Author Topic: Flatlands 600 : Great Dunmow : 18 / 19 May 2019  (Read 11146 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: Flatlands 600 : Great Dunmow : 18 / 19 May 2019
« Reply #25 on: 15 May, 2019, 06:34:26 am »
I rode along very briefly with Tom just outside Saffron Walden today as he was finishing his routecheck. Even with 580k in his legs compared to about 40k in mine, he was still able to leave me for dust  :-[

At last I was running on a [late] full breakfast from The Welly. At my first stop of the day at Sleaford McD's around 5, they were closed for 'essential maintenance'. Too early at Spalding for the 'spoons, so had to make do with Greggs [plan was to waste a bit of time at McD's and time it right, but too cold to hang about]. Once the easterly picked up it was a bit of a slog across the last bit of flat stuff and my average speed tumbled for the first time. By the time the mountain of bacon, Lincolnshire sausages, black pudding, fried bread, mushrooms, saute potatoes, eggs and beans had settled I was flying.  :thumbsup:

Also, by chance, rode with Richard Lake, [Audax Club Lincolnshire] along the Trent at sunset, towards the Keadby Bridge.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: 16 May, 2019, 07:02:52 am »
Route sheet glitches on stage 4 Boston to Kirton: missed one of Wilkyboy's corrections - it's 2nd L after sharp RH bend [not LH!] $ TATTERSHALL THORPE

Also, at Goole [stage 5] the new roads and RBTs confused me at late o'clock: so long as you go over the M62 and SO $ Rawcliffe you'll be ok. The gps tracks are spot on, just don't go onto the motorway! The old route [Anderson Rd, Rawcliffe Rd] would be better at an earlier hour, but later on Saturday the new bypass will be quiet - it's a bit shorter and a better surface too. Just watch for the odd lorry from the Eddie Stobart and Tesco distribution centres heading onto the M62.

« Reply #27 on: 16 May, 2019, 07:22:26 am »
I asked my dad (like I asked last year) if he fancied driving down from Brid at silly o’clock to meet me at Goole McD, so I could see him (and have a kip in his car), and he said “no” (like he did last year). It’ll be an Audax hotel again somewhere!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

rob

« Reply #28 on: 16 May, 2019, 08:51:48 am »
Also, at Goole [stage 5] the new roads and RBTs confused me at late o'clock: so long as you go over the M62 and SO $ Rawcliffe you'll be ok. The gps tracks are spot on, just don't go onto the motorway! The old route [Anderson Rd, Rawcliffe Rd] would be better at an earlier hour, but later on Saturday the new bypass will be quiet - it's a bit shorter and a better surface too. Just watch for the odd lorry from the Eddie Stobart and Tesco distribution centres heading onto the M62.

I'll need to remember that as I'm using a GPS file constructed from my last ride in Sep-17 (I do remember the new fast roads from last year).   It handles my off-course excursion to my overnight stop at 400k without fiddling.   To be honest I think I can do most of this from memory now.

Forecast looks pretty benign.

bairn again

« Reply #29 on: 16 May, 2019, 11:13:16 am »
Wagons will roll at 0540 tomorrow from Edinburgh Waverley.  Heading to the Travelodge Great Dunmow via Liverpool St and either B. Stortford or Braintree.   

I had contemplated bivvying and saving the refundable cost of the T'lodge in Gainsborough Saturday night but while the weather forecast remains reasonably benign the prospect of some rain showers has made me go for the softy option.

Planning to meet up for a quick hello with my son as the route helpfully goes right past his bedroom window at 567.5 km. 

Hoping that he will be awake by then....mid afternoon Sunday....so 50/50.       

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #30 on: 16 May, 2019, 11:21:16 am »
Planning to meet up for a quick hello with my son as the route helpfully goes right past his bedroom window at 567.5 km. 

He's a student, isn't he  ::-)  (I recognise the distance — I passed the end of our lane at about 562km)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

bairn again

« Reply #31 on: 16 May, 2019, 12:09:31 pm »

He's a student, isn't he  ::-)  (I recognise the distance — I passed the end of our lane at about 562km)

Yup. St Catharine's College.  Excellent of Tomsk to facilitate this without any route deviation.   

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #32 on: 16 May, 2019, 12:34:24 pm »
Yup.   

:thumbsup:

I'll need to remember that as I'm using a GPS file constructed from my last ride in Sep-17 (I do remember the new fast roads from last year).   It handles my off-course excursion to my overnight stop at 400k without fiddling.   To be honest I think I can do most of this from memory now.

