Author Topic: Mae Mr Pickwick yn mynd i chwilio am ddreigiau a chwedlau, 21st June 2014  (Read 26499 times)

TOBY

• hello
you do pick your dates Mark!  >:(
There's a perm version also

But you know how I need TLC  :-*
Yes, I do! I've even gone to the trouble of providing not one but TWO sleep controls.

Monsieur with these Rocher . . . how does that work out on the perm? :P

YHA at Betws-y-Coed for those that want luxury, for mortals - keep pedaling.

For a man of your calibre - The lap-dancers bar, Peppermint Lounge, Bala.  (I think we've been here before - so to speak)
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

TOBY

• hello

YHA at Betws-y-Coed for those that want luxury, for mortals - keep pedaling.

For a man of your calibre - The lap-dancers bar, Peppermint Lounge, Bala.  (I think we've been here before - so to speak)

Peppermint Lounge, Sherberts wake up next to a Superhero

Peppermint Lounge, Sherberts wake up next to a Superhero

Not Spiderman by any chance  :hand:
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Not had a good audax year this year so far  :(, with too many work, knee and move induced DNSs, so planning to up my game for next year - this may just be my first 600, as it sounds absolutely stunning...  :D

simonp

Fixed or not, is the question.

Tempted to enter this myself as well, longest audax I've done is a few 200's but have done a 350km ride (non stop). I now the area's pretty well snd they give me the hebe jibby's so why oh why do I have an urge to enter it. Gonna try for my first SR, been doing events for 3 years now and its about time to Man Up.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Not is the answer!  Seen the route?  ;D

simonp

34N∞ot is the answer!   the route?  ;D-=========================================               BBV AQGW3

I see it goes round Wales a bit. It could be risky given my history with hilly routes and fixed giving wrist trouble. But a 65" gear will help with that surely.

4R

-                                      HJLOP45X                                           

(Reply written with the help of the cat).

Are the sleeps Llanrwrst and Aberhafesp?  What's the capacity at Llanrwst?  I certainly won't make it any further than that!  Or have you bagged the hostel at Bettws?

Holy shit 9.5AAA.  What have I done.  Paypal you bastard.

simonp

Pendle 600k is 10.5AAA and is probably harder. I have pretty much ruled out attempting that on fixed.

Are the sleeps Llanrwrst and Aberhafesp?  What's the capacity at Llanrwst?  I certainly won't make it any further than that!  Or have you bagged the hostel at Bettws?
Llanrwst will be a private bunk-barn, from memory the capacity's a bit bigger than Kings, Aberhafesp is the other sleep stop, if you get there, a washing-line would surfice for all but the most picky.

Holy shit 9.5AAA.
I believe one of the sheets on the route file has the climb per section. I seem to recall that the first two stages, and the last are fairly flat. And the bit from Barmouth to almost Llanrwst isn't too bad.

What have I done.
y peth iawn

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
Tempted to enter this myself as well, longest audax I've done is a few 200's but have done a 350km ride (non stop). I now the area's pretty well snd they give me the hebe jibby's so why oh why do I have an urge to enter it. Gonna try for my first SR, been doing events for 3 years now and its about time to Man Up.

Well, now you've said it, you've got to do it!  ;D
Hope to see you there.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
My first 300 was similar in climbing rate - it was probably the silliest 300 to try as my first.  I did it but it half killed me - this is twice the distance and twice the climb.  You might want to think on that - there are much easier 600s on the calendar.
Thinking about the climbing figure my feelings on this are getting less strong.  I'm not good on the big grimpeurs although I'm still tempted.  Probably just go for the BCM myself I suspect, not that much less climbing but much gentler from what I can gather*

*My view may change  ;)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Hillbilly

AAA is not a reliable guide to how hard a ride will be. 

In my experience/opinion, the hardest ones (at least in terms of how your body feels at the end and/or how much time it will take) are also dependent on road type (lanes v main roads, smooth vs rough etc) and how choppy the terrain is.  Welsh rides tend to feel easier than numerically similar AAA rides elsewhere in the UK as a consequence (Scotland has a similar feel).

