Author Topic: Syncing virtual rides with both Strava and Garmin Connect  (Read 2351 times)

Syncing virtual rides with both Strava and Garmin Connect
« on: 01 January, 2021, 04:45:51 pm »
For real world rides I use a Garmin 1000 that uploads automatically to Garmin Connect when I get home, and GC then sends the ride to Strava so I can use either to view it.

Zwift is able to send a “virtual” ride to GC, and that then sends it to Strava. I’m also using BigRingVR and FulGaz. Both these VR apps can be linked to my Strava account, but there’s no way I can see to then send the ride from Strava to GC automatically. Both apps save .fit files of the rides, and these can be manually uploaded to GC, but then of course GC sends a duplicate to Strava. Of course I can delete the duplicate ride, or unlink the VR apps from Strava and just do a manual upload to GC (and by default Strava too) and all will be well.

Is there any other method by which I can get the VR app rides onto both platforms?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1 on: 01 January, 2021, 04:57:53 pm »
there’s no way I can see to then send the ride from Strava to GC automatically.

Don’t really know the answer to this, but I do know that in the past when I have manually uploaded a ride to GC (eg when it failed to sync for some reason), Strava has recognised it as a duplicate and removed the second version. Maybe you just need to leave it for a bit so Strava can catch up with its internal processing.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Re: Syncing virtual rides with both Strava and Garmin Connect
« Reply #2 on: 01 January, 2021, 05:03:59 pm »
Interesting, ty. I admit I hadn’t tried the manual upload to GC yet, as reading the FulGax faqs implied a duplicate ride would appear, albeit one as “virtual” - the first, automatic one, and the second as “real world” as it came from the Garmin.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3 on: 01 January, 2021, 05:13:35 pm »
Interesting, ty. I admit I hadn’t tried the manual upload to GC yet, as reading the FulGax faqs implied a duplicate ride would appear, albeit one as “virtual” - the first, automatic one, and the second as “real world” as it came from the Garmin.
Don’t know about that, tbh. The only virtual riding app I use is Zwift, which syncs independently to both Strava and GC - but I’ve never had any problems with duplication from GC attempting to sync those virtual rides back to Strava.

I find Strava is generally good at recognising duplicates and dealing with them appropriately without further intervention. (In fact, it has been over zealous on occasion in not letting me re-upload a modified file without deleting the original first - the modification in question was legitimately splicing together two GPX tracks, in case you’re wondering.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Davef

« Reply #5 on: 03 January, 2021, 06:05:47 pm »
It could be that these other apps add the functionality in due course. Garmin introduced a new api for this in the summer. I had just pressed the send button in my test app when the garmin servers stopped working and stayed that way. A few hours later the news of the ransom attack on garmin servers was revealed. I hadn’t broken garmin after all.

« Reply #6 on: 24 January, 2021, 04:24:51 pm »
Well, today I imported both a .fit file (from FulGaz) and some .tcx files (from BigRingVR).  The former created a duplicate ride in Strava, albeit without the correct name (just "morning ride") but on the correct date (21st), which I deleted. The latter didn't create duplicate Strava rides.