Author Topic: Garmin 810 TBT 'Dist. to point' and 'Time to point' countdown  (Read 2003 times)

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
Garmin 810 TBT 'Dist. to point' and 'Time to point' countdown
« on: 15 January, 2021, 07:00:13 pm »
I use TBT and audible tones when following a course on my Garmin 810. Does anyone know how to reduce the amount of time before the point the countdown starts, mine has started to give me far more warning than I want, increasing screen brightness and reducing battery life. I use alltrails to compose and download as 'Garmin Course TCX'. I seem to recall, probably wrongly, that there was a setting where I could state how far in advance I wanted the countdown begin?

Re: Garmin 810 TBT 'Dist. to point' and 'Time to point' countdown
« Reply #1 on: 24 February, 2021, 10:58:41 pm »
This is a setting when downloading routes from Ride With GPS, if you can’t get what you’re looking for with what you’re currently using.

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
Re: Garmin 810 TBT 'Dist. to point' and 'Time to point' countdown
« Reply #2 on: 27 February, 2021, 08:08:03 am »
This is a setting when downloading routes from Ride With GPS, if you can’t get what you’re looking for with what you’re currently using.
I moved to alltrails when waypoints/custom cue points stopped being offered on the free version of RWGPS. Unlike RWGPS with alltrails you can't specify how long in advance you want the countdown to start. To an extent a full reset has helped, I have also noticed that RWGPS seems to start the countdown later than alltrails, so unless I need waypoints I have reverted to RWGPS.

In some ways it is becoming a but academic as I am not sure how much longer my 810 will last as the Power Button has perished and totally disintegrated; there seem to be no spares to rectify this. A Google search did show that some had used an old base unit with a working power button then swapped the internals over; sadly I'm the kind of person that would probably break it completely attempting that; plus the 'second hand' base units, that I found at least, were not cheap! But, I did find a much simpler workaround. First I cleaned out what was left of the original button, then I made a new one by cutting up an unused 'packing piece' from an old bike light or computer bracket, I dare say most of us probably have some of those kicking about; but something similar would no doubt suffice.

It was quite easy to trim a bit down with some scissors, roughly to a size to fill the hole then and to a depth so that it was nearly flush with the side of the 810, too shallow it could fall inside the unit and too deep and the 'silicone case' would not fit snuggly, to avoid the former I started with it too deep and trimmed a bit at a time until the case fitted accurately. Although it is not actually attached like the original, or a perfect fit, the 'silicone case' holds it securely in place; if anything it works better than the original and the case does give some protection from the elements; mind you if it was pouring with rain I would probably remove to put it in my pocket when just using the unit to collect ride data as opposed to using it to navigate. I'm not sure how long this work round will last but short term it has stopped me throwing it in the bin that's for sure!

I did contact Garmin Support to see if a button was available as a spare, although they said 'no' they did offer me 30% off a current model; I am very tempted with an 830!