Author Topic: Washing Machines  (Read 12445 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Washing Machines
« Reply #75 on: 13 March, 2021, 07:48:35 pm »
I do agree the Ebacs look good, but no experience.
Happy Miele owner here tho.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #76 on: 13 March, 2021, 07:55:23 pm »
I have an Ebac dehumidifier. It's terrible at washing clothes.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #77 on: 13 March, 2021, 07:58:55 pm »
OK, so I"ve just looked up the Which website, they tested 2 models in 2017 and gave them a 'Don't Buy' rating on account of poor washing it seems.
Bit more discussion here about Which refusing to test under 'aggressive mode' https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/forums/forum/public-support-forums/buying-advice/863959-ebac-washing-machines

Ebac's response:
https://www.ebac.com/washing-machines/articles/ebacs-response-to-the-which-review-2/

On the 'aggressive mode' comment, when we first got our Miele, I found thr clothes felt a bit funny. Crispy is how I can best describe it. So I started doing most washes on the 'dark clothing' setting which is designed to use a bit more water to prevent powder turning up on clothes.

Good reviews on Amazon & Trustpilot tho, so who knows.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #78 on: 13 March, 2021, 08:04:59 pm »
Before Aunt Phyllis moved in with us, she bought a Samsung "Eco-bubble" washing machine. It was much better than our old thing (Zanussi IIRC) so it came too. In fact, I think ours had actually packed up as I took our washing round to her empty bungalow for quite some time when she was in hospital. More than 5 years later, it still works well, and I'm pretty sure we had a new motor fitted to it a year or so ago. It has the added bonus that when it has finished its programme, it plays a short extract from Schubert's "The Trout", which is lovely, albeit cheesily electronic.

We have a tumble drier but it's very ancient and if you have the space, I would be inclined to spread the clothes our and use a dehumidifier. We've got the space, but we don't always use the dehumidifier as I like to keep the humidity in the piano room at around 50%.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #79 on: 13 March, 2021, 08:13:49 pm »
My Zanussi Jetwash seems to have lasted very well.

ian

« Reply #80 on: 13 March, 2021, 08:19:44 pm »
We have a Smeg washing machine, bought for the sole reason that it was the only stainless steel fronted washing machine available at the time (and had a matching dishwasher). Vanity rules. What can I say, clothes go in dirty and come out clean, and it's been churning away for seven-plus years without issue. We used to have a Siemen's one in our last place that was similarly functional, but the people who bought the house wanted the appliances and seemed to be willing to pay about £6k for them and it saved us moving them, so we took the money and bought new ones.

Our first washing machine (that we owned) came from my wife's gran, and was seventeen years old (it was a Bosch) when we sold our first house (including that).

« Reply #81 on: 13 March, 2021, 08:27:19 pm »
My suggestion for a tumble dryer is to get a heat-pump one. We've had a Beko one for around 8 years now and it's been fine, and seems to be quite economical.

I suspect that there isn't much difference between any of the Beko heat pump ones.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #82 on: 13 March, 2021, 09:21:37 pm »
Bosch washing machine and ebac 2650e dehumidifier here.   The Bosch replaced a well used Bosch simply because we got a better deal on a new machine than fitting a new motor to the 10+ year old one.  It was it's first fault and the brushes had worn down to wafers but new brushes didn't resolve the issue.  The new machine (three years ago now I believe) has a brushless motor. 

The ebac dehumidifier does a grand job of finishing off drying the laundry and providing nice water for the iron.

« Reply #83 on: 13 March, 2021, 09:28:32 pm »
What's an "iron"

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #84 on: 14 March, 2021, 03:23:12 am »
Got an LG washer here which must be twenty years old and has only played up when the drain filter pump got bunged up with fluff and small-denomination coins.  Where did I get a Finnish 1-penni from?  And don’t say “Finland”, as the nearest I've been to Suomi is the Tivoli in Copenhagen.  In 1993.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #85 on: 14 March, 2021, 06:18:13 am »
Have just ordered a new machine here. Went for a Grundig, which looks good on paper, even if I only associate the brand with '70s hifi. 😳

It's replacing a Hoover machine that was giving a 'not draining' error code, and turned out to be live when I opened up the filter. The wet towels inside made the test screwdriver light up - which made pulling it out to get at the socket to disconnect it a little interesting... Chances are I'm being wasteful in replacing it, but even if I was to fix it I don't think I'd trust it again. It's old enough to be a couple of years into its second set of motor brushes, and has had a fairly busy life, so I don't feel too guilty.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #86 on: 14 March, 2021, 07:38:51 am »
Bosch washing machine and ebac 2650e dehumidifier here. 
Same here. A chap in our club owns a shop that sells and refurbishes white goods. I'm on my 2nd
Bosch from him (after the 1st one became unexpectedly ill). Prior to that, I had a Bosch that I
bought from white goods store in 2000 that lasted over 10 years.

