Author Topic: Cycle glasses for aero bar position?  (Read 4456 times)

Re: Cycle glasses for aero bar position?
« Reply #25 on: 28 February, 2019, 06:11:35 pm »
I got the Optilabs samples. 
They're ok but not perfect - about as good as my current glasses.  They do prevent me seeing out of the very top of my eyes so I have to bend my neck more than if I wasn't wearing them.  I'll look at other options.

« Reply #26 on: 28 February, 2019, 06:14:50 pm »
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HECAIMPA/carnac-impact-air-aero-road-helmet

I actually thought about this, with contact lenses, or at least the eBay equivalents so I don't have to deal with Planet X.

It is what virtually everyone does for TTs but, for some reason, it hasn't caught on elsewhere.  I wonder whether there is a flaw, or if it is just that the look doesn't work.  From the point of view of a long distance event, I would probably want a clear and a tinted visor - transitions ones not being available.

« Reply #27 on: 28 February, 2019, 07:53:44 pm »
I would probably want a clear and a tinted visor - transitions ones not being available.

Presumably you'd need a triathlon helmet for that

« Reply #28 on: 28 February, 2019, 09:56:03 pm »
TT helmet no good on account of lack of ventilation.

Apparently the Giro Attack has the option of both tinted and clear, but it's not very well ventilated either.  So I'll forget that idea!

« Reply #29 on: 01 March, 2019, 09:19:43 pm »
I have the Optilabs Rascal in prescription transitions. They are great for regular riding, and the customer service was really good too (they talked me out of getting the more expensive brown transition lenses), but the top of the frame is in the way a bit when I get really low on the aero bars.  I don't really fancy contacts unless there's no alternative (used to have them, but had issues with my eyes drying out).
I need to visit the opticians anyway, so I'll see what they say and return to this thread...

« Reply #30 on: 30 July, 2022, 01:38:23 pm »
Thread revival.  After trying a few pairs that all had their relative problems (e.g.too tight, legs fouling helmet, not staying in place) I've found some that are perfect - and the cheapest of the bunch to boot - Velochampion Missile.

https://www.velochampion.cc/products/missile-sunglasses

Customisable colours, good visibility, comfortable and lasted well for over a year of constant use.  Just bought a second pair so can have different lenses without having to swap. Spares and replacements are cheap too.   Actually, if you buy the components separately (i.e. frame, lens, nosepiece) it works out at under £30  :thumbsup:
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #31 on: 30 July, 2022, 07:14:03 pm »
very interesting.  Have you tried the prescription inserts.  Looking at them they seem to sit quite high on the lens?

« Reply #32 on: 30 July, 2022, 09:42:00 pm »
very interesting.  Have you tried the prescription inserts.  Looking at them they seem to sit quite high on the lens?

No - just the standard lenses.  So far I have revo red (for sunnier days), revo blue (for cloudy days) and clear for night use.  Cheap at £8 a pop.  Had a lot of use and haven't scratched up like a lot of cheaper lenses do.
The sound of one pannier flapping