Author Topic: Whamageddon 2020  (Read 8501 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Whamageddon 2020
« Reply #75 on: 24 December, 2020, 08:42:11 am »
I’m still in, but as I don’t listen to the radio or Spotify, and German supermarkets don’t play music, I was reasonably confident.
That's so disappointing.  I imagined Germans buying their carp, sauerkraut and currywurst to the soundtrack of David Hasselhoff, or at least a Bavarian oompah band.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #76 on: 24 December, 2020, 10:27:06 am »
I’m still in, but as I don’t listen to the radio or Spotify, and German supermarkets don’t play music, I was reasonably confident.
That's so disappointing.  I imagined Germans buying their carp, sauerkraut and currywurst to the soundtrack of David Hasselhoff, or at least a Bavarian oompah band.

Or Kraftwerk, Neu! and Faust?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #77 on: 24 December, 2020, 12:08:54 pm »
Still in, as my final trip to Mr Sainsbury's Emporium of SARS-CoV-2 had an accompaniment of apocalyptic announcements interspersed with White Christmas.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #78 on: 24 December, 2020, 07:54:09 pm »
Top tip for next year's competition.  Do your shopping at Waitrose.  </smug-git>

How very odd.  Not even heard Noddy's dulcet shrieks this year.  First time in nigh on 50 years.   One for the coronabonus thread perhaps?  Hmmm.  Now,  there's a terrifying thought; half a century or more of Wham at Xmas.  *shudder*
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #79 on: 25 December, 2020, 12:08:35 am »
\o/

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #80 on: 25 December, 2020, 12:46:50 am »
Phew.

Classic FM and Minidisc mix tapes worked, although I also had to survive glenrotten morissons, two works quizzes and gambled regularly on tiktok.

No doubt it'll be blaring out at somepoint tomorrow, although not if I can bloody help it.

Bah Humbug

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #81 on: 25 December, 2020, 11:02:14 am »
Still in - well, I guess the competition's over now for 2020. Living on your own in a Tier 4 area, and not visiting supermarkets, makes it fairly easy to avoid unwanted musical intrusions. Though I did make an effort to trip myself up, as reported above! I've also avoided any of the last three years' output from Ladbaby, which is probably a greater achievement for my sanity. I did manage to stream 'BoJo is a F C' in an effort to help it get to Christmas No 1, though which of the eleventy different versions I got I'm not sure. But I guess they can take solace from probably having had the greatest number of different mixes of a song in the charts at the same time.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #82 on: 25 December, 2020, 05:26:31 pm »
Now at my brothers with absolute Christmas playing on the telly, it's only time...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #83 on: 25 December, 2020, 06:33:56 pm »
[…] Ladbaby […]

I'd dearly love to know who buys that [“unsophisticated lightweight pap” – The Invigilator] so they can be confined to a Special Reëducation Camp come the Revolution.  One where Sunn O))), Wagner and Mongolian throat singing are in heavy rotation over the Tannoy.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #84 on: 25 December, 2020, 09:24:44 pm »
As far as I know I've made it through unscathed. I can't promise I haven't heard it on the radio or an advert but if I have it hasn't impinged on my consciousness.

Which is particularly impressive as my partner loves Wham and everytime I brought it up threatened to play it.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #85 on: 26 December, 2020, 12:13:12 am »
Made it! And this hadn't been done when I passed last week: https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/18965228.wham-south-durham-hamlet-get-name/

« Reply #86 on: 26 December, 2020, 12:08:00 pm »
I had it playing at 9am yesterday, accidentally. I thought that was, as they say, a result.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #87 on: 30 December, 2020, 07:02:04 pm »
Another year of safety for me. Can't remember the last time I was 'got'.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #89 on: 01 January, 2021, 08:13:16 pm »
It's not even a great song.  Wham! and George did far better ones.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.