Author Topic: Bad Sign?  (Read 4103 times)

Bad Sign?
« on: 19 April, 2010, 04:45:48 pm »
Ive got a disc back wheel for my TT bike, its a Moscow Juma wheel(or is it Juna?)
It was a geared back wheel from what i understand with an attachment on which turns it into a fixed.
Anyway, i changed sprocket from 13 to 15 and went to change back to 13 today. The attachment is moving but the sprocket isn't.
Is this a bad sign?
I know that all i need is some grips put on the attachment and with abit of pressure the sprocket will come off, but will the attachment be damaged thread wise do you reckon?
Got me all paranoid, i didn't think i put it on with much force either.

Cheers

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Zoidburg

Re: Bad Sign?
« Reply #1 on: 19 April, 2010, 04:49:38 pm »
You will have to put a picture up.

How old is the wheel?

Casssette?

Screw on freehub?

Miche sprocket carrier?

A google gives the impression that it may well be old Russian TT kit so I am guessing it's a screw on.

Juna Moscow rear disc wheel  on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2010, 04:55:57 pm »
Sounds like a Surly Fixxer to me, maybe.

If so it might just need tightening down

http://surlybikes.com/uploads/downloads/Fixxer.pdf

edit: in light of ZB's comments, maybe not

More info needed, as he says

« Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2010, 04:58:20 pm »
You will have to put a picture up.

How old is the wheel?

Casssette?

Screw on freehub?

Miche sprocket carrier?

Not a miche sprocket carrier.
Its an old wheel which i think took a screw on block. To get the spacing right and to allow a lockring it had an attachment put on it and to space it out.
It is not new.
The person i got it off said the attachment was put on by someone with a vice and it shouldn't move, anyway it is moving, but taking some force to move. I know as soon as you get the sprocket loosening it will come off but it just aint going at the moment.

The only picture that i have to hand at the moment isnt that good, ill go take one in a min

Zoidburg

« Reply #4 on: 19 April, 2010, 05:00:12 pm »
If you look at the other flicker photo (not mine I might add) It looks like that wheel takes a particular converter made in Russia.

What Mal suggest would work though.

« Reply #5 on: 19 April, 2010, 05:03:58 pm »

A google gives the impression that it may well be old Russian TT kit so I am guessing it's a screw on.

Juna Moscow rear disc wheel  on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Yeh thats the one.
So tightening it up should work?
Will any damage have been done? It seemed to be pretty solid before.
Heres a picture of it sort of anyway, just got to find the lead for my phone to get better ones

Zoidburg

« Reply #6 on: 19 April, 2010, 05:07:38 pm »
We need a few pictures showing how the sprocket actualy engages with the hub.

« Reply #7 on: 19 April, 2010, 05:14:14 pm »
Here you go.

The sprocket just screws on to the attachment.
Thats then just screwed on to the wheel.

Zoidburg

« Reply #8 on: 19 April, 2010, 05:17:14 pm »
Works like the surly.

I am guessing he stripped the thread by tightening it down in a vice.

Take it off and have a look, I would use a good adjustable and not grips.

« Reply #9 on: 19 April, 2010, 05:28:55 pm »
Works like the surly.

I am guessing he stripped the thread by tightening it down in a vice.

Take it off and have a look, I would use a good adjustable and not grips.

Im not sure if he did or not, it is on really tight, but the sprocket just doesnt seem to want to come off. But to be honest when i took a sprocket off my normal fixed a few days ago it wasnt on as tight.
Ill use an adjustable on it then when i come to remove the sprocket, fitting a new tub on it at the moment so its still off the bike.

Zoidburg

« Reply #10 on: 19 April, 2010, 05:31:17 pm »
I meant remove the converter as that was what you described as being the thing that was moving.

It shouldn't do that, take it off, if the threads are intact it means it wasn't tightened enough and thats the reason for the wiggle, if the threads are borked it was over tightened.

The sprocket it's self is sitting on it's own thread and that seem's solid so it must be the converter where it threads onto the hub body.

« Reply #11 on: 19 April, 2010, 05:36:13 pm »
Okey dokey, cheers Zoidburg.
To be honest i could remove it using a chainchip because the sprocket wasnt moving.
If it has gone, is that it or could i get one of them surley things? Thinking the worst.

Zoidburg

« Reply #12 on: 19 April, 2010, 05:39:42 pm »
Thread gone - dead disc wheel.

Unless there is thread under the girt big dust cover on the other side.

« Reply #13 on: 19 April, 2010, 05:41:59 pm »
Thread gone - dead disc wheel.

Unless there is thread under the girt big dust cover on the other side.

Dead disc wheel? I dont think so, ill bodge it.

Zoidburg

« Reply #14 on: 19 April, 2010, 05:45:20 pm »
Not with a screw on fixed gear disc wheel you won't.

Dead is dead once that thread has gone, you can't weld steel to ally, there isn't enough ally in the hub to drill or tap and no manner of adhesive will be strong enough to take the the torque.

« Reply #15 on: 19 April, 2010, 05:54:40 pm »
Not with a screw on fixed gear disc wheel you won't.

Dead is dead once that thread has gone, you can't weld steel to ally, there isn't enough ally in the hub to drill or tap and no manner of adhesive will be strong enough to take the the torque.

Pah

« Reply #16 on: 19 April, 2010, 05:56:51 pm »
I had something like that once.
It was noramal for the converter to come off before the sprocket if I tried to remove it with a chain whip. I just removed the lot, then popped the converter in a vice and removed the sprocket with a chain whip.
I always used to use plenty of grease on the threads, but it still seized. I've since discovered assembly grease (or Coppa slip)
Steel does bind with aluminium, so it makes sense to me that the aluminium converter on aluminium hub will undo before the steel sprocket on the aluminium converter.

« Reply #17 on: 19 April, 2010, 06:04:41 pm »
I had something like that once.
It was noramal for the converter to come off before the sprocket if I tried to remove it with a chain whip. I just removed the lot, then popped the converter in a vice and removed the sprocket with a chain whip.
I always used to use plenty of grease on the threads, but it still seized. I've since discovered assembly grease (or Coppa slip)
Steel does bind with aluminium, so it makes sense to me that the aluminium converter on aluminium hub will undo before the steel sprocket on the aluminium converter.

Be jolly nice if it was that. Ill probably take it off tomorrow and see, looking at it through my fingers.
Its on pretty secure now, all it really needs is is something to hold the attachment while i take the sprocket off, but would be nice to check. Im pretty sure it will be fine though, maybe, i hope

« Reply #18 on: 19 April, 2010, 06:14:37 pm »
all it really needs is is something to hold the attachment while i take the sprocket off,

A vice is best. But as I don't have a vice, I used to sometimes use a drain cover in the street which had just the right sized gap to fit the converter into.