Author Topic: "Mini" track pumps...  (Read 4374 times)

"Mini" track pumps...
« on: 13 May, 2013, 05:34:06 pm »
...The sort you can carry on your bike.

My trusty HPX is getting a bit long in the tooth. Quite a bit of rust inside and it's getting stiff. Time for a new pump.

I like the idea of a portable floor/track pump. Especially one with a gauge. Even if they're not that accurate, they're still going to be better than guessing. Obviously I hope not to get many (well, I'd rather none!) flats on my upcoming trip, but I am obviously going to have to keep tyres up to pressure.

So recommend me a pump! Some I've been lookign at:

Topeak Road Morph With Gauge

Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HP ABS Pump with Gauge

Zefal Profil Mini Floor Pump RG01 With Gauge

Any opinions/other options?

Ta
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: "Mini" track pumps...
« Reply #1 on: 13 May, 2013, 05:36:06 pm »
I have the Topeak Morph with gauge.It gets up to 7 bars very easily.
I'm very pleased with it.
hth

« Reply #2 on: 13 May, 2013, 05:41:48 pm »
hth

It does  :)

The Road Morph is at the top of the list as it seems to be the most common. Lots of people say good things about it. Just wondered if anyone had tried the Lezyne or Zefal jobbies....

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2013, 05:48:51 pm »
Edinburgh Bike Coop have an own brand (Revolution( mini track pump with gauge which is great and very reasonable at £19.99. I have one for Audaxing and commuting. We were easily able to get upto 110 psi on Saturday. My pump is over two years old and always strapped to my bike and the seals still work fine.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #4 on: 13 May, 2013, 06:15:27 pm »
I've got the Lezyne jobby that you've linked to. It replaced a Topeak (Mountain Morph iirc).
My problem with the Topeak was that the plastic bits kept breaking off, particularly the footstand that you use when pumping.
I eventally sacked it when the piston started to seize and it became more and more difficult to pump.

Problems with the Lezyne:-
The handle isn't particularly comfy;
The nozzle screws onto the valve (great) but there's a deflation "button" just where you turn it  :facepalm:

Apart from those things, the Lezyne is a great piece of kit and I've been very happy with it. It's certainly been better for me than the Topeak although both get tyres up tp 100psi or so easily and quickly. 

I suppose that I should add that my pumps seem to get more use than most. It's not because I have a lot of punctures (I don't) but, on group rides, mine is invariably the most effective.

« Reply #5 on: 13 May, 2013, 07:31:11 pm »
another +1 for the road morphe, it's brilliant and quick.  I have another slightly smaller one without a gauge which is also very good (and attached to mrsmikes bike)

« Reply #6 on: 13 May, 2013, 07:50:24 pm »
Cheers, I think the Road Morph is winning at the moment. I assume it comes with fittings of some sort? I'd like to have it slung under the top tube, so I assume it's velcro straps? Although I could fettle it on to some other part of the bike, maybe under the rack...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 13 May, 2013, 07:58:24 pm »
I've also got the Lezyne. I chose it over the Road Morphe partly because it's lighter and tougher, being made of metal, but mainly because it clips onto one side of the bottle cage (you get a plastic thingamebobbjig you put under the cage) whereas the Topeak IIRC sits centrally, denying you one bottle space. Doesn't look like being a problem this year, mind you...  :-\

Anyway, it hasn't had a huge amount of use but my experiences have been varied. A couple of times it's been great, though as Andrew Br said, the handle is too short to be comfy, but on one occasion I just couldn't get it to seal on the valve.  :( Luckily on that occasion someone lent me frame-fitting pump. The plastic clip has been a mixed blessing too - a couple of times I caught it in my trouser leg when wearing baggy MTB-style three-quarters, and the second time it broke the clip. I got a free replacement, which was good, but I'm not sure if they'd send another if it happened again. All in all, I'd say it's good if you dress sensibly!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #8 on: 13 May, 2013, 08:04:21 pm »
I assume it comes with fittings of some sort?

It comes with a cradle which is tie-wraped to a frame tube & the pump is secured to the cradle with a velco strap.
I have mine attached to the underside of the top tube in the manner of your preference.

« Reply #9 on: 13 May, 2013, 08:07:42 pm »
I have a Morph. Mountain, I think - but works on presta valves. Does the job nicely.

I had a smaller than the morph crank brothers one with a gauge. It was crap.

« Reply #10 on: 13 May, 2013, 08:09:53 pm »
Another vote for the road morph. Mine has had lots of use too.

It has one weakness - you can 'kink' the piston and snap it off if trying too hard and not holding the pump.  Just hold the top of the pump to prevent this.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #11 on: 13 May, 2013, 08:20:48 pm »
I've got the Lezyne with the gauge.It gets up to 100psi in 2 minutes.The foot rest is a bit awkward to use with cleats.I've had mine a year with no problems.Expensive bit of kit though.I just shove mine in my carradice,so I can change from bike to bike.

