Author Topic: Addison Lee instruct their Minicabs to start using London bus lanes  (Read 59132 times)

AndyK

Addison Lee mini cab drivers told to use bus lanes from Monday. Previously only black cabs could use bus (and bike) lanes.

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/new-threat-to-london-cyclists-as-minicabs-told-to-invade-bus-lanes/012893

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
Re: Minicabs to start using London bus lanes
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2012, 05:59:54 pm »
Great, another subset of sociopaths to contend with  :demon:

« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2012, 06:01:51 pm »
Hmm.  It'll be interesting to see what effect this has overall on Private Hire vehicle use of bus lanes.

Addison Ley aren't generally great drivers, but I equate them as being roughly as bad as you're average car (which means that they're pretty poor drivers for professionals), but they're not as bad as a random Private Hire vehicle.

I could live with Addison Ley vehicles alone in the few bits of bus lane I use, but I'd be more upset to see other Private Hire vehicles, who as a group, seem to have a far worse level of driving than any other easily identifiable group in London (from my perspective, and I don't see many HGVs, who I accept may be worse).
Actually, it is rocket science.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2012, 06:28:27 pm »
I don't like the idea of minicabs using bus lanes from a cyclist's point of view, but I don't see why in principle passengers of minicabs shouldn't get the benefits that bus and black cab passengers get.  They're effectively a form of public transport - an invaluable one for many disabled people, for example.  I will be pleased if my dad wouldn't have to sit uncomfortably in a vehicle so long.  (He's entitled to ambulance transport, but "going round the houses" takes so long that he'd need the toilet on the way).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2012, 06:35:06 pm »
I don't like the idea of minicabs using bus lanes from a cyclist's point of view, but I don't see why in principle passengers of minicabs shouldn't get the benefits that bus and black cab passengers get.  They're effectively a form of public transport - an invaluable one for many disabled people, for example.  I will be pleased if my dad wouldn't have to sit uncomfortably in a vehicle so long.  (He's entitled to ambulance transport, but "going round the houses" takes so long that he'd need the toilet on the way).
I would turn that the other way around and say that I can see no good reason, elderly and disabled passengers aside, why black cabs should be allowed in bus lanes.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2012, 06:42:15 pm »
Just in time for the Olympics as well.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #6 on: 15 April, 2012, 06:46:30 pm »
I agree with Adrian - I have no idea why a private vehicle (I can not see them as a form of public transport I am afraid Biggsy - though I do accept that they are invaluable for disabled people) should be allowed into a bus lane.  They are, largely, a mode of transport for the privileged and are often carrying only 1 passenger - not something that should be taking up a lot of space in a bus lane.

They should be limited to buses and, for safety reasons, bikes and, probably, motorbikes (though instant £1000 fine for being in an ASL!).

This can't be a good thing because as soon as Addison Lee start using them, every other dodgy Sharon and Galaxy driving minicab will be in there.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2012, 06:52:18 pm »
What is worrying is Addison Lee ignore regulations simply because they disagree with them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11486243

They even managed to get over 200 fines from using the M4 bus lane dropped.

Black cabs get to use bus lanes exactly because they are a privileged and protected form of transport.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 15 April, 2012, 06:52:42 pm »
That is appalling!  Addison Lee are among the five worst groups of drivers I encounter.  And I commute using miles of bus lane.
Getting there...

« Reply #9 on: 15 April, 2012, 06:53:25 pm »
I often see black cabs with no passengers in bus lanes heading into or out of town. Now that is just someone in a car who is commuting to work in central London. Why should they get an easier passage than anyone else?

« Reply #10 on: 15 April, 2012, 06:53:54 pm »
I agree with Adrian - I have no idea why a private vehicle (I can not see them as a form of public transport I am afraid Biggsy - though I do accept that they are invaluable for disabled people) should be allowed into a bus lane.  They are, largely, a mode of transport for the privileged and are often carrying only 1 passenger - not something that should be taking up a lot of space in a bus lane.

