3 (5.1%)
No, I use a turbo at home
1 (1.7%)
Yes, but I don't like it
10 (16.9%)
Other - please specify
9 (15.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Are you a member of a gym?  (Read 9793 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: Are you a member of a gym?
« Reply #25 on: 09 May, 2008, 06:05:53 am »
Been a member of Fitness First for about 6 years now, £50 a month, only been twice lol. I cancelled earlier this year when I realised that no matter how determined I was to go, I never did.

Fook me thats £3600!
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #26 on: 09 May, 2008, 07:54:42 am »
I've been a member of the local council non-profit gym for a couple of years and used to go once or twice a week to do fixed weights, thinking I'd get all the cycle-type training I needed by road riding.

Then I read this thread - http://www.cyclingforums.com/t-314849-15-1.html

It completely revolutionised my training.  I now go two or three times a week and, along with the fixed weights, I now do a 1-hour session on the upright cycle trainer (with the really uncomfortable bucket saddles!), but they measure wattage output.  So I do intervals, 2 x 20 minutes, 5 x 1 minute, etc at various wattage outputs relating to my current ability.

It works.  I'm 10 weeks into this and my speed and stamina have both increased significantly.  I can now go up hills at a far faster pace than before and my average speed for long rides is up.

OK, it may be boring, and it certainly is hard work, but it's focused and short in length, and warm and dry in the winter, and for me it's been a revelation to get improvement in such a short period of time, and I don't expect these improvements to slow down any time soon - I'm hoping to be up to cat. 3/4 standard racing next year, and that's coming from someone who couldn't keep up on 17 mph club runs last year.

It depends what you want from cycling, but if you want to improve from your current base level fitness fairly quickly I can definitely recommend giving it a go.
The sound of one pannier flapping

gonzo

« Reply #27 on: 13 May, 2008, 09:16:08 am »
I'm a member of a gym and used it 2-3 times a week for several months, but then didn't do any training for several months, so I've no idea if it helped!

Anyhow, it only costs £5 a year, so it's not a huge loss even if I never use it!

cometworm

« Reply #28 on: 13 May, 2008, 06:54:42 pm »

Am member of a subsidized gym at work, but if/when I leave this job I will probably join an external gym. I try to balance the exercise I do, I guess so that I can keep doing lots of different things reasonably well. Cycling / rock climbing / skiing / ice climbing / alpine climbing all require slightly different things, so it's easiest to do some weights once or twice a week to keep everything balanced.

Gyms are also good for your cycling, especially if you work core strength and some upper body to balance the giiinoooormous legs we all have :-)

« Reply #29 on: 13 May, 2008, 07:29:59 pm »
I've been a member of gyms in the past, and it was good for the access to the resistance gym kit (or whatever it's called).  Likewise hot tubs, sauna rooms, pool etc, but it was quite expensive.  I could join the College's sports centre, and it would only cost me £18 a month, which is something like one quarter what a random bod off of the street would have to pay for membership.  On the other hand, I spend around an hour each way cycling on my commute, so the last thing I would want to do is more exercise before I do that!

Cycling is my main exercise these days, but I do have a bench and some weights, if I ever get my act together and organise a schedule for myself, in a vain attempt to improve my upper body strength (don't hold your breath!)
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #30 on: 13 May, 2008, 07:43:59 pm »
I never enjoyed working out in gyms, and got much more out of just going for a run / row / ride.  The other dullness for me was the lack of competition - training for a race or audax helped me with motivation.

it was nice to use the sauna and pool though, and if there was one a bit closer with PAYG membership, I might be tempted.

the best one I used to visit was attached to a golf club near cambridge (bourn, for those that know it).  I think I only ever saw about 4 people in there, it was like having a private gym :) )

« Reply #31 on: 13 May, 2008, 07:59:32 pm »
Before I was made redundant in 2002, I had the use of a free gym at work, and I used to use it about 3 times a week, particularly in the winter months.  I used to quite enjoy exercising in the gym - it was never too crowded and I could have a good session using the exercise bikes, treadmill, step machine and rowing machine. 

Now I'm not a member of any gym, though I do have my own Concept 2 Rower at home in my garage.  I use that quite a lot in the winter.  I also have a turbo trainer, but I absolutely detest using it.  At least the rower blows cold air over me while I exercise.

Andrew

LindaG

« Reply #32 on: 15 May, 2008, 10:45:21 am »
I like going to the gym when the weather's really bad in the winter.  Spinning is fun, and working so hard you can't stay upright and you're about to pass out, is not necessarily a good idea on HMHighway.

Also I like to do upper body strengthening exercises.  But I only do them in the winter 'cos in the summer I'm always out playing on the bike ...

« Reply #33 on: 15 May, 2008, 10:48:48 am »
I like to have variety.  I swim, dance, hillwalk and, er, oh yes, I cycle  :)

I find gyms claustrophobic and monotonous.

Really Ancien

« Reply #34 on: 15 May, 2008, 10:54:42 am »
I am a member of the local leisure centre gym, I actually go to the circuit training 3 times a week, mainly for the stretching, the type of work I do is assymetric and I find I need to concentrate on retaining a full range of movement. Cycling is a very poor form of exercise for suppleness.

Damon.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #35 on: 15 May, 2008, 11:07:51 am »
Used to belong to David Lloyd for a while, but over time the annoyances became too great.  Where do I start?  I suppose the first thing was having to put up with selfish and inconsiderate tossers and the lack of policing thereof.

If I go to a gym I want to get in there train and get off home sharpish, I've never bought into the whole lifestyle thing.

I often found that I couldn't use a particular piece of equipment because it had been taken over by a group of two or three posers.  Each one would do one set of say ten reps have a pose and a chat for a couple of minutes then eventually let his mate do a set, repeat ad nauseam.

Another time I was using the cross trainer and I was trapped between to middle aged women one on either side having a shouted and inane conversation across me. Great.

The other thing that really got on my goat was people going buck naked in the jacuzzi or sauna, which despite being against the rules was never policed.  There's nothing finer than sitting down in the jacuzzi and having someone's sweaty meat and two veg dangling inches from your face as they go past.

As for the running of the place I wasn't impressed.  Despite charging a small fortune each month they were crap at repairs and maintenance.  If something was broken it would remain so for weeks or even months on end.

When I can be arsed I now do a bit of weight training at home with my grown up sons.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #36 on: 15 May, 2008, 11:12:01 am »
I am a member of the local leisure centre gym, I actually go to the circuit training 3 times a week, mainly for the stretching, the type of work I do is assymetric and I find I need to concentrate on retaining a full range of movement. Cycling is a very poor form of exercise for suppleness.

Damon.

Me too, but only once a week. The classes give a good range of exercises to get core strength and overall flexibility.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #37 on: 17 June, 2008, 04:01:09 pm »
Not a member as such but use my local council leisure centre twice  a week for my rehab. and regaining my fitness after my surgery. I enjoy it from a social POV, met a few nice people there with whom I have a chat and it's making me feel more a part of the community. Sadly it's closing week after next to be demolished, rebuilt and reopened in 2010.

« Reply #38 on: 20 June, 2008, 04:22:05 pm »
Not a lover of gyms at all...hmm no wonder I have curves  :-* I do love swimming though just trying to find a pool I like is prooving difficult. Used to swim 4 or 5 times a week so wanting to get back to that level of fitness. Cycling bug as me really and love being out. Also have a cross trainer at home but its hiding under the stairs. Other than that id rather take my collie for a long walk than go to an overcrowded gym.