Author Topic: Dry January 2023  (Read 10268 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Dry January 2023
« Reply #25 on: 08 January, 2023, 11:30:58 pm »
Yup. 3 more birthdays to go...
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #26 on: 09 January, 2023, 08:14:38 am »
We're still in. Mr Smith is still ill and now I'm getting it...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #27 on: 09 January, 2023, 09:30:20 am »
Still here.  As last year, somewhat miffed that I don't feel any better in the mornings.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #28 on: 09 January, 2023, 10:58:39 am »
I'm not explicitly doing Dry Jan but with my daughters wedding on 21st Jan I've been dry since 1 January. 

Better sleep i.e. waking earlier & alert - have lost a bit weight too, should stand me in good stead for cycling.  Not missing the beer at all perhaps surprisingly.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #29 on: 09 January, 2023, 11:09:56 am »
Yup. 3 more birthdays to go...
I've got my own on 30th. But I've done the previous two dry, and it's on a Monday this year anyway, so not much of a loss.

But events are tricky. A friend wants to watch A Sunday In Hell with me (plus beers and snacks), so I've made the date in Feb, so I can give in if I decide to.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

John Stonebridge

« Reply #30 on: 09 January, 2023, 11:18:46 am »
I work for a bottling company- we pack wines and spirits. 'Dry January' is not a phrase that's permitted in the workplace and now I have a supplier dinner next week. Wondering how I can get out of drinking- this is beyond the usual peer-pressure, it's work-boss-pressure.

Last time I just said nothing and had a glass of wine. I don't really want to, this time.

Any hints/tips/suggestions?

Might be too late but my experience is that any self consciousness on my part when not drinking tends to be overblown - people who are drinking often don't notice others that aren't (not after their second drink anyway). 

On occasions when I don't want attract attention I tend to have a drink that looks like it might be alcohol (my "go to" is alcohol free beer but a straight tonic water etc would also do). 

Turning up a bit later to social events featuring alcohol is also helpful, my experience is that there's less pressure in a bigger group (and as above others will be on their 2nd or subsequent drink). 

Paul

« Reply #31 on: 09 January, 2023, 11:22:36 am »
I work for a bottling company- we pack wines and spirits. 'Dry January' is not a phrase that's permitted in the workplace and now I have a supplier dinner next week. Wondering how I can get out of drinking- this is beyond the usual peer-pressure, it's work-boss-pressure.

Last time I just said nothing and had a glass of wine. I don't really want to, this time.

I found this: https://www.succeedsocially.com/avoiddrinking

Paul

« Reply #32 on: 09 January, 2023, 11:23:58 am »
Which might get you out of the work do?

« Reply #33 on: 09 January, 2023, 11:30:31 am »

Might be too late but my experience is that any self consciousness on my part when not drinking tends to be overblown - people who are drinking often don't notice others that aren't (not after their second drink anyway). 

On occasions I don't want attract attention I tend to have a drink that looks like it might be alcohol (my "go to" is alcohol free beer but a straight tonic water etc would also do). 

Turning up a bit later to social events featuring alcohol is also helpful, my experience is that there's less pressure in a bigger group (and a above others will be on the 2nd or subsequent drink).
We (as a company) are in the drinks business. There's always pressure to test the product. We had a glass of wine at 10am the other week to seal a deal. What's in your glass is never ignored.

« Reply #34 on: 09 January, 2023, 11:33:08 am »
Which might get you out of the work do?

Maybe. Depends how bad it gets.
It's a double edged sword, really. If I don't go I do miss out on work discussions where I could make a material difference, and have to live with the crappy agreements the others have arranged in my absence.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #35 on: 09 January, 2023, 11:55:07 am »

I found this: https://www.succeedsocially.com/avoiddrinking

I've never found this to be particularly true:

Develop a tolerance for drunk people
Drunk people are boring and irritating if you're sober. But that's sort of missing the point, since they're not meant to be fun for sober people to be with. You're supposed to be buzzed right along with them. Then they're fine (more or less). If you don't want to drink, you've got to be really good-humored about having your mentally-regressed, careless, giggly friends around. Don't take their behavior personally. They're just being drunk, not purposely trying to get under your skin, although it can sure feel that way.

Alcohol is a filter remover
You soon learn
who's an arsehole and who's alright.
And a divers other things

And which of them you are...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #36 on: 09 January, 2023, 02:49:04 pm »
I'm Dry Januarying.... Mr R was supposed to be as well but he had a couple of beers at lunch with his family over the weekend. 

I've got two work dos this month - both of which will be boozy.  Mr R did say I could have a day pass but I'm going to stick to it.  I shall just drink the most expensive mocktails the restaurant has... or take some Adnams Smidgin with me.  It effectively becomes alcohol free (actually 0.6%ABV when mixed as per the instructions - and I tend to add more tonic than indicated).
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

John Stonebridge

« Reply #37 on: 09 January, 2023, 02:59:17 pm »

On occasions I don't want attract attention I tend to have a drink that looks like it might be alcohol (my "go to" is alcohol free beer but a straight tonic water etc would also do). 