They should be limited to buses and, for safety reasons, bikes and, probably, motorbikes (though instant £1000 fine for being in an ASL!).

This can't be a good thing because as soon as Addison Lee start using them, every other dodgy Sharon and Galaxy driving minicab will be in there.

And every other swinging dick who registers themselves as a minicab just to beable to use them.

« Reply #11 on: 15 April, 2012, 06:55:40 pm »
I often see black cabs with no passengers in bus lanes heading into or out of town. Now that is just someone in a car who is commuting to work in central London. Why should they get an easier passage than anyone else?

Noel Edmonds got into a spot of bother in Bristol recently driving his private black cab. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 15 April, 2012, 06:56:26 pm »
I note that, for all they say it's legal, they expect drivers to be fined.  I hope the Met are alert to this planned and pre-meditated act of mass law breaking, and will respond proportionately.
Getting there...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #13 on: 15 April, 2012, 08:24:12 pm »
I note that, for all they say it's legal, they expect drivers to be fined.  I hope the Met are alert to this planned and pre-meditated act of mass law breaking, and will respond proportionately.

I fear there is more chance of us all suffering a major dumping-upon from the flocks of pigs flying over our heads.

AL's boss, John Griffin seems to be positioning himself as the Michael O'Leary of the minicab trade.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #14 on: 15 April, 2012, 08:47:53 pm »
Quicker journeys reduce minicab fares, cheaper alternative transport reduces car ownership, lower car ownership means fewer parked cars, fewer parked cars means happier cycling.

Some things in life are bad,
They can really make you mad,
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle,
Don't grumble, give a whistle,
And this'll help things turn out for the best...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #15 on: 15 April, 2012, 09:03:00 pm »
Getting some updates from Twitter:

Tom Edwards ‏ @BBCTomEdwards
Addison Lee has told its drivers to go in bus lanes as part of long running legal battle. Tfl warning drivers they could be prosecuted

Also:
Tfl says "urgently considering legal & regulatory action against Addison Lee" who told it's drivers to use bus lanes.

« Reply #16 on: 15 April, 2012, 09:39:05 pm »
I would turn that the other way around and say that I can see no good reason, elderly and disabled passengers aside, why black cabs should be allowed in bus lanes.

+1

Now we can expect a bucket load of tailgating and close passing.  :facepalm:

I'm still going to take the whole bus lane, this is even more reason not to ride by the kerb.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #17 on: 15 April, 2012, 09:51:35 pm »
Quicker journeys reduce minicab fares, cheaper alternative transport reduces car ownership, lower car ownership means fewer parked cars, fewer parked cars means happier cycling.
If only that lot would follow in sequence.

« Reply #19 on: 15 April, 2012, 10:22:11 pm »
Addison Lee routinely use the bus lanes along Queenstown Road anyway. I just assumed they were allowed to because of the blue TFL stickers.
Black cabs in Knightsbridge make the bus lanes through Kensington a complete joke. Saturdays and Friday evenings the lines of cabs loitering around Harrods make a nonsense of any concept of bus lanes.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #20 on: 15 April, 2012, 10:40:51 pm »
Black cabs in Knightsbridge make the bus lanes through Kensington a complete joke. Saturdays and Friday evenings the lines of cabs loitering around Harrods make a nonsense of any concept of bus lanes.

The cabs around Harrods are in taxi ranks.

The reason black cabs can use bus lanes is because they are "plying for hire", we can pick up passengers at the side of the road.  If we were not aloud to use the bus lanes then this would involve either pulling over into the bus lane or the passenger having to walk across the bus lane to reach the cab.  Mini-cabs are not allowed to ply for hire, they must be pre-booked.  The are allowed to pull in to a bus lane to pick up and drop off their passenger and also to stop on red routes for this purpose. 

Quote from: Biggsy on Today at 20:47:53
Quicker journeys reduce minicab fares

Not so, mini-cabs charge by mileage - the speed of the journey is irrelevant.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #21 on: 15 April, 2012, 10:46:55 pm »
It ain't going to happen anytime soon folks:

UPDATE: since posting this story, earlier on Sunday, Transport for London has been quick to issue a statement condemning the Addison Lee letter.