You could use the 300km northbound GPS file and then switch back to your's for off-coursiness on the return leg?

rob

« Reply #33 on: 16 May, 2019, 01:16:14 pm »

You could use the 300km northbound GPS file and then switch back to your's for off-coursiness on the return leg?

Cheers.   Makes sense.   I've already uploaded everything for the weekend so probably will minimise the faff and leave everything as is.

I have looked at the old track and I'm not entirely sure what I was doing in a couple of places but I'm sure all will be fine.

« Reply #34 on: 16 May, 2019, 09:53:37 pm »
Just remembered to check the route to see if the steep cobbled descent in Lincoln is still on the route, and yes it is. Looks to me like the best way to avoid it is turning right at the roundabout by the 24 hour Shell garage and rejoining the route at the bottom of the hill.

(The routesheet does cover both routes - But who reads those? 😁)

« Reply #35 on: 17 May, 2019, 02:38:40 pm »
Just remembered to check the route to see if the steep cobbled descent in Lincoln is still on the route, and yes it is. Looks to me like the best way to avoid it is turning right at the roundabout by the 24 hour Shell garage and rejoining the route at the bottom of the hill.

(The routesheet does cover both routes - But who reads those? 😁)

The cobbled descent is a highlight... if you don't go that way you miss the Cathedral.... and what is Audax without a train/native animal/architectural element?

« Reply #36 on: 18 May, 2019, 01:36:00 pm »
Possibly a little light rain for the riders at the start, but soon brightening up. Do we know how many set off?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: 18 May, 2019, 02:48:21 pm »
97 started, 73 on the 06:00, 10 at 06:30 and 14 at 07:00. One DNF [unwell, p+nct#r@$] - train back from Peterborough. Apparently wetter and windier in the Fens than here this morning ...

rob

« Reply #38 on: 19 May, 2019, 05:20:30 am »
97 started, 73 on the 06:00, 10 at 06:30 and 14 at 07:00. One DNF [unwell, p+nct#r@$] - train back from Peterborough. Apparently wetter and windier in the Fens than here this morning ...

Wind was very light Nthly all day.  Drizzled quite a lot and I had a good hour of rain around Boston.   Setting off from Lincoln 6am for the last 200k.  Quite foggy here.

« Reply #39 on: 19 May, 2019, 06:00:44 am »
Lots of rain and drizzle up to Boston for me yesterday. All but a couple of the wind turbines around have been stationary and pointing all directions.

Currently extracting Full Value from Gainsborough Travelodge.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: 19 May, 2019, 06:33:08 am »
One more DNF reported in: ran out of steam in Boston.

« Reply #41 on: 19 May, 2019, 09:45:59 am »
And me... Feeling fast and strong (for me) but three hours of soaking rain left me very unenthused at Boston. I thought not having done the proper Flatlands since 2016 I could handle the drudgery and traffic but it turns out I was wrong. Will be some good fast time though as wind was low to zero. This has various knock-on effects for the season, now have to do Windsor-Chester-Windsor IF I can still be arsed with PBP. At least WCW is all new roads ;-) Will give myself a few days to think about it all and see how much my hissy fit is momentary or systematic. Is this the year I fall out of love with rides that normal people think is long - 60 miles with a cake stop?

« Reply #42 on: 19 May, 2019, 09:57:47 am »
And me...

Sorry to hear that. But do keep in mind that the weather in France in August is bound to be comparatively very nice (don't quote me!), and Flatlands is not a walk in the park for a number of reasons, which you've just reminded yourself about. WCW does look like a superb alternative, with many familiar faces signed-up, but unfortunately it clashed for me.

And then there's Normandicat ...

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #43 on: 19 May, 2019, 09:57:53 am »
Having packed everything in the car Friday evening due to a poor night’s sleep and other stuff I decided early yesterday morning not to ride. Seems like a good decision now  ::-)

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #44 on: 19 May, 2019, 10:28:59 am »
And me... Feeling fast and strong (for me) but three hours of soaking rain left me very unenthused at Boston. I thought not having done the proper Flatlands since 2016 I could handle the drudgery and traffic but it turns out I was wrong. Will be some good fast time though as wind was low to zero. This has various knock-on effects for the season, now have to do Windsor-Chester-Windsor IF I can still be arsed with PBP. At least WCW is all new roads ;-) Will give myself a few days to think about it all and see how much my hissy fit is momentary or systematic. Is this the year I fall out of love with rides that normal people think is long - 60 miles with a cake stop?

