05 March, 2010, 09:17:14 pm »
Oh yes, I know it well.  I've used it quite a lot, and indeed the FNRttC route to Brighton (or anywhere that direction like Bangor)

Bangor!
That's some FNRTTC! :o

Cycle Superhighways?
Pah!
Sounds like just another crap cycle lane to me, just as I expected.
Can we stop them wasting all this money?

« Reply #10 on: 05 March, 2010, 09:33:51 pm »
Oh yes, I know it well.  I've used it quite a lot, and indeed the FNRttC route to Brighton (or anywhere that direction like Bangor)

Bangor!
That's some FNRTTC! :o

I meant Bognor, it was only one vowel and a slight rearrangement out!  What do you expect on a Friday evening after a long week. :-\

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 05 March, 2010, 09:42:14 pm »

Cycle Superhighways?
Pah!

Yes.  Absolutely.

Sounds like just another crap cycle lane to me, just as I expected.

It is.

Can we stop them wasting all this money?

No. :(
Getting there...

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #12 on: 06 March, 2010, 10:45:40 am »
I spotted one in Tooting at the junction of Tooting High St and Charlmont Road, utterly pointles from what I could see.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #13 on: 09 March, 2010, 08:40:41 am »
This just in....

A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #14 on: 09 March, 2010, 08:41:05 am »
 ;D

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #15 on: 09 March, 2010, 08:41:21 am »
This just in....

A shitter and a giggler.

gordon taylor

« Reply #16 on: 09 March, 2010, 08:47:35 am »
I laughed at that 'cos I thought someone had put a bit of blue carpet down to take a quick funny photo.

But now I'm staring at it, agog, unsure.

Surely it's a joke? Tell me it's a joke, please.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #17 on: 09 March, 2010, 08:59:12 am »
It does look like a rug, and maybe it's taken out of context [maybe it's unfinished, maybe it's a trail run, maybe it's Photoshop]. But I fear it's almost certainly not a joke.
A shitter and a giggler.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #18 on: 09 March, 2010, 09:00:28 am »
Someone should let Boris know that posting two photos of the same bit of blue surface does not, in fact, double the length of a given cycling facility.

(Sorry, being cruel here at someone making an easy mistake for comic effect.)
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19 on: 09 March, 2010, 09:40:29 am »
There's no edging line on the special blue paint (yet?), so drivers have no idea what it is or what to do with it.  I've seen the first left hook on it this morning.  Seems painting little bits of London streets in your party colours doesn't have any magically protective effect ::-)
Getting there...

« Reply #20 on: 09 March, 2010, 09:52:40 am »
Would I be safe in assuming that this magical blue paint is fully covered as to its meaning in the current edition of the Highway Code ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #21 on: 09 March, 2010, 09:53:42 am »
I think the only thing that we can safely use this for is as a route guide.

As for actually cycling along it safely ?
Rust never sleeps

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #22 on: 09 March, 2010, 09:55:20 am »
Would I be safe in assuming that this magical blue paint is fully covered as to its meaning in the current edition of the Highway Code ?

;D  Let's have a look...
Getting there...

« Reply #23 on: 09 March, 2010, 10:08:25 am »
What a load of rubbish.  Boris, you should be ashamed of putting in cycle "highways" that are so dangerous and negligently designed and placed.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #24 on: 09 March, 2010, 10:13:49 am »
I laughed at that 'cos I thought someone had put a bit of blue carpet down to take a quick funny photo.

But now I'm staring at it, agog, unsure.

Surely it's a joke? Tell me it's a joke, please.

And it's a pretty scruffy piece of carpet at that.
Rust never sleeps