Author Topic: Brecon 100kms Audax 17th October  (Read 2331 times)

Brecon 100kms Audax 17th October
« on: 10 October, 2010, 10:43:39 am »
Just a post to see if any fellow YACFers are doing the Brecon Audax next weekend its a nice event skirting the Brecon Beacons and has a wonderful ascent towards the end what i call ' Bombshell Hill'.
Climb every mountain, onwards and upwards.
Next event:- ??????

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
Re: Brecon 100kms Audax 17th October
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2010, 12:48:38 pm »
Yep looks like i'll be there, 1st ride around the area so looking forward to it  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #2 on: 18 October, 2010, 01:44:36 pm »
This was an excellant ride yesterday & worth the five o'clock alarm to get there in time.  Good route/routesheet with plenty hills & descents (long gradual & short/steep) + fantastic views of the brecon beacons & several beautiful reservoirs, several red kites were spotted on the way round.  The 1st control was from the back of a car with a good selection of cake + tea & coffee, good cafe control @ Talybont on usk where we sat outside basking in the sun.  One nasty 1 in 5 hill on the last leg approx 100k in to the ride then an easy final few k to the arrivee where there was a choice of food on offer (chicken curry, chilli con carne or pasta) which should have cost £4 which is all the entry fee was.  A big thanks to John Chilvers the organiser & his helpers at the start/finish & along the route.  I believe there are several rides around the area next year so keep an eye out for them :thumbsup:

Ray Joiner
Tamworth CC
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15

« Reply #3 on: 18 October, 2010, 02:07:54 pm »
Mental note made for next year. I've done a bit of cycling near Brecon this year, out of interest which is the 'bombshell hill' near the end?

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #4 on: 18 October, 2010, 03:39:58 pm »
Just after the church in LLanfilo you bear right & climb, the map shows no chevrons but it must be 20% from experience of climbing hills such a Crowdecote which is 20% in places.

Streetmap - Maps and directions for the whole of Great Britain

You can see it's steep from the contour lines.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
« Reply #5 on: 18 October, 2010, 07:23:04 pm »
I doubt you'd come across Llanfilo Hill unless you were following a routesheet. The Brecon 200 (can't remember name some River Wye-based pun I think) in June is worth a go for the variety of "scenery" (include a monstrous Eppynt-based finish) without the expense of AAA points, worth a trip from Tamworth or Merthyr I'd say. Very friendly club Brecon Whs, I was their TT champion many years ago, oh for my youth :'(

« Reply #6 on: 18 October, 2010, 10:12:58 pm »
I did toy with the idea of using that route from Talgarth when planning a route down to  Talybont-on-Usk recently, attracted by the cycle route o/s green dots but decided to stay on the B road for a bit longer maybe because I thought it might be rough in poor weather maybe because I noticed the profile. I think I mad the right choice as I had loaded panniers and sore knees by Talgarth.

« Reply #7 on: 18 October, 2010, 10:48:55 pm »
I doubt you'd come across Llanfilo Hill unless you were following a routesheet. The Brecon 200 (can't remember name some River Wye-based pun I think) in June is worth a go for the variety of "scenery" (include a monstrous Eppynt-based finish) without the expense of AAA points, worth a trip from Tamworth or Merthyr I'd say. Very friendly club Brecon Whs, I was their TT champion many years ago, oh for my youth :'(

Wye Bother - and yes, it did cause me some severe bother too. Quite why this ride doesnt have AAA beats me.... :o