Author Topic: Looking for Oil Drum Lane  (Read 1420 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Looking for Oil Drum Lane
« on: 17 December, 2018, 03:40:14 pm »
Caught this last night on radio 4 as I cycled through the pissing rain. A half hour drama telling how Galton and Simpson devised and evolved Steptoe and Son. It's a mix of earchive material and newly minted script. Give it go

Drama - Looking for Oil Drum Lane - @bbcradio4 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001mv2
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Looking for Oil Drum Lane
« Reply #1 on: 17 December, 2018, 04:02:08 pm »
Caught this last night on radio 4 as I cycled through the pissing rain. A half hour drama telling how Galton and Simpson devised and evolved Steptoe and Son. It's a mix of earchive material and newly minted script. Give it go

Drama - Looking for Oil Drum Lane - @bbcradio4 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001mv2
I'm presuming that's a wonderful coinage for radio and general aural archives rather than a serendipitious typo.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2 on: 17 December, 2018, 05:44:51 pm »

I'm presuming that's a wonderful coinage for radio and general aural archives rather than a serendipitious typo.  :thumbsup:

Of course it is. (can I patent it?)

Many years ago on a far corner of the interwebs, I inhabited umra, a newsgroup for "the sort of pople who might like to listen to The Archers".  Such a serendipitopus typo would be TWATBILI - That Was a Typo But I Like It.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 17 December, 2018, 06:46:16 pm »
(where does a serendipitopus live? )

This thread has been very serendipitous - although I really can't bear  Steptoe, sorry.

I am loving "earchive", and TWATBILI is also brilliant.  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4 on: 17 December, 2018, 06:52:40 pm »
I caught the programme on the way home from mum’s. One of those rare occasions when you hope there’s enough journey to hear it to the end.

It was close - driveway close - but there was.

Sometimes radio is perfect.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 17 December, 2018, 07:42:56 pm »
I'm not a fan of Steptoe either, though I'd probably prefer it to the Archers. But I am a big fan of this thread.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6 on: 17 December, 2018, 07:51:50 pm »
It had very little Steptoe in it. It had a fair bit of the creative process with Galton and Simpson bouncing ideas off each other. Presumably the one thing scriptwriters are sure to know about is the script writing process itself.