Author Topic: European Super League  (Read 13260 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: European Super League
« Reply #25 on: 19 April, 2021, 11:07:48 am »
It's the Milk Cup.  ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 19 April, 2021, 11:18:48 am »
Sounds like Mourinho has taken a stand against the ESL. And got sacked.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56799400

Spurs face Manchester City in the Carabao Cup final on Sunday.

In the what?  When I was a small Mr Larrington a carabao was a water buffalo ???

(Googles)

Ah.  Apparently it’s what the League Cup is called these days.
The carabao is a domestic swamp-type water buffalo native to the Philippines. Despite the popular notion that this bovine has been declared the national animal of the Philippines, the National Commission for Culture and the Arts of the Philippines has stated that this has no basis in Philippine law.
Well that's more interesting than being named after an "energy drink".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #27 on: 19 April, 2021, 11:27:07 am »
It's an opportunity to see the Premiership "development teams" in action.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #28 on: 19 April, 2021, 11:31:29 am »

I think he actually got sacked for not being very good.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #29 on: 19 April, 2021, 11:42:41 am »

I think he actually got sacked for not being very good.

I think maybe he realised he was likely to sacked and has used the super duper league thing as an opportunity to leave with a moral victory

« Reply #30 on: 19 April, 2021, 11:48:31 am »
Firstly I can't see these teams operating to a salary cap, and if they do it will not be anywhere near low enough to allow the other teams in their national league to compete against them. Secondly how do you run a draft system for 12 clubs in a global sport where they are competing in their national leagues? It's not like giving the twelfth of these at the end of the season first pick is possible unless junior players are going to have release clauses from whichever clubs they are playing for to allow them to 'declare' for the draft, at which point national leagues are little more than college football.

If they want to go ahead with their midweek league then I suspect the clubs should be punished with immediate points reductions, shall we say 10 points for each unsanctioned game played? Also how are they going to fit these extra games into the calendar given all the concerns about player burn out and the need for a winter break to allow the national sides to be better in summer tournaments?
There's no plan for a draft.  There is a plan for a "spending framework", which is presumably a salary cap by another name.
The new league plans are 18 guaranteed group games, plus 5 knockout games to get to the final. The Champions League right now is 6 group games plus 7 knockout games, and the Europa League is 6 group games plus 9 knockout games (excluding qualifiers). So it's an extra 10 games over the current CL. The same statement is on every club's website (which includes quoting a Glazer on the LFC website with no comment from Henry): https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/431801-leading-european-football-clubs-announce-new-super-league-competition

It's easy to say that these clubs should be punished and given points penalties or be relegated. However, they have a huge amount of power - if you throw these 6 clubs out of the PL, you have to tear up the broadcast deals, and everyone goes bust, from the FA all the way down to the National League.

It's strange to see that Mourinho got sacked the week before the league cup final. I thought they would have waited until they were mathematically out of the top 4 race (though maybe that doesn't matter now!)

rogerzilla

« Reply #31 on: 19 April, 2021, 11:48:49 am »
Amd a few million quid in compensation for being crap.

« Reply #32 on: 19 April, 2021, 12:06:31 pm »
The first 4 stories on France Info's web site were about this shit. Jesus wept.

Not a surprise to see the BBC doing the same, but the Guardian is also at it.

I've tried but I still can't grasp the significance of this super league.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #33 on: 19 April, 2021, 12:14:31 pm »
It’s capitalism in action. If the new super league can convince the television bean counters that they are who everyone* wants to watch, they get the TV money and no one else gets a look in. Those on the gravy train at FIFA don’t want completion for the bribes incentives and so threaten the players with not playing for their national teams.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #34 on: 19 April, 2021, 12:17:34 pm »
No, not the world famous RL competition,
Fanciful pronouncement: It's from a commercial disagreement such as this that rugby league, a whole new form of football, was formed. Give it time, an independent structure, player disagreements (odd perhaps that we've heard from clubs, their fans, administrators, pundits, but not players), and several tens of billion of dollars (or euros) and who knows?

« Reply #35 on: 19 April, 2021, 12:25:29 pm »
Well Johnson has pledged to stop it which means it's almost certain to go ahead, probably with Dido Harding in charge.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #36 on: 19 April, 2021, 12:58:25 pm »
I cant see it happening in anything like the "highly closed shop" format that's been mooted with 12 permanent members and a few others scrapping for places at the table.       

What's more likely to end up with the reformed Champions League delivering an even greater slice of the pie to those countries/clubs who already get the biggest share. 

This is effectively UEFAs Van der Saar proposal - where a team like Liverpool could finish outside the top 4 but could still leapfrog a team like West Ham and take a place in the competition based on <reasons> rather than final league placings.  This proposal also increased the number of fixtures significantly, which appeared likely to sound the death knell for the League Cup in England (unless the Champions League teams are given a bye into the latter stages or can field U23 teams or suchlike at least in the early stages).

It'll play out much like the time England were expelled from the then Five Nations https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/england-ejected-from-five-nations-1.1256720

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #37 on: 19 April, 2021, 01:23:28 pm »
the League Cup in England
The Water Buffalo Cup as it shall now be known. Mozzarella for the cup!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #38 on: 19 April, 2021, 01:35:56 pm »
I see Tottenham is one of the teams on the list.  Remind me again when Spurs were last the Champions of English foopball as she is played?

