Author Topic: The audax season?  (Read 11361 times)

The audax season?
« on: 13 February, 2011, 03:26:05 pm »
Is this a calender year, or just a few months of the year?

I wanted to make the Stevenage 200 my first, and if that went okay I fancied diving in for the SR this year.
My blog.... www.smilerbiker.blogspot.co.uk

'Pick it up and run'

border-rider

Re: The audax season?
« Reply #1 on: 13 February, 2011, 03:30:55 pm »
1 November - 31 October

edit: this being a PBP year, many of the calendar 400s and 600s will be crowded in in May & June. Even in a normal year they tend to be in the months with the longest days, and people wanting to ride long distances in the darker months do perms

Alouicious

« Reply #2 on: 13 February, 2011, 04:24:47 pm »
The reason for this is every other bike club in the country ask for their subscription fees at the end of the calendar year.
Audax asks for your membership fee before you've spent it on buying yourself a Christmas present.

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 13 February, 2011, 04:27:22 pm »
membership year is a calendar year.  It's the events year only that runs November-November

« Reply #4 on: 13 February, 2011, 04:47:50 pm »
Ah, I wouldn't want to deny a PBP rider a place.

'Pick it up and run'

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 13 February, 2011, 04:49:37 pm »

That's very unlikely to be an issue.  A few very popular events have filled up in the past (1999) but not since, I think.

What are you thinking of riding for your SR ?

« Reply #6 on: 13 February, 2011, 05:36:46 pm »
I haven't thought about it much past the Stevenage 200.

This sounds daft, but I've just started wearing glasses  for reading, but I can't ride in them. So initially I'm staying local'ish until I'm more familiar with route finding.

Ideally the Chalfont 'big ones' would be the ones I go for. 

'Pick it up and run'

« Reply #7 on: 13 February, 2011, 07:04:45 pm »

You're just as entitled to enter as a PBP hopeful.  Good luck with the SR!

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #8 on: 13 February, 2011, 08:02:25 pm »

This sounds daft, but I've just started wearing glasses  for reading, but I can't ride in them. So initially I'm staying local'ish until I'm more familiar with route finding.

If you contact the event organiser they will provide a copy of the routesheet as a word document so those that want can reformat them using larger fonts, whatever, as they might prefer.

My solution was to start using a GPS so I don't have to read the routesheet at all!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 13 February, 2011, 08:51:39 pm »

This sounds daft, but I've just started wearing glasses  for reading, but I can't ride in them. So initially I'm staying local'ish until I'm more familiar with route finding.

If you contact the event organiser they will provide a copy of the routesheet as a word document so those that want can reformat them using larger fonts, whatever, as they might prefer.

My solution was to start using a GPS so I don't have to read the routesheet at all!

Arial Rounded MT Bold is IMO the font/fount/typeface that is most legible for its point size but YMMV.

Varifocal spectacle lenses are pricy, take some acclimatising and aren't too brilliant for sideways glances but may still be helpful for you.

« Reply #10 on: 13 February, 2011, 09:28:59 pm »
Thank you, the advice on here has been excellent already.

I'll probably try a dry run with an old route card first, though  GPS is something to consider for the future. Right now I need to knock up a suitable bike for more than 200k. My current bike was built for racing Crits with the LVRC - comfy it's not.

Stand by for more Qs.

'Pick it up and run'

« Reply #11 on: 13 February, 2011, 10:51:28 pm »
I'm working on finalising details for the Willesden 3Down 300K and will be offering the Routesheet as a spreadsheet, amongst other formats, so you will be able to chop and change it as much as you like.

Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 13 February, 2011, 10:57:01 pm »
If you can commute to work (a reasonable distance) by bicycle, you will not go far wrong using your commuting bike for audax.
You can address comfort and mechanical issues close to home/work rather than miles from civilisation on a dark, wet night. You will know what is reliable and does not instantly disintegrate.

« Reply #13 on: 13 February, 2011, 11:01:44 pm »
I'm working on finalising details for the Willesden 3Down 300K and will be offering the Routesheet as a spreadsheet, amongst other formats, so you will be able to chop and change it as much as you like.

That's a very useful facility that other organisers could learn from.

I always like to get the hilly bits out of the way while I'm fresh..

« Reply #14 on: 14 February, 2011, 01:26:20 am »

That's a very useful facility that other organisers could learn from.

I always like to get the hilly bits out of the way while I'm fresh..

It's done for you already. The hills are mainly at the start.

Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

« Reply #15 on: 14 February, 2011, 05:50:02 pm »
Unfortunately commuting isn't an option - tools etc. I am already riding 200km  on what I have, but that's as far as I'd want to ride it. Plus it's carbon everything so I  don't want to attach stuff to it. A second hand steel one is waiting in the wings :D

Ian, the Willesden rides look well suited to my needs. Thanks

'Pick it up and run'

« Reply #16 on: 31 July, 2013, 10:25:27 pm »
membership year is a calendar year.  It's the events year only that runs November-November

AUK UK web-site that new members joiming late in the year will be subscribed until the end of the following year.

Can I join in late October to start the new season without having to rejoin again at the turn of the new year ?

I would like to have a go at RRTY. commencing November.

Furious

• Pedal Head
    • Rijidij.net
« Reply #17 on: 01 August, 2013, 07:54:56 am »

AUK UK web-site that new members joiming late in the year will be subscribed until the end of the following year.

Can I join in late October to start the new season without having to rejoin again at the turn of the new year ?

Yep.
I just joined (what was I thinking?!), and my membership runs until Dec 2014  :thumbsup:
Wer sein Fahrrad liebt, der schiebt.
He who loves his bike, will push it.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #18 on: 01 August, 2013, 10:09:19 am »
... and just to add that the assertion in the (rather old) quote is no longer correct.
The events year now runs October-September.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #19 on: 01 August, 2013, 09:18:43 pm »

Yep.
I just joined (what was I thinking?!), and my membership runs until Dec 2014  :thumbsup:

Bang tidy !

I'll give it a go.

« Reply #20 on: 23 October, 2013, 11:47:46 am »
Just entering my second season of AUDAX.  I see from above the season should run from October to September.  The AUDAX web page shows this months events are still appearing in 2013 results.  Does this mean the 2014 season hasn't yet started or that the page will get updated and move this months results into 2014?  Was thinking of going for one of the new AAA badges and have a route planned for early next week that has 3.5 points and lots of possible pain.  Would be even more painful if it didn't count to the 2014 tally!

« Reply #21 on: 23 October, 2013, 12:16:07 pm »
Hi 39

The 2014 results appearing in the 2013 lists will be moved to form a new list for the 2014 season once we receive the last 4 results from the old season.

Your next ride will definitely count towards 2014's score.

Keith

HK

« Reply #22 on: 23 October, 2013, 01:40:13 pm »
Keeff,

Was the 2013 Rough Dimond 300 a ACP validated ride?  Just that its showing up as a BR at the moment on the AUK results.  Just that for a couple of folks it would count as part of the ACP exstended supers towards a R10,000 award. HK

« Reply #23 on: 23 October, 2013, 01:56:51 pm »
If you only joined in March, and gained 49 points by the end of September, is there special dispensation to let an October 200 count towards the 2013 season, just to get it over 50?
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

hillbilly

« Reply #24 on: 23 October, 2013, 02:00:07 pm »
If you only joined in March, and gained 49 points by the end of September, is there special dispensation to let an October 200 count towards the 2013 season, just to get it over 50?

Yes

(click to show/hide)