Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1628348 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #7725 on: 04 June, 2016, 12:24:50 pm »
I've never been allowed to give blood.  There was a brief window where the travel and exposure to the wrong kind of filthy queers restrictions were about to time out, and they went and tightened the rules on having received a transfusion.  :(

So, anyone who is allowed to give blood, take this post as your irregular reminder to go and do so.  This recipient, for one, would be extremely grateful.  Also, I hear they have biscuits.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7726 on: 04 June, 2016, 01:17:34 pm »
AIUI the rules at present are that you can't give blood if you've ever received a transfusion. Which rules me out on the grounds of thinking I probably have received blood but not being able to remember precisely and not having it recorded anywhere that I can still find.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7727 on: 04 June, 2016, 01:18:45 pm »
So yeah, do give blood if you can. Even if you don't like biscuits.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7728 on: 04 June, 2016, 01:25:04 pm »
Anti-grumble: Nowadays the range of snacks on offer post-donation is massive. Orange Club biscuits included, noms. I found a local session with a time suited to my shifts, so 500ml of O- will be on offer soon.

The city-centre location in Brum gives me an excuse to travel in to get other things as well. However, they pay for car parking, but won't contribute to my train ticket.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #7729 on: 04 June, 2016, 01:32:24 pm »
I haven't given blood for a few years. Must find a session I can get to, harder now that we don't have a car but worst case I'll borrow the MiL's car for an evening as it's a worthy cause.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7730 on: 04 June, 2016, 01:34:29 pm »
Can't - too much crud (a.k.a. medication) floating round in my blood.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7731 on: 04 June, 2016, 06:15:10 pm »
Got my 75 pint badge the other day, so I thought I'd have a go at platelets. Took a bike ride up to Tooting, where I was given the code to the bike cage. Sat around, ate some biscuits, had my veins examined, had four tubes of blood taken so they can check my platelet level, drank squash, ate more biscuits, cycled to East Croydon.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #7732 on: 04 June, 2016, 06:16:10 pm »
I can understand that, T42, as they are very hot on any medication taken. Even my ibuprofen taken for a hangover the previous weekend gets the third degree.

The Blood set up has changed loads over the years. I first gave in '79 and then it was all white starched sheets and proper beds. The nurses prepared you and had to stand by the bed with a hand in the air to get the attention of the doctor on shift who would insert the needle. Nowadays, it's body-sculpted couches that recline and the nurse gets to do the insertion his/herself (though 'tis usually a she), fnarr, fnarr...

In Sweden you get paid a small sum for donating, but are usually expected to donate it to their equivalent of the WRVS who provide lovely coffee and cakes. In Hungary I was offered, and took, beer.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #7733 on: 04 June, 2016, 06:20:06 pm »
Bloody noisy bloody garden bloody machinery. Mowers, strimmers and worst of all our OCD neighbour with his bloody garden bloody vacuum.  >:(
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #7734 on: 04 June, 2016, 06:50:59 pm »
I give whenever I can, and am up to about 12 or so I think. I got a nice badge a while ago. I figured one day I might need it, so I should bank some while I can.

So, anyone who is allowed to give blood, take this post as your irregular reminder to go and do so.  This recipient, for one, would be extremely grateful.  Also, I hear they have biscuits.

This. I only do it for the nurses' attention orange Club bisquits.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #7735 on: 04 June, 2016, 07:27:48 pm »
I like Kim fell afoul of the dirty-queers rules then the transfusion ones too. My life was saved at days old by 3 'exchange transfusions' for very high bilirubin levels. I am told that 1-2 exchange transfusions were serious, doing a third was very unusual but they did it out of desperation. No idea how much blood that would have been, more than one pint I'm sure...

