Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 353177 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #2225 on: 12 August, 2021, 01:56:17 pm »
I did a range during alst christmas (a range of the Belgian airforce). I guessed that they won't be active during christmas ;).

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2226 on: 13 August, 2021, 10:37:13 pm »

The eastward expansion of my square has been limited by one tile in the Gooimeer. There's no land on the tile, so it requires a water approach. There's no nearby kayak hire places. Meaning, my best option is swimming. I had planned to get an early bus one day, then do the swim, and get a bus home. But I chickened out of soloing it. And asked a friend who likes to SUP, if he fancied keeping me company.

Tonight, we headed over that way, him with a SUP. Me with my swimsuit.

To make sure I was in the tile, I made a note of coordinates of a point 100m in from the corner...

There was a Bouy just a bit further into the tile that made a useful target to aim for.

It turns out the Gooimeer is not as deep as I feared, and for quite a bit of it I was able to walk along the bottom.

Tile bagged. We decided to make the most of a nice evening, and head for a nearby Island.

There was some boat traffic, including a jetski that was doing stunts and making a lot of noise. My friend went up to him via SUP, and told them what we were doing, and he went off to play elsewhere.

The sunset was stunning/

Total distance was 2km. I have very sore arms now.

But I can expand east now.

11212 tiles
Max square 27x27
Max Cluster: 1810

I expect tomorrow to involve DOMS. A lot of DOMS...

J

--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2227 on: 13 August, 2021, 10:50:18 pm »
Meanwhile I did battle with some atrocious headwind, zapped myself on an electric fence and accidentally rounded up some sheep, in order to fill in The Rugby Triangle[1].  This means ...very little, in the scheme of things.  Mostly that I won't need to cycle through Coventry for a while.

[1] Roughly the area between Coventry, Warwick and Rugby.  Any mysterious disappearances are likely to be the result of HS2.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2228 on: 14 August, 2021, 12:08:38 am »
...I won't need to cycle through Coventry for a while...

Accentuate the positive.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #2229 on: 14 August, 2021, 07:14:02 am »
Unexpectedly had to explain my tiling habit to my boss this week. Although he was impressed with my coverage :)
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2230 on: 14 August, 2021, 09:16:49 am »

My everything hurts...

J
--

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2231 on: 14 August, 2021, 11:31:52 am »

My everything hurts...

J

Worth it though, eh?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2232 on: 14 August, 2021, 12:29:56 pm »
--

« Reply #2233 on: 14 August, 2021, 12:32:21 pm »
Worth it though, eh?

Fuck yeah...

J
Great story of a tile truly bagged. Nice one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2234 on: 14 August, 2021, 08:56:57 pm »
A walk to Lunan Bay today nudged me closer to the 2k cluster. Max cluster now at 1990.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2235 on: 14 August, 2021, 10:29:54 pm »
...I won't need to cycle through Coventry for a while...

Accentuate the positive.

Looks like the Binley Mega Chippy[1] might have closed down?

[1] Mind you, I'm just assuming it's bad on the basis of the name.

« Reply #2236 on: 15 August, 2021, 01:29:22 pm »
Started doing this a couple of months ago. I thought I had ridden most of the local roads, but found that my initial square was only 11 and cluster ~400. There seemed to be an annoying large number of tiles which were accessible only by muddy tracks, main roads or the grottier bits of Gloucester. Anyway, by dint of cross bike and infilling I have now worked the square up to 20 and the cluster to ~750, which is at least respectable. I suspect the square isn't going to go much above 25: beyond that I would either have to become aquatic or venture into Swindon, neither of which have much appeal.

« Reply #2237 on: 17 August, 2021, 11:06:56 am »
I ECE'd last weekend's 'No work for us today 200' into a 600 by riding to Kirkby Stephen and back, the day before.

This increased my tiles by 24, to 10618
My Max Square is still 18x18, and Max Cluster still 837

@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #2238 on: 17 August, 2021, 12:52:18 pm »
600km is a long way to ride for 24 tiles.

I hit my target over the weekend : 20043 tiles.

I'm working on a coast to coast link.
Hexham to Haltwhistle is brutal.

« Reply #2239 on: 17 August, 2021, 01:17:54 pm »
600km is a long way to ride for 24 tiles.

Very true
I fancied a change from the usual Yad Moss or Shap routes south, so the tiles were picked up on the 40k between Penrith and Kirkby Stephen.  Coincidental really.
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #2240 on: 17 August, 2021, 02:56:43 pm »
Hexham to Haltwhistle is brutal.

Was down that way last week.  If I was aiming for C2C there, I think I would centre my efforts on the B6318 Chollerford to Greenhead and the Hadrian's wall walk? B6318 is hard work with lots of hidden dips and blind summits, cars may be fast, but maybe an early morning run would avoid the worst of the traffic?

Would that work better? Or is walking breaking your personal approach?

« Reply #2241 on: 17 August, 2021, 03:06:54 pm »
I'm happy to walk  ;D

https://www.strava.com/activities/5797570039

It's the bouncing up and down the sides of the valley that will kill me.

« Reply #2242 on: 17 August, 2021, 03:17:05 pm »
I'm happy to walk  ;D

https://www.strava.com/activities/5797570039

It's the bouncing up and down the sides of the valley that will kill me.