« Reply #12 on: 13 May, 2013, 08:37:53 pm »
... it clips onto one side of the bottle cage (you get a plastic thingamebobbjig you put under the cage) whereas the Topeak IIRC sits centrally, denying you one bottle space.

Ok, that's interesting - you mean you can still use the bottle cage for a bottle at the same time? Decisions, decisions...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #13 on: 13 May, 2013, 08:39:46 pm »
- you mean you can still use the bottle cage for a bottle at the same time?

yes with a Lezyne

no with a Morphe unlless you fit it to a different frame tube as commented upthread

ETA the Morphe uses this bracket http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/trp_3c

the Lezyne uses a bracket like this http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/tmtb_1c

iyswim

« Reply #14 on: 13 May, 2013, 08:46:17 pm »
Lezyne more than happy.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #15 on: 13 May, 2013, 09:48:11 pm »
i have had bonranger one for a number of years now . work well  :thumbsup: seems better made than the mini morphe .
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #16 on: 13 May, 2013, 09:54:04 pm »
I quite like the Road Morph, but it hasn't survived my trip very well (I reckon this is just cos it went through hard conditions - I've tried servicing it, but it still lets out more air than it puts in).

Mounting wise, it's quite versatile, as you get a cradle and a couple of re-usable cable ties which let you fasten it anywhere on the bike. I had it on one of the chainstays seatstays:

« Reply #17 on: 13 May, 2013, 09:59:15 pm »
I mount mine like Deano. Too thirsty to do without a drink. I have a couple of the clips to hold it, for different bikes.

« Reply #18 on: 13 May, 2013, 09:59:53 pm »
Very neat, Deano! Mind you, you've kinda run out of space  :P

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #19 on: 13 May, 2013, 10:00:24 pm »
... it clips onto one side of the bottle cage (you get a plastic thingamebobbjig you put under the cage) whereas the Topeak IIRC sits centrally, denying you one bottle space.

Ok, that's interesting - you mean you can still use the bottle cage for a bottle at the same time? Decisions, decisions...
Yep, you still get to use the bottle cage for a bottle at the same time.

Then again, it sounds like that doesn't have to be a problem with the Topeak either. I reckon whichever you get, you'll more than likely be happy with it, TBH. (Ok, that probably qualifies as one of the least helpful posts of the year. Sorry!)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
« Reply #20 on: 14 May, 2013, 01:17:40 am »
So recommend me a pump! Some I've been lookign at:

I had a Mountain Morph on my touring bike ... didn't take long to break the foot off ... pain to use after that. In my view simply not durable enough for my use.

Now have three Lezyne Floor Drive pumps; one is a HP (High Pressure) and two are HV (High Volume).  Two of them are on my touring bikes where durability and reliability is pretty damn important and the other is on my commuter.  Find them easy to use, durable, inflate easily to the desired pressure (100 psi on the commuter).

Andrew

« Reply #21 on: 14 May, 2013, 02:17:26 am »
Has anyone used the Meqix range?

Saw one in my not-so-LBS the other week: it felt very nicely made, and the guy I spoke to reckoned they were stocking them in preference to Topeak and Lezyne on grounds of quality. No gauge though.

« Reply #22 on: 14 May, 2013, 06:26:01 am »
I've had a Road Morphe with guage for years.  I use Blackburn Airstick brackets to mount it beside the bottle on my downtube.   It gets transferred between machines.   No breakages, totally reliable.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #23 on: 14 May, 2013, 11:01:34 am »
I had a Mountain Morph on my touring bike ... didn't take long to break the foot off ... pain to use after that. In my view simply not durable enough for my use.

Andrew
Mrs B & I both have Morphs (road & minii), & have had for years. Love 'em. I don't see how you can break the foot without yanking the handle up too far, or bending or twisting it as you pump. Do that with a Zefal HPX or similar & you'll break valves. DAHIKT.

I very quickly broke the foot off my Sigma mini track pump - but that one had a serious design flaw: the hinge of the foot took all the strain when pumping. The force goes through the end of the body of the Morph (something I checked before buying one), & that should be resting on something solid. The foot's just to keep it stable & stop it lifting up when you raise the handle.

Re multiple bikes & multiple pumps. I don't get this, except where different types of pump are needed (as in volume vs pressure). Surely you just get extra brackets for the extra bikes & move the pump (takes a few seconds) to the bike you're riding, as PB does? Topeak, Blackburn & Lezyne all sell spare brackets, & as PB shows, you don't even have to get exactly the right bracket, & you're not limited to whatever mode of fitting the original manufacturers bracket allows.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #24 on: 14 May, 2013, 01:50:20 pm »

Zefal Profil Mini Floor Pump RG01 With Gauge

Pick which one of those you want and I'll buy it for you as a touring present.  :-*

(This offer only applies to bobb).
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.