Author Topic: Mudguard Rubbage  (Read 4939 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Mudguard Rubbage
« Reply #25 on: 04 July, 2020, 01:49:02 pm »
GP 4 seasons measure up small.

My GP4Season 25mm measure at 26 and 28mm at 30.
Rim internal width has some impact on width too, and may also affect the profile.

It's worth taking a set of calipers to them to see.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 04 July, 2020, 02:27:52 pm »
My GP4S 28 seem to be 29mm wide on Archetypes, which according to mr google are 23mm wide.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #27 on: 04 July, 2020, 02:57:37 pm »
If tyres are rubbing, dare I suggest that it is the depth of the tyre rather than the measured width that is a problem.  This is why tyres are wider on wider rims.  I tend to use old Mavic Open Pro or very similar rims.  On one machine I use a Continental Gatorskin 25mm tyre because they are much lower profile than my Michelin Pro 4 Endurance also in 25.  What are the measured widths?  I don't know because it is the height/depth that is the issue.  Many years ago, when I was a rich man  :P , I used Continental 4 Seasons in 25 and 28 sizes which even then I regarded as quite low profile.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #28 on: 25 October, 2020, 10:13:03 am »
This is an interesting thread, I am having rubbing issues with the rear guard because it twists from side to side (probably not helped by the way I unclip from my pedal).

I also need to do some fettling with the front guard because the fitting is destroying the rubber seal of my headset.
For those Sheldon nuts, how do I work out which length I need for the front nut? The depth of my fork there is about 29mm.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #29 on: 25 October, 2020, 11:35:28 am »
Or, I could buy one of each length of the Gilles Berthoud ones for the same price...
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/9-gilles-berthoud-brake-spindle-screw-for-mudguards/

« Reply #30 on: 25 October, 2020, 04:00:18 pm »
I find that the mudguard can slip in the bridge, resulting it being too close to the tyre in one place (generally, forward of the bridge), and too far away in the other (behind). This especially happens if the clip on the chainstay bridge comes adrift.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #31 on: 25 October, 2020, 04:28:49 pm »
I find that the mudguard can slip in the bridge, resulting it being too close to the tyre in one place (generally, forward of the bridge), and too far away in the other (behind). This especially happens if the clip on the chainstay bridge comes adrift.

Yes, this is exactly what is happening. Even after Pingu tightened up the bolt at the chainstay bridge to super tight it still moves.

« Reply #32 on: 25 October, 2020, 06:04:16 pm »
If you mean the oval slot in the bridge that the fixing bolt goes through then put a 'set' in the top part so it cannot slide down. Useful way of avoiding headset damage as well.

« Reply #33 on: 25 October, 2020, 06:13:12 pm »
The problem I meant is more with the actual guard slipping in the bridge, so not really related to a bolt. In a traditional bridge, such as the one shown by Brucey, you just squeeze it tighter onto the guard to stop that. But I have at least one good-quality guard with a moulded bridge that can't be squeezed, and therefore allows the guard to move. Must replace the bridge sometime.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #34 on: 25 October, 2020, 06:29:11 pm »
My slipping rear guard has a plastic bridge so it's not squeezable, which is probably part of the issue at the rear.

« Reply #35 on: 25 October, 2020, 08:15:35 pm »
My slipping rear guard has a plastic bridge so it's not squeezable, which is probably part of the issue at the rear.
Get the guard properly clean then apply a few wraps of insulating tape to give the bridge something to hang on to ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #36 on: 25 October, 2020, 08:52:10 pm »
How's about some cable ties to stop the bracket slipping down? That's what I've done on my winter bike.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #37 on: 25 October, 2020, 10:39:45 pm »
I don't think it's slipping down, it's twisting from left to right. I have pondered cable ties but not really sure where without drilling a hole in each side.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #38 on: 01 November, 2020, 11:44:37 am »
Or, I could buy one of each length of the Gilles Berthoud ones for the same price...
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/9-gilles-berthoud-brake-spindle-screw-for-mudguards/

I love this forum.  Here's the front guard fitting destroying the headset seal
2020-11-01_11-33-52 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Here's the 2nd shortest screw which was just too long
2020-11-01_11-36-32 by The Pingus, on Flickr

And here's the shortest screw, jobs a good un :)
2020-11-01_11-36-46 by The Pingus, on Flickr

I'm glad I employed the strategy of buying one of each length in the hope that one of them worked. Was still cheaper than buying one set of the Problem Solvers Sheldon Fender nuts.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #39 on: 01 November, 2020, 06:58:44 pm »
for reference, if the bolt/nut is too long it can (fairly easily) be shortened to the required length