I'm viewing this ride as broadly equivalent in difficulty to the K&SW, for example.

God, it's proving hard resisting the temptation to enter this  :-[

Are there bits of this that would not be recommended during the day because of traffic.  (Parallel example - in the Kirkby Lonsdale/Ingleton area I will ride along the A65 in the middle of the night, but not in the day because of getting 'squeezed' by HGVs thundering along).

I was considering it as a perm, as I will not be able to do the actual event.  If there are sections that would be best ridden in the wee small hours, that would affect my start place/time.  Tewkesbury is a possibility, but Betws is the other main option in terms of free accomodation.  I was thinking of end of Oct and because it can be 'orrible then, would only do it on a good forecast.

Have not sent off for a card, so have not got a routesheet - just looked at the control points so far.

Chris N

The route gpx is available on the AUK site.  I don't think there are any bits that you should avoid if you ride from a different start point/time - there's a bit of the A40 and a short section on the A5 but they're both fine IME.

I'm viewing this ride as broadly equivalent in difficulty to the K&SW, for example.

I've not ridden the Kernow and South West, but as a comparison I'd say it looks a little harder than the Bryan Chapman Scenic.  More minor roads, more little climbs.

caerau

AAA is not a reliable guide to how hard a ride will be. 

In my experience/opinion, the hardest ones (at least in terms of how your body feels at the end and/or how much time it will take) are also dependent on road type (lanes v main roads, smooth vs rough etc) and how choppy the terrain is.  Welsh rides tend to feel easier than numerically similar AAA rides elsewhere in the UK as a consequence (Scotland has a similar feel).

God, it's proving hard resisting the temptation to enter this  :-[

Oh absolutely, it is for that reason I'm choosing BCM over the K&SW. I found the choppy sections of the National400 this year very tough and that had zero AAA. Just trying to put a note of caution in for our first timer. :) Many people seem to go gung-ho straight into the toughest rides though and complete, so why not too of course  ;D

Hillbilly

The worst traffic in Wales is of the sheep variety.  I've had closer shaves with those fleecy f**kers than with other road users.

In my experience, road traffic volumes are much lighter than the Lake District.  At least away from the southern cities.  I'd not be overly worried about avoiding roads the org suggests on the routesheet.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion

[/quote]

Oh absolutely, it is for that reason I'm choosing BCM over the K&SW. I found the choppy sections of the National400 this year very tough and that had zero AAA. Just trying to put a note of caution in for our first timer. :) Many people seem to go gung-ho straight into the toughest rides though and complete, so why not too of course  ;D
[/quote]

Don't worry about Hammerman, he's wears a polka dot jersey under his jacket.  ;)
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

caerau

Wish I did  :(

I thought I was pretty good on hills until I went above 200 k - that's when it finds you out.  Or found me out at least.

Well, now you've said it, you've got to do it!  ;D
Hope to see you there.
Bollocks, got no choice now, be gentle with me
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
Yep - 20th Wedding Anniversary clashes with this event.  No I am not buying  tandem.  Anyhue, I consider myself fortunate to have a reasonable excuse to not ride this 9.5AAA event.  Booked myself onto the 3 Coasts 600 the weekend before which seems much more sensible.

Have fun guys - and thanks for setting up this event MrsBlackSheep - I enjoyed your Ventoux story in arrivee.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

you do pick your dates Mark!  >:(
There's a perm version also

But you know how I need TLC  :-*

And wheels to suck  ;)

I rely on a good leadout

...and someone to operate a pump for you?   ;D

Yep - 20th Wedding Anniversary clashes with this event.  No I am not buying  tandem.  Anyhue, I consider myself fortunate to have a reasonable excuse to not ride this 9.5AAA event.  Booked myself onto the 3 Coasts 600 the weekend before which seems much more sensible.

Have fun guys - and thanks for setting up this event MrsBlackSheep - I enjoyed your Ventoux story in arrivee.

... could always consider the 14hrs of darkness perm option in October!  I'm on the lookout for someone to egg me on!