Author Topic: Pompinos on Sale - some questions  (Read 27643 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Pompinos on Sale - some questions
« Reply #50 on: 02 October, 2010, 11:10:44 am »
On-One are still selling them at the £399 mark: click look away now.

I've ridden mine a tiny bit around town and it's very nice, tho that's partly because I am enjoying riding a fixed gear bike and the 28 cc tyres. I'll update once I've done some more miles.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #51 on: 02 October, 2010, 11:35:02 pm »
That was close . :hand:

« Reply #52 on: 02 October, 2010, 11:40:48 pm »
This might be a daft question, but is there a way of working out what the best length stem to order would be without actually trying it? (By measuring my arms or something??)

Must_not_press_buy_button  :o

αdαmsκι

« Reply #53 on: 02 October, 2010, 11:46:55 pm »
I've now ordered bikes online on two occasions and both times I've taken an educated guess at stem length based on experience. If I got it wrong it isn't too tricky to switch to another stem.

That said, I guess one could measure the length of a current bike (ie top tube + stem) and then compare that figure to the top tube length of the Pompino to give a rough idea how much extra distance one would need - ie how long a stem one would need.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #54 on: 02 October, 2010, 11:50:04 pm »
I've now ordered bikes online on two occasions and both times I've taken an educated guess at stem length based on experience. If I got it wrong it isn't too tricky to switch to another stem.

That said, I guess one could measure the length of a current bike (ie top tube + stem) and then compare that figure to the top tube length of the Pompino to give a rough idea how much extra distance one would need - ie how long a stem one would need.

Thanks! Would I have to make allowances for my current bike having flat bars and the Pomp having drops?

αdαmsκι

« Reply #55 on: 03 October, 2010, 12:00:37 am »
Ah, good point. I didn't think about that 'cos I just assumed all bikes have drops :facepalm:. Yes, that'll need to be taken into account because it's likely you'll find yourself riding on the hoods (ie the brake levers) a lot of the time. On my Pompino the hoods add about another 10 mm to the reach.

Also, remember the whole geometry of the Pompino will be different to your Fuji, so while you may be able to get the same reach on both bikes, they'll probably still feel quite different.

« Reply #56 on: 03 October, 2010, 12:05:03 am »
TBH I'm not sure that my Fuji is perfectly set up for me anyway, I've nothing to compare it with being my first decent bike. Like you said though, if I mess up and get the wrong stem I could always replace it later. Of course if I order the Pomp I will need to get it a different saddle, my Fuji came with a mens one and I tried to 'break it in' for about 150 miles before I realised that it just wasn't happening! What a shame Brooks saddles don't come in white.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #57 on: 03 October, 2010, 12:10:06 am »
Ah. Yes. The seatpost and saddle on the Pompino are annoying. It comes with a On One Pivotal seatpost, which needs a special saddle such as the On One Pivotal Saddle. I wanted to replace it with a conventional saddle, which means I've needed to buy a new seatpost too.

« Reply #58 on: 03 October, 2010, 12:12:41 am »
Ah. Yes. The seatpost and saddle on the Pompino are annoying. It comes with a On One Pivotal seatpost, which needs a special saddle such as the On One Pivotal Saddle. I wanted to replace it with a conventional saddle, which means I've needed to buy a new seatpost too.

:o this is good to know in advance, I need to add up what the finished bike will cost me I think!

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #59 on: 07 October, 2010, 07:46:05 am »
I've taken the plunge and bought a Pompino after the frame on my fixie developed a crack. Buying on the internet is just too easy. I knew it was a matter of time when I put it in the shopping basket and thought about it for a couple of days.
Hope the wait for it isn't long - they quote 5-7 days. 

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #60 on: 17 October, 2010, 09:06:06 pm »
The Pompino arrived the other day. On One were very good, e-mails to say it was being built then dispatched, then a text message from the delivery people giving an hour time slot they'd be calling. All very efficient.
Fitted some full mudguards, lights and I was off. Nice bike and good value (although I notice they now gone up a £100), fancy looking wheels and smart looking. Very pleased, although I miss the bike it replaced. (I've talked on other threads about this one, I think I may need therapy).
Must replace the saddle (and seat post as mentioned above) though, I feel like one of Mike Tyson's opponents (battered about the ring).