I'm limited on space in my kitchen (the only place where a machine can be placed) and the that
it has to have the hinge on the left side of the door.

« Reply #87 on: 14 March, 2021, 08:57:46 am »
Have just ordered a new machine here. Went for a Grundig, which looks good on paper, even if I only associate the brand with '70s hifi. 😳

It's replacing a Hoover machine that was giving a 'not draining' error code, and turned out to be live when I opened up the filter. The wet towels inside made the test screwdriver light up - which made pulling it out to get at the socket to disconnect it a little interesting... Chances are I'm being wasteful in replacing it, but even if I was to fix it I don't think I'd trust it again. It's old enough to be a couple of years into its second set of motor brushes, and has had a fairly busy life, so I don't feel too guilty.

When we had a washing machine go live, the socket it plugged into had a worn earth connection and needed replacing.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #88 on: 14 March, 2021, 10:53:53 am »
Hmmm... You make a good point.
Whatever the cause, it should have tripped the mains so I'd better check the socket. There's continuity between the case and the earth pin on the plug, at least.

ETA:. Yep. You is right:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18icHtOTj3v7SuKeL56wrzvlC82IAAX6A/view?usp=drivesdk
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Washing machine woes
« Reply #89 on: 14 March, 2021, 11:17:07 am »
That’s what happens with our Miele. Will report back after the engineer has been...

I never came back on this. Internal drain pipe clogged up. She washed that out and all was well again.
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #90 on: 14 March, 2021, 11:18:21 am »
In terms of reliability, the machines we have had have been in this order:

Crap famous names
John Lewis
Bosch
Miele

With the most reliable last.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #91 on: 14 March, 2021, 11:30:43 am »
Does the 'crap famous names' cover several sinners?

I forgot the very first washer we bought new was also a Bosch, we left it in our previous flat. Don't know why we didn't just buy another when we needed a new one in this place but we bought a Miele on recommendations here. (I don't remember being unhappy with the Bosch).

If we manage to offload this flat onto some mug this year, one thing I won't be taking is the Miele, unless we get a moving firm in. It's too fucking heavy to be heaving down a flight of steps.

« Reply #92 on: 14 March, 2021, 11:39:27 am »
Just look for a Made in Germany sticker, have an AEG its 30 years old. My mother brought it for me when she ordered a Bosch  its still on the go . On its 3rd set of motor brushes, buy quality buy once was her motto.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #93 on: 14 March, 2021, 12:22:32 pm »
What's an "iron"

iMac-shaped device for applying T-shirt transfers and carpet-joining tape, and for testing RCDs.  The Yoof across the road may occasionally want to borrow it to do something to their clothes before a job interview / Hawt Date.  It takes all sorts.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #94 on: 14 March, 2021, 12:28:38 pm »
Does the 'crap famous names' cover several sinners?

Yes, several names!

« Reply #95 on: 14 March, 2021, 12:57:58 pm »
Many of those names might as well be the same name given that they are all owned by a handful of groups. The Electrolux group own well over 50 brand names (though not all of them washing machines) Among the more well known ones are AEG, Tricity Bendix, Zanussi. The Candy group own Hoover, Zerowatt and Kelvinator among others. The Indesit Company own Ariston, Indesit, New World, Philco, Hotpoint, Creda, Cannon, GDA, English Electric.  Bosch , Neff , Siemens?  Same group.

Your John Lewis, was in fact an Electrolux.

The short answer is that you get what you pay for, but what you pay for includes things like service and spare parts availability.  Cheaper machines may not be very repairable, for example they may use sealed units for cheaper manufacture and assembly. In fact there is EU legislation coming into force this year that requires  greater serviceability and parts availability, but oh whoops Brexit.

Yes, your £1000 Miele may last a long time, but will it last 20 years versus the 5 years you might expect from your £250 Beko?  Who knows.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #96 on: 14 March, 2021, 01:26:23 pm »
What's an "iron"

A temperature-controlled device for applying wax to the base of skis.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #97 on: 14 March, 2021, 01:28:39 pm »
See also the comments about my $Brand has been going strong for 30 years.
That's fine, but what you can buy today is not going to be made the same way, out of the same components. And as Warm Farts says, they're probably not even made by the same company any more. So unfortunately no indication as to future performance of a machine purchased today.

« Reply #98 on: 14 March, 2021, 01:44:04 pm »
If we manage to offload this flat onto some mug this year, one thing I won't be taking is the Miele, unless we get a moving firm in. It's too fucking heavy to be heaving down a flight of steps.

When our Miele (of unspecified age) died a couple of years ago, I was very, very glad I'd paid for the people delivering the new old to take the old one away. I've no idea how they got it down from the second floor, but it took a while...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #99 on: 14 March, 2021, 02:12:35 pm »
I replaced the Hygena washer/dryer that came with the house with a
Miele I bought in 2000 which died last summer so I bought a
Miele in 2020

Cheapest Miele I think.
Fine so far.