TfL said private hire vehicle drivers could be liable to personal criminal prosecution if they drive in bus lanes.

"Police resources will be on street tomorrow morning [ie Monday] to ensure bus lanes are only used by those vehicles permitted to do so," said TfL.

TfL warns Addison Lee drivers they may be personally liable to prosecution, irrespective of any indemnity that Addison Lee claims to offer in its letter above.

Leon Daniels, Managing Director of Surface Transport, said: "The letter from the management of Addison Lee is utterly irresponsible. By issuing it, Addison Lee risk regulatory action against themselves and leave their staff liable to criminal prosecution.

"We have asked Addison Lee to withdraw their letter immediately. We are also writing to all Addison Lee drivers reminding them that repeated breaches of traffic regulations could see their licence to operate withdrawn."

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #22 on: 15 April, 2012, 10:51:25 pm »

It is relevant because they would get more passengers per day if the journeys were quicker, allowing the fares to be reduced.  (Fares are minimalised through competition.  More of the fare goes on wages than petrol).

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #23 on: 15 April, 2012, 10:52:58 pm »

It is relevant because they would get more passengers per day if the journeys were quicker, allowing the fares to be reduced.  (Fares are minimalised through competition.  More of the fare goes on wages than petrol).

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #24 on: 15 April, 2012, 10:55:07 pm »

Do you really think they would reduce their fares?

Notice sent from TFL to all PHV operators
Transport for London

London Taxi and Private Hire

Notice 05/12

Important information for all Private Hire Drivers and Operators

Under current regulations it is illegal for London private hire vehicles (PHVs) to drive in Bus Lanes operated by Transport for London (TfL) and London Local Authorities except when picking up and setting down passengers.

On Saturday 14 April it came to our attention that a letter had been issued by a director of Addison Lee plc to its PHV drivers in which he stated (among other things) that they were “fully entitled to use the bus lanes” and that he would indemnify them in respect of fines and other liabilities incurred as a result of following his advice.

A company owned by Addison Lee has brought legal proceedings arguing that the current regulations are in breach of European Union law. TfL is contesting those proceedings. The proceedings have not been determined and there has been no order by the court suspending the effect of the regulations.

The court will make its decision in due course. As regulatory authority for taxis and PHVs in London, TfL considers the decision to issue this letter inciting drivers to break the law now is irresponsible. It has called upon them to rescind it. It is urgently considering legal and regulatory action against Addison Lee and will revoke their licence to operate if necessary.
However, quite separately from this action, TfL hereby issues the following notice to all licensed PHV drivers in London:
Under current regulations, driving a PHV in a Bus Lane, during the hours when the Bus Lane is operative (and other than to pick up and set down passengers) is a criminal offence for which PHV drivers may be personally prosecuted. Those regulations remain valid until and unless there is a court order suspending their effect.

There has been no such court order. This means that, as a PHV driver, you must not drive in Bus Lanes other than to pick up and set down passengers.

If you do so, you will be committing a criminal offence and you will be personally liable to prosecution, irrespective of any indemnity which anyone else may purport to give.

TfL has power to suspend or revoke a PHV operator’s or driver’s licence if it is no longer satisfied that the licence holder is fit to hold such a licence.

Please take note that:
drivers who repeatedly contravene traffic regulations, including by intentionally driving in Bus Lanes, other than to pick up or set down passengers, may be considered unfit to hold a PHV driver’s licence; and
operators who encourage such conduct may be considered unfit to hold a PHV operator’s licence.

TfL requests operators to bring this notice to the attention of all their PHV drivers.

If you have any questions with regards to the contents of this notice, or you require advice or guidance then please contact us directly via tphenquiries@tfl.gov.uk or 0845 602 7000.

15 April 2012

John Mason

For previous Notices visit tfl.gov.uk/tph Director, Taxi and Private Hire

I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.