I did those tiles on Thursday :-)  Didn't have a bike with me last week so did a number of walks, the only ride was a hire of a 19" hybrid ( I used to have a 25" of the same type) which I used to get round Kielder Water.

My own C2C project probably requires 2-3 more ride days a hill walk and 3 separate paddleboard trips.

citoyen

« Reply #2243 on: 18 August, 2021, 10:42:47 am »
Did another tile-bagging commute this morning - headed south from Bromley via Biggin Hill before heading back northwards through Croydon, Mitcham and Tooting into central London.

Bloody hell, it's lumpy round Biggin Hill, isn't it? Total of about 500m climbing (according to Strava) in 49km, but that mostly came inside the first 15km. My Strava-planned route also took me up a cut-through footpath* where I had no option but to get off and walk - must have been well over 20% gradient. Might have been just about rideable except for the gates every 20m or so, and the loose, gravelly surface in places - trying to get traction would have been interesting.

Discovered some really lovely lanes though. Only slightly spoiled by a few idiot motorists being determined to get past when there wasn't space.

Somewhat less scenic were the stretch on Purley Way heading towards Mitcham, and the road through the Beddington industrial estate... Ugh!

All worthwhile though - added another 20 tiles to my max cluster.

*from Featherbed Lane up to the New Addington housing estate, if that means anything to anyone

« Reply #2244 on: 21 August, 2021, 06:42:47 pm »
A very successful trip down to the Dover area. Picked up two tiles on the coast that I failed to get on a recent walk, plus one I missed on my last visit down this way.   I managed to get 33 tiles today, but annoyingly missed one by a few metres.
Before 

After

And the elusive tile. How annoying is when this happens

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2245 on: 22 August, 2021, 07:34:22 pm »
Collecting a few tiles and roads out on the long island, Cheapabhal and Northton Road today, maraig Road off the Clisham Road yesterday along with the path out to eilean Glas on Scalpay Having bagged the Scalpay and husnis roads the previous day.

Where do people get their  tile/cluster increases from on vv? And will I see it using the phone app?

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

citoyen

« Reply #2246 on: 22 August, 2021, 08:22:16 pm »
A very successful trip down to the Dover area. Picked up two tiles on the coast that I failed to get on a recent walk, plus one I missed on my last visit down this way.   I managed to get 33 tiles today, but annoyingly missed one by a few metres.

Good work! Shame about that one missed tile.

When you come back down this way to fill it in, you also need to do the descent into St Margaret's Bay...

Screenshot 2021-08-22 at 20.14.49 by citoyen, on Flickr

Still need to get that one myself, tbh, along with the one a bit further along the cliffs towards Dover.

Would it be mean of me to point out that you have a false positive down on Rommey Marsh (on the Military Road between Rye and Appledore)? I only noticed it because it's one I've been trying to work out how to get myself so I thought I'd have a look and see how you managed it... I think it's possible to get it by going across the dyke further up, and then along a farm track on the other side, but the road doesn't quite go through it.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2247 on: 22 August, 2021, 09:13:45 pm »

Was in Enschede for a birthday event. Had originally planned to get a train to Apeldoorn, and then cycle the remaining 94km and fill in all the gaps. That didn't happen, so I replanned a shorter route. Then I left my glasses on a train, and had a lot of faff to get them back (Thank you NS!!). So today I decided I'd ride the route in reverse. At least as far as Deventer.

Which I did. Just shy of 80km, on Gravel, sand, epic rain, and a headwind almost the whole way.

Added 47 new tiles. Which grew my cluster by 80 to 1894. I'm not far off my 2021 target to get to 2021 cluster by the end of 2021...

My cluster now reaches from the coast in the West of Noord Holland, all the way to one tile short of the German border. Am tempted to try and reach the Belgian border by the end of the year now...

11270 tiles
Max square 27x27
Max Cluster: 1894

J
--

« Reply #2248 on: 22 August, 2021, 09:21:28 pm »

Good work! Shame about that one missed tile.

When you come back down this way to fill it in, you also need to do the descent into St Margaret's Bay...

Screenshot 2021-08-22 at 20.14.49 by citoyen, on Flickr

Still need to get that one myself, tbh, along with the one a bit further along the cliffs towards Dover.

Would it be mean of me to point out that you have a false positive down on Rommey Marsh (on the Military Road between Rye and Appledore)? I only noticed it because it's one I've been trying to work out how to get myself so I thought I'd have a look and see how you managed it... I think it's possible to get it by going across the dyke further up, and then along a farm track on the other side, but the road doesn't quite go through it.
Thanks. The one on the cliff near South Foreland was nice. Bad planning on my part to miss the beach one at St Margarets though.

I will take a good look at the Appledore one. I've been along that road so many times so hadn't really looked too closely at it.

citoyen

« Reply #2249 on: 23 August, 2021, 09:19:42 am »
Bad planning on my part to miss the beach one at St Margarets though.

I did wonder if it was just an oversight or you balked at the prospect of the climb back up the cliffs.

I will take a good look at the Appledore one. I've been along that road so many times so hadn't really looked too closely at it.

It's an annoying one - only just off the road, but on the wrong side of the dyke so a bit tricky to get to.