Turning up a bit later to social events featuring alcohol is also helpful, my experience is that there's less pressure in a bigger group (and a above others will be on the 2nd or subsequent drink).
We (as a company) are in the drinks business. There's always pressure to test the product. We had a glass of wine at 10am the other week to seal a deal. What's in your glass is never ignored.

I feel your pain

I used to work at Diageo

My in extremis move was to take a glass of whatever (typically whisky for Diageo) and just put it to my lips.  If pressed Id claim I had heartburn or suchlike and didn't really fancy it. 

Id somethimes drive to work events too in order to abstain.

However in the end I left.  Id have been dead now otherwise, no matter their PR fluff about responsible drinking it had a massive drinking culture 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #38 on: 09 January, 2023, 04:42:02 pm »
ICBA this year. We were still celebrating on Saturday (lunch for bro, sis and sis-in-law) and there's beer and wine left over. At some point I will stop eating cheese and I won't buy any booze for a bit.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Paul

« Reply #39 on: 09 January, 2023, 04:49:40 pm »
At some point I will stop eating cheese...
Steady on!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #40 on: 09 January, 2023, 04:51:19 pm »
Stopping eating cheese without going vegan is surprizingly difficult

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #41 on: 09 January, 2023, 04:55:14 pm »
Steady on!

It's all relative. Perhaps I should have added "extra cheese that arrived because of Christmas", some of which was given to me to "finish off" by My Dear Friend Penelope, whose son has just gone back to Finland after visiting his ma for 3 weeks, and leaving lots of food that she probably wouldn't eat. I was about to leave her place yesterday when she remembered that she had some mozzarella, still sealed in its packet. Given that the sell-by date was 29/12/22 and it was a bag of fluid with no discernible solids, we took the executive decision that it was too far gone.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Paul

« Reply #42 on: 09 January, 2023, 05:00:31 pm »
Steady on!

It's all relative. Perhaps I should have added "extra cheese that arrived because of Christmas", some of which was given to me to "finish off" by My Dear Friend Penelope, whose son has just gone back to Finland after visiting his ma for 3 weeks, and leaving lots of food that she probably wouldn't eat. I was about to leave her place yesterday when she remembered that she had some mozzarella, still sealed in its packet. Given that the sell-by date was 29/12/22 and it was a bag of fluid with no discernible solids, we took the executive decision that it was too far gone.
I've still got some stilton, but I usually do. However, I seem to have ended up with the wensleydale and cranberries that I got for my mum, which isn't my cup of tea at all.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #43 on: 09 January, 2023, 06:03:43 pm »
I'm dry.
D's astronomical society has an Annual Dinner on 30 January, which I hope to attend.
Unsure as to what I'll drink; probably nothing containing alcohol, caffeine or excess water as toilet access is awkward and I'll want to minimise visits.

Paul

« Reply #44 on: 11 January, 2023, 01:19:25 pm »
10 days done, so as near as damn 1/3 done.

I'm still recovering from suspected flu, so I'm not getting the full benefits. But it's always a surprise how much more time I seem to have in the evening when I'm not drinking. I've been cracking on with an X wing fighter model that I've had for a year, but only opened this year.

The Try Dry app tells me that I've saved £67 and 4395 calories so far. I'm not sure about the calories, but I think the £67 is an over-estimation. I suspect they have an average which takes account of places where booze is more expensive. But I might well have saved £40+ so far.

I'm not struggling as much as I thought I would, though if I'd had wine in the house on Friday I think I would have cracked. I've eliminated my susceptibilities by having nothing in the house and not going to any pubs. I've got some 0% San Miguel and Gordons alcohol free + tonic, but I've only had one of those substitute drinks since 1 January.

How's everyone else doing?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #45 on: 11 January, 2023, 01:58:10 pm »
I had a beer(s) on 1 Jan but have been dry since then and intend to see it through - well, until the 31st, which is when a colleague has arranged a team social. Might not be a full month but it'll be by far my longest period off booze for ages, assuming I make it. By then, it will probably take no more than half a shandy to get me legless.

Not really missing it so far, tbh. There are potentially a couple of social occasions coming up that I might have to swerve though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #46 on: 11 January, 2023, 02:18:33 pm »
Not finding it difficult at all.  A couple of visits to the pub have been OK. 
I have to go to the pub for sourdough collection and various other things during the week,  and because I'm not on FaceAche, to find out anything at all about local issues.

I've stopped drinking alcohol free guinness and gin as they were just telling me that I was 'Not Drinking', whereas without them I don't think about it.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #47 on: 11 January, 2023, 04:30:55 pm »
almost succumbed just now making a venison bourguignon. Instead I just put the whole half bottle in.

« Reply #48 on: 11 January, 2023, 04:42:01 pm »
Tomorrow is the night out.

I'm coughing today  :thumbsup:

::-)

Paul

« Reply #49 on: 11 January, 2023, 05:16:41 pm »
Not finding it difficult at all.  A couple of visits to the pub have been OK. 
Are they supportive of your dryness?