Author Topic: LEL preparation  (Read 32202 times)

simonp

Re: LEL preparation
« Reply #100 on: 13 April, 2009, 10:55:49 pm »
Given my late start to the season, here's my hastily crafted plan:

2009-05-10 Fred Whitton Challenge 180k
2009-05-23 Raid Essex 200k (as a DIY 300?  don't tempt me...)
2009-06-06 The Snow Roads 300k (perhaps)
2009-06-13 The Irish Mail 400k
2009-06-27 Midlander Super Grimpeur 300k (makes the Fred Whitton seem easy)
2009-07-04 Offa's Dyke 600k
2009-07-12 Greater Garboldisham Grovel 200k
2009-07-26 London-Edinburgh-London 1400k

How hard can it be?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #101 on: 14 April, 2009, 04:42:19 pm »
My preparations will include having a physical.  I know it's not required, but I've never put myself through such physical stress before.  Added to this I've recently learned that my younger brother has had heart problems (family history of heart conditions, father and maternal & paternal grandparents).  I think it's all a mild case of paranoia, but I'll feel better having an MOT.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #102 on: 14 April, 2009, 04:54:57 pm »
35 quid (it's a charity) gets you an ECG and ultrasound echo check (if necessary) with Cardiac Risk in the Young. (As long as you're under 35 years old).

Cardiac Risk in the Young the UK SADS charity raises awareness and offers support for SADS

The clinics are few and far between though. They're in Colchester on the 16th May although you may well be in Chepstow then.

Sandhurst (nr Guildford) on the 4th July.

I went back in February and I've got a lovely letter from the cardiologist to say that I'm perfectly normal.

Given your family history you should be able to get this done on the NHS via your GP.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #103 on: 14 April, 2009, 04:59:53 pm »
35 quid (it's a charity) gets you an ECG and ultrasound echo check (if necessary) with Cardiac Risk in the Young. (As long as you're under 35 years old).

Cardiac Risk in the Young the UK SADS charity raises awareness and offers support for SADS

The clinics are few and far between though. They're in Colchester on the 16th May although you may well be in Chepstow then.

I went back in February and I've got a lovely letter from the cardiologist to say that I'm perfectly normal.

Given your family history you should be able to get this done on the NHS via your GP.

Thanks for that, but a year too late :( (and I'll be in Chepstow :-\ ).  I see my GP a week from Wednesday to have a chat about LEL and what my concerns are so he can decide what tests he'll ask for (in any) in addition to cardiac.

LEL

« Reply #104 on: 14 April, 2009, 06:11:13 pm »

Thanks for that, but a year too late :( (and I'll be in Chepstow :-\ ).  I see my GP a week from Wednesday to have a chat about LEL and what my concerns are so he can decide what tests he'll ask for (in any) in addition to cardiac.

I think you should qualify that to physical tests..... ;D
(I am assuming your sanity is not under question?)

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #105 on: 14 April, 2009, 06:37:06 pm »

I think you should qualify that to physical tests..... ;D
(I am assuming your sanity is not under question?)

No question about it - I am loony.  Evidence: I am voluntarily cycling from London to Edinburgh and back in no more than 116hrs.   :P

« Reply #106 on: 14 April, 2009, 08:27:13 pm »

I had an echo scan last week - pretty amazing to see your heart valves pulsing and your blood spurting through the heart in real-time colour 3-D!

I'd been sent because my GP was concerned that the spikes on an ECG were very high - turns out I have an extremely healthy heart with powerful muscle contractions (almost certainly due to cycling), so all clear.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Shinna

• It didn't kill me, but I don't feel any stronger.
« Reply #107 on: 17 April, 2009, 08:41:51 pm »
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Or so I'm told.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #108 on: 17 April, 2009, 09:13:34 pm »
That which does not kill us makes us stranger stronger. Or so I'm told.

FTFY  ;)

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #109 on: 12 May, 2009, 06:05:54 pm »
My preparations will include having a physical.  I know it's not required, but I've never put myself through such physical stress before.  Added to this I've recently learned that my younger brother has had heart problems (family history of heart conditions, father and maternal & paternal grandparents).  I think it's all a mild case of paranoia, but I'll feel better having an MOT.

Saw my GP a few weeks ago.  We had a good chat about family history (including recent developments), what I've been doing physically and what I'm planning.  He did some basic checks and found nothing troubling, though he did suggest I consider shedding a kilo or a few (yeah, I know, I know...).  He also sent me off for blood tests.  I checked on those results this week and all is well.  :)

Now I just need to do lots and lots and lots of climbing.  :-\