Author Topic: Clarkson on Top Gear  (Read 48363 times)

Rapples

Re: Clarkson on Top Gear
« Reply #275 on: 14 April, 2011, 04:41:05 pm »
Bugger me, and I thought thee came from Yorkshire lad

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #276 on: 14 April, 2011, 04:45:59 pm »
Aye, and I know t'difference twixt the nominative and accusative cases.
Getting there...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #277 on: 14 April, 2011, 04:47:38 pm »
and whereas some people might respond with an insult or angry gesture, Jeremy has a bit of a pop at them on Top Gear. The laughter of the studio audience was clearly one of recognition and even if you didn't personally find the comments particularly amusing, it's difficult to see how they could be interpreted as a serious call to arms.”
=

We hate you, it seems we're not alone, and we have a TV station. There's no law protecting your minority, so shut up and get the fuck out of our way, lycra boy.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #278 on: 14 April, 2011, 04:50:47 pm »
A very accurate translation, I suspect, except I think you meant to say
...we have a massive franchise that brings unimaginable piles of cash rolling in, so we have a hard-pressed TV station's testicles in the palm of our hand...
Getting there...

Rapples

« Reply #279 on: 14 April, 2011, 04:58:25 pm »
Quite good, but I can do better, I'll rename that quote in three.
Get a life

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #280 on: 14 April, 2011, 05:01:19 pm »
A very accurate translation, I suspect, except I think you meant to say
...we have a massive franchise that brings unimaginable piles of cash rolling in, so we have a hard-pressed TV station's testicles in the palm of our hand...

True.

Although I blame the Beeb equally - they could very easily tell T.G. they don't like this sort of stuff (or even edit it out themselves - I presume they still have SOME of their own technical staff?).

Utter lack of moral backbone. First against the wall when the revolution rides into town ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #281 on: 14 April, 2011, 05:06:01 pm »
The Beeb is inherently reactionary, being part of the establishment.  But they really have no choice.  They can't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.  Every time they try to suggest a change, you can easily imagine Clarkson & Wilman saying, 'OK, if you don't like it, we'll go to $Otherchannel.'
Getting there...

« Reply #282 on: 14 April, 2011, 05:12:50 pm »

Why not, they did it to Benny Hill, but then he was seen as out of date, despite huge overseas sales

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #283 on: 14 April, 2011, 07:23:21 pm »
I have held my silence all the way through this as I have to confess to enjoying Top Gear..which probably means that I will be drummed out of the forum  :-\ :-\

However, whatever you may think of him, a fact that I learnt about one of the programs quite suprised me and made me respect Clarkson just a tad..

Remember  the car v train v motorbike race from London To Edinburgh..well the Train was a certain A1 Pacific in Apple Green of fairly recent construction. I have it on very good authority ( from the Director of engineering for the A1 trust who I shared the footplate with last year ) that not only was the race Genuine but Clarkson really did stick it out for the whole distance ( the official crew where changed twice !! ) The A1 guys reckoned he would only last as far as Grantham !! Having been on the footplate at main line speeds I can assure you that it is hot/noisy/dangerous/ and not somewhere you would want to spend a long time.

The good thing was that the programe gave Tornado a massive PR boost and many people now call it the "Top Gear Train".

However, a slightly "sad" note, the last time I played on the footplate I was told the story of a young man who had gained access to the cab when she was in maintenance and was found to be sitting in the fireman's seat. When asked what he was doing he replied " I just wanted to sit in the same seat as Jeremy Clarkson "
  Oh dear....

« Reply #284 on: 15 April, 2011, 06:58:25 am »
There's no denying his passion for things mechanical. His case for making Isambard KB the top Britain (or whatever it was) was undoubtedly eloquent and well stated.

It's just a shame he's such a knob.
Rust never sleeps

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #285 on: 15 April, 2011, 11:14:08 am »
I have held my silence all the way through this as I have to confess to enjoying Top Gear..which probably means that I will be drummed out of the forum  :-\ :-\
No need to be silly.

Plenty of petrolheads here, we have an entire sub-forum devoted to such things. https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=46.0

There is a post like yours on every TG/Clarkson thread :)

(Usually followed by "you lot have no sense of humour - he's just having a larrf!" But you didn't say that, to be fair ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #286 on: 15 April, 2011, 11:43:46 am »
Clarkson is part of the drip, drip, drip of pro-motorist (and therefore anti-cyclist by default) noise in the country.

He is also a noisy drip.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #287 on: 15 April, 2011, 12:53:36 pm »
Clarkson is part of the drip, drip, drip of pro-motorist (and therefore anti-cyclist by default) noise in the country.

He is also a noisy drip.

Yes indeedy.

There are people out there who want to stop us enjoying cycling, by making us wear funny hats, restricting us to useless cycle lanes and Sustrans Paths and "thinking" up daft and unenforceable laws to limit our behaviour beyond the limits on other road users, while at the same time allowing motor vehicle drivers to continue with unpunished law-breaking to the extent of getting away with killing people.

J Clarkson is their cheerleader and pinup.
The journey is always more important than the destination