Author Topic: telescopic radiator tail extensions  (Read 650 times)

telescopic radiator tail extensions
« on: 29 April, 2022, 12:42:59 pm »
...like this  https://www.screwfix.com/p/bsp-male-x-15mm-compression-rigid-trv-extension-piece-65mm-2-pack/10954

Need to replace an imperial rad with a slightly smaller metric one and can't easily modify the flow/return pipework (comes up through tiled concrete floor), so looking at tail extensions.  The options appear to be telescopic (as per the link) or rigid and cut to size.

I can see the telescopic ones make the whole job easy but they remain telescopic when fitted so any nudge of the rad pipes with the vacuum is going to shift things around.  In spite of the good reviews on Screwfix, I'm a bit sceptical about how well the o-ring seals will seal effective if the pipes get periodically nudged out of line a bit.

The alternative, rigid pipes cut to length, will make squeezing the rad between the existing valves a bit trickier but I imagine not insurmountable - especially if the bottom nut on the valve is loosened so the valve can be rotated a touch to ease entry (oo-er!).

What would you use, and why?  Do these telescopic actually work well?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: telescopic radiator tail extensions
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2022, 04:56:42 pm »
I'd stick with convention and avoid the telescopic idea - I'd be wary of knocking out of alignment (as you comment) and life of the sealing ring.  A bit of gentle straining on your flow/return pipes to get the connections shouldn't be too difficult.