Sorry to hear that, Al.  I'll hopefully see you on WCW where I'll make you feel better by being a lot slower than you up the hills ...

« Reply #45 on: 19 May, 2019, 04:35:52 pm »
I was DNF number 1. My first pack in five years of audaxing and I am still trying to figure out exactly what happened.

Probably combination of factors, came in underprepared after night shifts earlier this week. Weather worse than forecasts I had seen, and recent head cold settling nicely onto my chest, so feeling generally a bit run down.

Got wet early with the rain and probably worked too hard too early, and so got sweaty, and perhaps my waterproof kept that moisture in? Despite wearing a merino baselayer, rapha wool jersey and waterproof top layer, I just felt crap. Perhaps more the illness than anything else, you don't always know how the body will respond when you push a little even through a relatively minor illness.

Got second p#$%&%$e of two (both rear) a few miles short of whittlesey control. Took my time fixing it as my head was gone and I had mentally given up, did at least find the 2mm shard of glass that was twice my undoing during a thorough inspection of the tyre. I then put every piece of clothing I had with me on and soft pedalled to Peterborough station.

Then got quite hot and sweaty cycling from bishops stortford to gt dunmow to collect my rucksack, as it was 15oC, barely a breath of wind and the sun was out!!!

PBP qualification now near impossible (I would have to enter Tom's A&S 400k, travel down again from Scotland and miss my Dad's 70th...no.). Not my year this year.

« Reply #46 on: 19 May, 2019, 05:16:16 pm »
and recent head cold settling nicely onto my chest, so feeling generally a bit run down.

Which is the reason I was a DNS earlier in the week. I was trying to convince myself from Wednesday that I'd probably be ok, but common sense got the better of me [I'm not inferring you don't don't have any common sense btw :)], and there was no way I was going to be ok. It's so easy to play games internally with these things, but you've got to be right for a distance like this, it's a big ask of your resources, and if you're not in good shape from the outset, then the body will let you know for sure. Others may disagree, but it just doesn't do us any good to try and override these messages.

Bad luck on the PBP qualification [might there be another way and you can still qualify and still get to your your Dads 70th? ...where there's a will there's a way, and all that.] Not sure of your age, but there will be another one along on 4 yrs. And time passes very quickly.
Garry Broad

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #47 on: 19 May, 2019, 05:43:07 pm »
I was DNF number 1. My first pack in five years of audaxing and I am still trying to figure out exactly what happened.

Probably combination of factors, came in underprepared after night shifts earlier this week. Weather worse than forecasts I had seen, and recent head cold settling nicely onto my chest, so feeling generally a bit run down.

Got wet early with the rain and probably worked too hard too early, and so got sweaty, and perhaps my waterproof kept that moisture in? Despite wearing a merino baselayer, rapha wool jersey and waterproof top layer, I just felt crap. Perhaps more the illness than anything else, you don't always know how the body will respond when you push a little even through a relatively minor illness.

Got second p#$%&%$e of two (both rear) a few miles short of whittlesey control. Took my time fixing it as my head was gone and I had mentally given up, did at least find the 2mm shard of glass that was twice my undoing during a thorough inspection of the tyre. I then put every piece of clothing I had with me on and soft pedalled to Peterborough station.

Then got quite hot and sweaty cycling from bishops stortford to gt dunmow to collect my rucksack, as it was 15oC, barely a breath of wind and the sun was out!!!

PBP qualification now near impossible (I would have to enter Tom's A&S 400k, travel down again from Scotland and miss my Dad's 70th...no.). Not my year this year.
I heard there's a Kendall 600 (?) last night which might be closer?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #48 on: 19 May, 2019, 06:08:47 pm »
Was using this as my 300km as not many events generally up my way. Also I work one in three weekends which has made my calendar a nightmare.

Agree with above post, if even remotely sick I don't think any distance over maybe 200km is really doable, for me anyway.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #49 on: 19 May, 2019, 06:32:00 pm »
I rode with quite a few riders as they passed through our village of Girton, just north of Cambridge, chatting about their rides so far.  In the end I was out for five hours and rode 90km going back and forth.  Ride report — more importantly photos of riders in varying states of coherence! — to follow shortly  :thumbsup: