Author Topic: NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light  (Read 102913 times)

red marley

Re: NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light
« Reply #75 on: 16 January, 2013, 09:43:58 pm »
Ah, that sounds promising. My current one is 15mm.

« Reply #76 on: 16 January, 2013, 09:45:36 pm »
SJS Cycles sell longer ones.

« Reply #77 on: 16 January, 2013, 09:50:57 pm »
These are handy - not only a longer bolt so that you get a decent amount of brake bolt thread in, but it acts as a nut for an additional smaller bolt to go in the end, in case you want your mudguard bracket on that side of the forks.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/problem-solvers-sheldon-fender-nuts-per-pair-prod18687/

There is a longer version of this - I should know, because I invented it  :smug: in a way, by writing to Problem Solvers asking them to make it.

http://harriscyclery.net/product/problem-solvers-sheldon-fender-nuts-set-includes-32mm-front-and-10mm-rear-sku-bo1506-qc49.htm

« Reply #78 on: 17 January, 2013, 12:08:16 pm »
Ok so which model have people gone for? I was looking at getting another Cyo but might splash out. Looks like the U option is the one to go for?

Andrew

« Reply #79 on: 17 January, 2013, 12:49:30 pm »
If my Cyo wasn't adequate (which it is, and more so) then I might be looking at the U model purely for the USB charger option.

As a rule, I don't like combined functionality but there's often an argument for it, and I can see one in this case. There's a practicality to the combination here that could out weigh problems/compromise.

Still, for that money you can get a Cyo and an USB e-werk so maybe one ought look at any advantages offered by the light itself, or your intended purpose/set up...

« Reply #80 on: 17 January, 2013, 01:55:50 pm »
Actually, thinking about it the Cyo is more than adequate for my needs. I could also buy two Cyos fro the price of the cheapest Luxos...

« Reply #81 on: 17 January, 2013, 03:55:59 pm »
OK, the good news is that mine has arrived today.

The bad news that I am having trouble fitting it to my bike. The following is going to show up my ignorance of these things, but here goes anyway...

The light comes with a fork crown mounting bracket which needs to sit between the front brake and the fork being pinned by the bolt that normally attaches the brake to the fork. The problem I have is that this bolt is currently exactly the correct length to make contact with the threaded recessed nut that sits 'in' the rear side of the fork. If I add the 5mm or so of the mounting bracket, the bolt can no longer reach. Worse still, the ring that sits between the fork and frame would interfere with the mounting bracket unless I added about 4mm of spacers to hold the bracket away from the frame. There are currently no spacers in my setup to remove to give me any extra length. So the bolt is upwards of 1cm short of its ideal length if I want to use the supplied mounting bracket.

So what options do I have? Do front brakes come with different bolt lengths? Would it be too dangerous to remove the gnarled nut that holds the spring in place? Are there alternative mounting brackets that are used to avoid this problem? Googling doesn't turn up anything obvious to me other than scary things like drilling into forks.

Apologies for the awkward explanation, but it strikes me this must be quite a common problem and I would have thought one that have an obvious solution I have missed.

BTW, the light itself looks great so far.

Jo - in case you haven't sorted it yet, this page may help: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brake-spares-other-dept356_pg1/#page=

If you scroll down to the Wheels Manufacturing bolts GBP3.99 each, you'll see they are the usual brake bolt nut but in different longer lengths. They reach further through the fork crown to get to the brake bolt, which is not so far into the fork crown once you've put the lamp bracket on. They don't have a thread in the back though, so you can't fasten your mudguard bracket on the back of the fork crown, but then I'm guessing you don't want to.to

One point to note, if you've not already discovered it - depending on exactly which type of headset you have fitted, the lamp bracket can sometimes foul the bottom race cap if you try and fit it right up hard against the fork crown. You may need to pack it out a bit, which will mean the brake bolt will need to be even longer still.

Apologies if I'm pointing out the bleeding obvious! :facepalm:

« Reply #82 on: 17 January, 2013, 09:55:19 pm »
One other thing to watch out for on the "problem solvers" type brake nuts - your forks may limit the maximum length that you can fit. The Carbon forks on my Roubaix have a shoulder recessed into them for the nut to rest against. If you use a nut that is too long, it clamps against the front face of the fork leaving the nut's shoulder in free space, rather than clamping where it should do - and potentially giving a nasty failure mode on the road as you're putting all the strain onto the very narrow leading edge of the nut.

I used the depth rod on a vernier to measure how long a nut I could fit, after initially buying one that was too long (but realising after fitting it, and before riding). The one I needed wasn't a stupidly long length (ISTR that the SRAM Red brakes came with 18mm, I needed 22mm or something like that).

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #83 on: 17 January, 2013, 10:14:05 pm »
it's best to cut the brake nut that's too long that it would almost touch the inner front face of the fork - for maximum engagement. also, if the brake nut is not enclosed in a fork (as is usually the case with steel forks), don't use alloy brake nuts for obvious reasons.

« Reply #84 on: 21 January, 2013, 01:13:18 pm »
Star bike have the U version in now,
http://www.starbike.com/p/Busch-M%FCller-LUMOTEC-IQ2-LUXOS-5251-en

Might have to wait for pay day tho
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #85 on: 22 January, 2013, 09:26:54 am »
Morning all

Do we have any users of this light yet? Am ordering stuff from bike discount today and am torn between another Cyo and the cheap Luxos.
Decisions, decisions.................

red marley

« Reply #86 on: 22 January, 2013, 12:04:26 pm »
My Luxos U is fitted on the bike and ready to go. Unfortunately snow and ice are preventing me from riding with it so far. I'll post a review as soon as I get some dark riding in...

P.S. Thanks for the advice on brake bolts etc. My ignorance knows no bounds when it comes to fettling.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #87 on: 22 January, 2013, 12:10:27 pm »
My Luxos U is fitted on the bike and ready to go. Unfortunately snow and ice are preventing me from riding with it so far. I'll post a review as soon as I get some dark riding in...

P.S. Thanks for the advice on brake bolts etc. My ignorance knows no bounds when it comes to fettling.

I am waiting for the review with interest as I should probably stock them.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #88 on: 22 January, 2013, 12:45:13 pm »
A user on bikeforums has a mini review/first impression of a Luxos B here:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/868117-B-amp-M-Luxos-B-First-commute

Says it is better than the Cyo R when it comes to near field illumination (especially to the sides) and long distance throw.
--
Regards

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #89 on: 22 January, 2013, 01:26:31 pm »
A user on bikeforums has a mini review/first impression of a Luxos B here:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/868117-B-amp-M-Luxos-B-First-commute

Says it is better than the Cyo R when it comes to near field illumination (especially to the sides) and long distance throw.

Sounds excellent.

Slightly obscure request to whoever writes a review, on behalf of the darksiders:  Could someone post details/photos of the connection between the handlebar switch and the light.  I'm assuming the cable is going to be far too short to reach the handlebars on most recumbents, so it'll be useful to know if it's a standard connector...

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
« Reply #90 on: 24 January, 2013, 04:14:09 am »

Slightly obscure request to whoever writes a review, on behalf of the darksiders:  Could someone post details/photos of the connection between the handlebar switch and the light.  I'm assuming the cable is going to be far too short to reach the handlebars on most recumbents, so it'll be useful to know if it's a standard connector...

Good point. I had been thinking of this and did wonder if one could extend the wiring.  The cyclist I know who has a 179U coming also rides a trike so will ask him about the possible fit on this Greenspeed.

Andrew

« Reply #91 on: 04 February, 2013, 11:13:34 pm »
So, no reviews yet?

According to this, it would be a fantastic replacement for the Cyo:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.asp (search for "luxos U" towards the middle of the page)

However this review is a bit more cautious (it's not the USB model though):
http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/koplampen/BM_luxos/index_en.html

red marley

« Reply #92 on: 04 February, 2013, 11:30:29 pm »
Sorry - been a bit busy, but will try to add a full review soon. So far I've only used mine for commuting so haven't had a chance to test it on proper dark lanes. But initial impressions are very positive. It has a good spreading beam which is exactly what I was hoping for as I much prefer broad solidlights type patterns over brighter spots common in more recent lights. It appears ~much~ brighter than the SolidLights while having an even broader beam, but I really must test it away from street lamps before commenting further...

« Reply #93 on: 06 February, 2013, 02:00:15 am »
Quick question for anyone who has one: do you know the dimensions? I'd like to get one for my Brompton, but space is quite tight there (to fit around the front carrier block when unfolded and under the tube when folded). I know that new Bromptons now offer some version of B&M Cyo, so if the Luxos is about the same size then hopefully it will fit too.

« Reply #94 on: 06 February, 2013, 08:09:42 am »
Dimensions of the Luxos are listed in the second review posted by Arn0 above
Eddington: 114 Miles

LEE

« Reply #95 on: 06 February, 2013, 09:39:22 am »
So, no reviews yet?

According to this, it would be a fantastic replacement for the Cyo:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.asp (search for "luxos U" towards the middle of the page)

However this review is a bit more cautious (it's not the USB model though):
http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/koplampen/BM_luxos/index_en.html

The two reviews prove it's important to see these things for real.

The Peter White images are very impressive.  It seems perfect for the sort of pitch-black, crumbling, country lanes I ride on (where tight corners are a bit of a black-hole gamble).  However I take the point that the human eye reacts differently to light intensity than a camera.

The thing I liked about the Solidlights was the superb "bubble of light" you were riding in, from hedgerow to hedgerow on either side. Peter White's images seem to imply the Luxus will give the same experience, with the benefit of a cut-off for oncoming drivers.

The USB charging version seems to make it a no-brainer for tourists.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #96 on: 06 February, 2013, 09:43:17 am »
 :hand:   >:(

Last year I spent good money on the previous version of this lamp.  I was hoping you'd all conclude the new version was rubbish and therefore I'd be perfectly happy with the old version.  That doesn't look likely.  Have you no respect for my fiscal integrity?

LEE

« Reply #97 on: 06 February, 2013, 10:00:03 am »
:hand:   >:(

Last year I spent good money on the previous version of this lamp.  I was hoping you'd all conclude the new version was rubbish and therefore I'd be perfectly happy with the old version.  That doesn't look likely.  Have you no respect for my fiscal integrity?

There are a few of us, all perfectly happy with our CYOs, wishing we hadn't seen this LUXOS beam pattern.

Really, it seems to solve some of the issues of descending steep, twisty, Dorset lanes at night.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #98 on: 06 February, 2013, 10:39:16 am »
I could move my current light onto another of my bikes and then get the Luxos for my Ribble.  But that means getting the front wheel of the other bike rebuilt with a dyno-hub which is yet more money!  It's just not fair.

Andrew

« Reply #99 on: 06 February, 2013, 12:23:40 pm »
I know what you mean OD.

I've already 'handed down' my previous headlight to another bike.  If I buy another headlight, I'm going to need another bike to make the hand down chain longer!