Author Topic: Tales from the Lock-Down  (Read 78683 times)

Re: Tales from the Lock-Down
« Reply #150 on: 02 April, 2020, 12:17:47 pm »
My Garmin's "helpful" insights tell me I usually do more steps on a Thursday. Too bad it doesn't have special lockdown mode!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #151 on: 02 April, 2020, 12:36:23 pm »
I bet people all over the world are saying "oh fuck off, Garmin"
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #152 on: 02 April, 2020, 12:41:41 pm »
several times a day, to the strident little bastard
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #153 on: 02 April, 2020, 01:19:26 pm »
I feel I should probably revise my 10,000 steps a day target for the time being...

« Reply #154 on: 02 April, 2020, 02:30:43 pm »
I find the adaptive steps goal mode (checks manual) "Auto Goal" is better.

If you achieve the daily goal it ups it for the next day.
If you fail to meet the goal is drops it for the next day (but by less than a successful day raises it).

Mine hovers around ~9,000 as I rarely make 9,000 steps each day. One of the days that was worst for it was a day I usually did a 45 minute spin class and then an hour long swim, so I'm hardly being idle. It's getting a bit better during the lockdown as I'm limited to walking/running at the moment (cycling would mean ignoring my family and going out solo).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #155 on: 02 April, 2020, 05:39:38 pm »
Today’s Guardian is a little strange. The last 2 pages are from yesterday’s paper.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #156 on: 02 April, 2020, 07:27:49 pm »
Working from Home, I got bored during an interminable Teams video conference and started doodling like I did at school.
I've done 3 doodles so far, all themed on iconic images from Silly Long Bike Rides.

Sadly, I can't find my Rotring Isograph pens of old ( they are not where I thought they were, and even if they were, the ink would be solid ).
So I'm just using a random gloopy gell pen, which does not suit detail.

I don't have a scanner, so these are camera-phone pics crudely dropped to B+W (2-colour). They are JPEGs, and do not preserve the clean-ness of the lines. Zoomed in, they have fuzzy virus-like quality and they merge together into a blur which is not present in the originals. So shit scans, basically.

Kylesku Bridge, from the North Coast 600:

Kylesku Bridge by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Corran Ferry, from the Twilight 600:

Corran Ferry by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Barmouth Bridge, from the BCM 600:

Barmouth Bridge by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #157 on: 02 April, 2020, 07:30:06 pm »
They're rather good.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #158 on: 02 April, 2020, 09:02:01 pm »
They’re brilliant, no complaints about the quality

ian

« Reply #159 on: 02 April, 2020, 09:15:44 pm »
Local micropub landlord is offering to bring the beer to us. He's going to drive around with his Landrover full of beer, I guess. You send him a message, he appears outside your door bearing two or four pints of your selected tipple.

I will only be doing this to support local businesses.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #160 on: 02 April, 2020, 09:33:34 pm »
Local micropub landlord is offering to bring the beer to us. He's going to drive around with his Landrover full of beer, I guess. You send him a message, he appears outside your door bearing two or four pints of your selected tipple.

There are 3 near to me that have started to do that. I'm supposed to be on a diet at the moment so I've avoided taking them up on it. My willpower may not last long though.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #161 on: 02 April, 2020, 09:38:55 pm »

There are 3 near to me that have started to do that. I'm supposed to be on a diet at the moment so I've avoided taking them up on it. My willpower may not last long though.
I'm trying to organise a piss up from brewery in the Forest of Dean, by getting them  to deliver BEER to one of my grate frends on the occassion of his 60th birthday. However this proving somewhat tricky, what with them not returning phone calls.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #162 on: 02 April, 2020, 09:52:03 pm »
Hmm.  We’ve been self isolating for 2 weeks, the only exceptions being my 2 shopping trips, which were both last Friday morning. We’ve now both got a cold.  ::-)  No fever, no breathlessness, no coughs, just bunged up. And neither of us has a history of hay fever, not that there’s much blossom about anyway.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #163 on: 03 April, 2020, 12:32:42 am »
As a chronic sufferer, I can report that the hayfever is getting going, as of last week.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #164 on: 03 April, 2020, 06:55:34 am »
Working from Home, I got bored during an interminable Teams video conference and started doodling like I did at school.
I've done 3 doodles so far, all themed on iconic images from Silly Long Bike Rides.

<snip>

I'm no artist, but I think that's rather good! (I'll leave the other 2, sorry ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #165 on: 03 April, 2020, 08:18:23 am »
I ordered a marquetry kit from a shop in Devon on eBay on Wednesday, arrived yesterday morning (Thursday).
It came with a handy practice kit - just as well, because it's a skill I'm going to need a lot of practice to become even a little bit good at.
It's something I've wanted to have a go at for a long time.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #166 on: 03 April, 2020, 09:43:53 am »
Very quiet on my morning run. I was bit earlier than I have been, getting out of the house at about 8.15. I saw two dog walkers and one neighbour putting some rubbish into her bin. No other runners, no cyclists.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

ian

« Reply #167 on: 03 April, 2020, 10:37:24 am »

<snip>

I'm no artist, but I think that's rather good! (I'll leave the other 2, sorry ... )

It appears to be missing a rampaging kaiju. They always go for the landmarks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #168 on: 03 April, 2020, 10:45:57 am »
I've added another item to the Lock-Down list.

Resurrect the darkroom kit*, get some chemicals and take a 35mm film to be developed and printed...

*41 years ago, last used.
It is simpler than it looks.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #169 on: 03 April, 2020, 10:56:02 am »
Mr R has agreed I can buy an exercise bike...

...but everywhere is sold out - even the high price spin bikes are out of stock (unless you pay silly Peleton money).   I think I've managed to get the one of the last Decathlon one's available - not my first choice but beggars can't be choosers.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

ian

« Reply #170 on: 03 April, 2020, 11:01:54 am »
Mr R has agreed I can buy an exercise bike...

...but everywhere is sold out - even the high price spin bikes are out of stock (unless you pay silly Peleton money).   I think I've managed to get the one of the last Decathlon one's available - not my first choice but beggars can't be choosers.

My wife ordered one that was £1399 (zoinks!)

Fortunately, the manufacturer decided a day later that it was out of stock.

The only other one that was a available was fortunately a more modest £350.

ian

« Reply #171 on: 03 April, 2020, 05:36:19 pm »

Hmm, it seems we have six pints booked for 7 pm.

I've just realised that I've not left the house since last Sunday (other than to wander around the garden). I think we'll go take a walk tomorrow.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #172 on: 03 April, 2020, 05:41:38 pm »
I've added another item to the Lock-Down list.

Resurrect the darkroom kit*, get some chemicals and take a 35mm film to be developed and printed...

*41 years ago, last used.

Ooh, that's an idea. Amongst the piles and piles of photo tqt that my Dad left me is a knock down enlarger that all fits into a small metal suitcase.  I've got some of the prints he did with it hanging round my flat.  The only time I've done wet photo developing was too many years ago at University, developing and printing electron micrographs. What could possibly go wrong?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #173 on: 03 April, 2020, 05:43:17 pm »

Hmm, it seems we have six pints booked for 7 pm.

I've just realised that I've not left the house since last Sunday (other than to wander around the garden). I think we'll go take a walk tomorrow.

My bold.

Think you'll manage both ian ?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #174 on: 03 April, 2020, 05:51:43 pm »
I've added another item to the Lock-Down list...

I've decided to finally get around to using this...

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."