« Reply #61 on: 17 October, 2010, 09:15:58 pm »
TBH I'm not sure that my Fuji is perfectly set up for me anyway, I've nothing to compare it with being my first decent bike. Like you said though, if I mess up and get the wrong stem I could always replace it later. Of course if I order the Pomp I will need to get it a different saddle, my Fuji came with a mens one and I tried to 'break it in' for about 150 miles before I realised that it just wasn't happening! What a shame Brooks saddles don't come in white.

Ahem

Brooks Team Pro White CMWC Tokyo Saddle

May add to the bikes value somewhat though ;D

« Reply #62 on: 17 October, 2010, 09:23:03 pm »
Be different. Go to www.mcmwin.com and get white or another colour.

« Reply #63 on: 17 October, 2010, 10:58:57 pm »

Ahem

Brooks Team Pro White CMWC Tokyo Saddle

May add to the bikes value somewhat though ;D

No use to me although I could afford it, I need a ladies saddle :)

LindaG

« Reply #64 on: 19 October, 2010, 12:31:00 pm »
I'm shopping for bits to go on my new Pompino when it arrives.  

I'd quite like 32mm tyres for commuting as I tend not to spot lumps in the road in the dark.  The frame will take them.  

But I also need 'guards and have my heart set on the SKS ones.  

Would the 35mm 'guards be big enough?  

And will the frame clearance be sufficient for both?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #65 on: 19 October, 2010, 12:43:39 pm »
I've put 45mm SKS mudguards on mine and they fit fine.  My tyres are Continental City Contact 32, at least I think they're 32.  I'm certainly glad I bought these mudguards instead of the 35mm ones, they'd probably have rubbed the tyres and me up the wrong way.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #66 on: 19 October, 2010, 05:22:59 pm »
I've  got 28mm tyres and have fitted the 35mm SKS guards. For 32mm tyres I'd get the bigger SKS guards.

« Reply #67 on: 21 October, 2010, 01:23:37 pm »
The Pompino is a great work bike; not very exciting (the geometry?), but a reliable workhorse for long, slow miles. 28 mm tyres, Schmidt hub and eDelight light, guards, rack... ready for heavy duty winter rides.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

border-rider

« Reply #68 on: 21 October, 2010, 04:29:44 pm »
Try pedalling harder ;)

Mine was always quite nippy.

Chris S

« Reply #69 on: 21 October, 2010, 04:51:28 pm »
Mine was always quite nippy.

I agree - my Pomp isn't noticeably slower than my Dawes FG conversion, which is lighter, has lighter tyres and is Lotus Green, so should be faster.

It's those odd shape stays - they have some magic effect...

border-rider

« Reply #70 on: 21 October, 2010, 04:53:11 pm »
It's rigid as fuck

It's about the only one of my bikes that I can't get the BB shell to move side-to-side on when I'm climbing.

« Reply #71 on: 21 October, 2010, 05:34:47 pm »
Well the rear end is quite lazy; sorry guys! Maybe my 28 mm commuting tyres do not help? Nice work/distance bike, yes, not one I can get excited about for a fun/fast ride. I do pedal reasonably hard I think, currently electing to do our chaingangs on fixed and being able to take solid turns at the front; I think. I compare agaisnt an uber-rigid and responsive custom bike, but also against a less glamorous Langster.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #72 on: 22 October, 2010, 10:56:49 am »
Frenchie, I always disagree with you about this, the Pomp is not as slow as you think.....Its because you ride that bastardised track bike half the time!

LindaG

« Reply #73 on: 22 October, 2010, 11:05:52 am »
They've come back down to £435.  Wish they'd hurry up with mine.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #74 on: 22 October, 2010, 11:12:10 am »
I think the model on sale is now the 2011 version 'cos it's got an integrated bottom bracket with outboard bearings.