Author Topic: "Hidden" headset - seat replacement in carbon frame  (Read 1231 times)

"Hidden" headset - seat replacement in carbon frame
« on: 13 August, 2011, 07:34:08 pm »
So, I stripped down the bike I bought recently (a Planet X carbon framed one) and found the headset rusty, the fork crown race cracked, and more importantly for this question the seats in the frame somewhat corroded - this is an integrated headset.  Now I've replaced races in steel frames, drifting out the old and pressing in the new (and yes, I appreciate that in this frame they aren't races, just seats for the sealed bearings of the headset to sit in / be aligned by)  but can I do the same for the seat in a carbon frame? Has anyone done this here? They appear just to be a press fit, and to function they don't need to be bonded in...
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: "Hidden" headset - seat replacement in carbon frame
« Reply #1 on: 14 August, 2011, 10:52:50 am »
I think so.
I haven't had to replace one yet, but I have fitted a couple, using the Mal Volio f**ing great G-clamp method.  I find far the most difficult bit is the ring that sits on the fork crown. If that bit is in good nick I'd be inclined to consider not replacing it.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2011, 11:34:23 am »
Fork crown race is cracked through, so has to be replaced.  Done that b4 using a long bit of pipe. Also pressed in conventional headset races with a long threaded rod plus nuts and washers - in steel frames.  This is the first carbon frame and the first integrated headset tho.....

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 14 August, 2011, 11:50:16 am »
It is cracked and not intentionally split ?

« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2011, 12:28:47 pm »
Oh yes, definitely cracked, not a nice neat diagonal "splice" cut.  And it's off now. Edit:  Of course it's not actually a race either, just a locating seat for the lower part of the integrated headset bearings.

Having checked the seats again it does seem as if they're bonded in, so I'll get some kurust or similar, treat them, and grease well when I fit the replacement headset.