[“1962” – Ed.]
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #39 on: 19 April, 2021, 01:45:57 pm »
I see Tottenham is one of the teams on the list.  Remind me again when Spurs were last the Champions of English foopball as she is played?

[“1962” – Ed.]
There are a lot of memes going around about the vast success of Spurs when compared to the rest of the 12. I think this may be my favourite: https://twitter.com/Orbinho/status/1384063188216414212

« Reply #40 on: 19 April, 2021, 02:33:14 pm »
It’s capitalism in action. If the new super league can convince the television bean counters that they are who everyone* wants to watch, they get the TV money and no one else gets a look in. Those on the gravy train at FIFA don’t want completion for the bribes incentives and so threaten the players with not playing for their national teams.

Yes, but why is the new superleague seen as any worse for fans than FIFA or EUFA?

rogerzilla

« Reply #41 on: 19 April, 2021, 02:38:36 pm »
Well Johnson has pledged to stop it which means it's almost certain to go ahead, probably with Dido Harding in charge.
Which would be cunning, as everything she touches turns to shit.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #42 on: 19 April, 2021, 03:21:28 pm »

Yes, but why is the new superleague seen as any worse for fans than FIFA or EUFA?
I don’t think the audience care one way or another to be honest. As long as they get wall to wall association football streamed into their homes or pubs and that they can support ‘their’ team occasionally, they’ll be happy. I think audience is a better term these days because I associate fan with those chaps that went along to the football grounds of a weekend to support the team they had done so since they were knee high to a grasshopper.

Personally, I don’t care what they do, because I view most professional footballers as overpaid prima Donna’s, most of whom wouldn’t recognise sportsmanship if it hit them over the back of the head with a wet kipper.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #43 on: 19 April, 2021, 03:58:40 pm »

I don’t think the audience care one way or another to be honest. As long as they get wall to wall association football streamed into their homes or pubs and that they can support ‘their’ team occasionally, they’ll be happy. I think audience is a better term these days because I associate fan with those chaps that went along to the football grounds of a weekend to support the team they had done so since they were knee high to a grasshopper.
Then you aren't listening.  Fan reaction from pretty much all the clubs involved has been extremely anti (Spurs fans might be busy with other things). I've not heard/read anyone trying to defend it. There is an article somewhere saying they have done this based on the idea that they can irritate the "legacy fans" because there are enough "new fans" to take their places.  Utterly disregarding the idea that "legacy fans" are the ones who go to the game, create the atmosphere, support their team for life etc.

The new superleague has several strikes against it, but the basic problem is that they are tearing up the pinnacle of the game to make a few quid and screw over everyone else.

The list of objections I've seen:

(click to show/hide)
All fan created flags are going to be removed from Anfield:
https://twitter.com/SpionKop1906/status/1384095535854800901
Except this one I guess...
https://twitter.com/TheAnfieldWrap/status/1384117183748268041

« Reply #44 on: 19 April, 2021, 04:14:05 pm »
Notice there are no German clubs involved. You cannot play in the Bundesliga if commercial investors have more than a 49 percent stake in your club. In other words, the majority vote on anything like this is down to the fans. And the fans say nein to this nonsense in Germany, just like they would everywhere else if they could....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #45 on: 19 April, 2021, 04:25:20 pm »
Because, at the moment, they run/own football and its participants (don't forget it's the UEFA Champions League, the UEFA World Cup and so on).  It's a not very well disguised form of slavery known as restriction of trade.  I've realised I don't actually care very much, any more.

Up to a point, Lord Copper.  The World Cup is FIFA's, er, ball-game.

Sorry.  I guess it's an indication of just how much I can't be bothered, these days!

« Reply #46 on: 19 April, 2021, 04:26:56 pm »
Bayern Munich should have been a shoe-in for this caper.

« Reply #47 on: 19 April, 2021, 04:35:57 pm »
Bayern Munich should have been a shoe-in for this caper.
They were invited (presumably pressured) but turned it down to stay in the existing structures. Presumably because of 50+1.
Likewise, PSG turned it down, though I suspect that's because they are owned by Qatar, who paid a lot of money for CL rights.

« Reply #48 on: 19 April, 2021, 04:53:33 pm »
Bayern Munich...turned it down to stay in the existing structures. Presumably because of 50+1.
Please explain.

« Reply #49 on: 19 April, 2021, 05:06:48 pm »
Bayern Munich...turned it down to stay in the existing structures. Presumably because of 50+1.
Please explain.

Notice there are no German clubs involved. You cannot play in the Bundesliga if commercial investors have more than a 49 percent stake in your club. In other words, the majority vote on anything like this is down to the fans. And the fans say nein to this nonsense in Germany, just like they would everywhere else if they could....

Basically in Germany the fans have to hold 50% + 1 vote in the ownership structure of the club, therefore you would have to persuade the supporters association to back the idea for the club to join. Given the current fan reaction and DuncanM's accurate observation about fans being able to afford to travel to 9 european mid week away games, (flights, tickets, hotels, time off work etc.) then this might not be possible with the German clubs.