Author Topic: Transporting a trike abroad  (Read 1670 times)

Transporting a trike abroad
« on: 30 July, 2019, 07:41:37 am »
Any advice re transporting a folding trike please?

My friends are planning a European tour on their DF bikes and naturally I’d like to go too but haven’t found an easy way of getting a 30kg Ice Sprint trike plus luggage to Southern Europe so far, can you point me at where to look or confirm my fears that it’s not practical please?

My friends have options to hire DF bikes out there, use the trains, use European Bike Express or fly their bikes out there. I can’t use a DF with my arthritis, so need to look for recumbent solutions.

EBE only seem to cater for uprights, I’ve never heard of hiring trikes abroad, trikes don’t seem to be accepted on trains anywhere and I’m not sure of the logistics of flying a heavy trike overseas, particularly as I don’t have a large enough rigid case to pack the trike into.

So, cutting to the chase: has anyone done it and found a cost effective, quick, foolproof way of getting to Southern France, Switzerland, Northern Italy sort of area where my friends are looking to go? I’ve used the Hull ferry to Northern Europe, but can’t see a quick cheap way of getting the rest of the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Transporting a trike abroad
« Reply #1 on: 30 July, 2019, 08:57:56 pm »
I haven’t checked recently, but EBE used to take recumbent trikes. We have taken two Hase Kettwiesels and an Ice trike on one return trip with them. (A few years ago mind)
Always worth asking!

« Reply #2 on: 30 July, 2019, 09:13:55 pm »
Don't rule out EBE. Their website states that the trailer can accommodate a range of bikes, see below. Suggest that you discuss your requirements with them and book as early as possible to reserve the required space.

This space also enables us to safely accommodate any type of bike, be that a solo, tandem, trike (on request and subject to dimensions) recumbent, recumbent tandem, tandem trikes (on request and subject to dimensions) or other oddbikes and we even cater for bike trailers too. Yes, these all can be safely loaded fully assembled as well however, we do ask that if your bike is an oddbike (anything other than a tandem or solo) that you contact the office prior to your booking so that we can make specific arrangements for your bike.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #3 on: 30 July, 2019, 09:15:41 pm »
Check the weight limits on airlines' bike policies as a lot of them go up above 30 kg, at least if accompanying a passenger with not the very cheapest type of ticket.

« Reply #4 on: 30 July, 2019, 10:28:53 pm »
Is it "folding" enough to put in a box and ship as a parcel with a normal courier? I've heard of people doing this with DF bikes to avoid schlepping them to the airport (and apparently it can be cheaper).

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5 on: 31 July, 2019, 11:34:05 am »
It'll only be cheaper until we leave the customs union.  I looked at shipping my TT bike out to meet me for an event in America last year and it would have been about as expensive as offering a friend a free air ticket to fly out with the bike as luggage.