Even if eligible to donate, the fact no one seems to be able to extract my blood would probably thwart donation. My dad faints, and despite three attempts he fainted at every one. 6'2" of big heavy man fainting isn't safe so they told him to stop trying to donate. Mum donated regularly till she got cancer then was on nasty meds and no-transfusions rule.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7736 on: 04 June, 2016, 09:05:16 pm »
I was all right, travel excepted until three years ago, Type 1 apparently is a no no, risk to me I'm told, probably in the top 10-15% fitness wise
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #7737 on: 04 June, 2016, 09:32:00 pm »
Lurgy in June.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #7738 on: 04 June, 2016, 11:49:01 pm »
I used to, & got to 20-odd, then had health issues which stopped me donating. But I've just checked  one of the drugs I'm now on (there used to be others which precluded donating) & it's OK to donate while taking that. I must check the other one.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7739 on: 05 June, 2016, 08:32:41 am »
Bloody noisy bloody garden bloody machinery. Mowers, strimmers and worst of all our OCD neighbour with his bloody garden bloody vacuum.  >:(

Aye, and three+ surplus adolescents on 50cc motorbikes who came down the road doing wheelies at 02:30.  Such stuff as shotgun incidents are made of.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #7740 on: 05 June, 2016, 10:31:01 am »
Got my 75 pint badge the other day, so I thought I'd have a go at platelets. Took a bike ride up to Tooting, where I was given the code to the bike cage. Sat around, ate some biscuits, had my veins examined, had four tubes of blood taken so they can check my platelet level, drank squash, ate more biscuits, cycled to East Croydon.
Chapeau! That's truly impressive.  I've been stuck on 10 for nearly a year now due to reasons above. The forrin parts rules are other reason it's taken 9 years to get that far.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #7741 on: 05 June, 2016, 01:24:12 pm »
Alas, I got stuck on 15 or so; despite my sweet sweet O neg, my meds mean I'm ineligible. I feel like I'm missing out - I don't remember orange club biscuits in my day!

« Reply #7742 on: 05 June, 2016, 03:04:34 pm »
75 is impressive.

I got to 30 something. It's a bit vague 'cause some donations didn't appear on the records (mass company donations). Then they got all funny about meds. I'm not on meds that should make any difference, but my meds aren't on their 'ok' list so they tend to say no to me.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7743 on: 05 June, 2016, 03:29:04 pm »
Bloody weather: torrential rain & flooding -> sunny -> thunderstorms in less than 36 hours.  I wouldn't care so much but we have to unplug the computers and routers every time it starts to rumble.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #7744 on: 05 June, 2016, 03:49:24 pm »
Something nasty bit me (three times - or maybe three things bit me) when I was out dog walking yesterday and now one ankle doesn't bend properly and shoes are annoying because of the nasty swelling on top of one foot, one elbow is hot and uncomfortable and I'm having to really fight the urge to scratch the blistery bite on it, and wearing a bra is even more irritating and uncomfortable than usual because of the bite in the middle of my back.  Bah.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7745 on: 05 June, 2016, 04:28:06 pm »
Partner found bicycle front tyre had deflated when wheeling bicycle out to make space for impeding party.
We seem to be expecting more guests than we have seats.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #7746 on: 06 June, 2016, 09:31:25 am »
The half-term hols officially ended for me at 1140 yesterday morning, when the thrown-out-of-Hell-for-making-too-much-noise bastard neighbours came back from their holiday >:( It's been lovely all week, but within seconds of their car stopping it was SHRIEK YELL YAP-YAP-YAP BANG CLONK SHOUTY-SHOUTY SQUEAL YAP SHOUT. >:( >:( >:(
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7747 on: 06 June, 2016, 09:58:39 am »
Call the nick, citing a possible domestic.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #7748 on: 06 June, 2016, 11:14:21 am »
If I did that every time they made that much noise I wouldn't have time to do anything else. >:(

Did I mention they are NOISY bastards? The sort of idiots who live their whole lives at full volume.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7749 on: 06 June, 2016, 12:54:08 pm »
The bar downstairs from my office used to be like that.  Walked in one day to hear the owner bawling at one of his brats "you're as big a tw@ as your mother".