Author Topic: Is it legal to have an amber flashing light on your clothing?  (Read 1727 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Is it legal to have an amber flashing light on your clothing?
« on: 19 November, 2011, 07:20:13 pm »
In addition to the usual lighting, obviously?  Other slow-moving vehicles, skips and traffic cones use them liberally.

One reference suggests vehicles with a top speed of under 25mph can use them.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

RJ

• Droll rat
Re: Is it legal to have an amber flashing light on your clothing?
« Reply #1 on: 19 November, 2011, 07:28:30 pm »
AIUI, your clothing is not covered by the various lighting regulations, so you can wear what you like.

(Of course, I may have understood wrong)

« Reply #2 on: 20 November, 2011, 10:07:13 am »
More importantly, why would you care?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 20 November, 2011, 10:12:18 am »
AIUI, your clothing is not covered by the various lighting regulations, so you can wear what you like.

Including blue flashing lights?  :demon:
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #4 on: 20 November, 2011, 10:12:49 am »
I used to use a Blackburn Mars 3 rear light which had amber diodes at either side. I reckon that when I had it on flash mode, it made people think a bit more before they overtook me. I'm guessing that they associated it with indicator lights. It wouldn't be much good for that though, being about an inch wide.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #5 on: 21 November, 2011, 08:45:15 pm »

Dunno.  I guess  anyone foolish to wear one big enough might risk being done for impersonation of a polis car  :-\  But I don't think festooning one's self with little blue blinkies is in breach of the cycle lighting regs.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 21 November, 2011, 08:51:07 pm »
Argos, hilariously, were selling flashing blue cycle lights for a while.  I emailed to tell them there were illegal to use, but didn't think of anyone wearing rather than fitting them to a bike.  They could help get you through the traffic jams.  :demon:
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #7 on: 21 November, 2011, 08:54:22 pm »
Hmmm.  Impersonation of a cycle polis?  But still (AFAIK) not a breach of the lighting regs  ;)

« Reply #8 on: 21 November, 2011, 09:22:00 pm »
Tesco's had little flashy coloured thingies on cords in their cycle shop during the summer (I know this because I bought a yellow one which I then scuppered by getting it caught in the wheel) and one of the colours they had was blue.  They also have blue flashy spoke lights.  I was considering getting them for Geraldine the lovely Pilen as that really would make people sit up and pay attention   ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9 on: 22 November, 2011, 10:40:59 am »
A couple of years ago I saw a chap with a rear light flashing alternately blue and red.  It immediately made me think "crikey, it's the rozzers" though I doubt very much it was legal.  But if lorry drivers can festoon their cabs with lights of every colour of the rainbow, I doubt anyone will complain about an amber flasher clipped to one's person.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #10 on: 22 November, 2011, 11:38:10 am »

As some have seen, I occasionally wear a blue flashing light on my back.

It looks like this, so I don't think there is any chance of being mistaken for an officer of the law:

http://www.exelitesafety.com/recreational.html?product=lumipac
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #11 on: 22 November, 2011, 03:08:22 pm »
As some have seen, I occasionally wear a blue flashing light on my back.

It looks like this, so I don't think there is any chance of being mistaken for an officer of the law:

http://www.exelitesafety.com/recreational.html?product=lumipac

Ok - that's done it Tiermat - I'm going to have to go to the optician and get my eyes tested. I've always taken your illuminated vest thingy as being green, not blue.  :facepalm: [Edit: I should have said turquiose - it's very different from police blue]

I must say that it's most effective - I can spot you from quite some distance away at 3am in the morning...