Author Topic: The company on DIYs and perms thread  (Read 281820 times)

Weirdy Biker

The company on DIYs and perms thread
« on: 09 July, 2009, 07:21:01 pm »
Suggestion for admin - could be we have a sub-board for DIY/perms that riders would like some company on?

Suggestion is that the topic headings in that board would be "DATE - START LOCATION - DISTANCE - Brief description".  For example "8/8/09 - Redhill, Surrey - 400km - DIY to Wiltshire"

I'd personally find this facility very helpful.

Some other users of the audax board have already indicated in the topic that they think this would be a useful facility.

border-rider

The company on DIYs and perms thread
« Reply #1 on: 17 September, 2009, 10:37:16 pm »
Rather than a sub-board (which is beyond my powers) we'll try a sticky topic.  If it takes off then maybe we can ask the forum admins for a new board, but no promises. So, if you'd like company on a DIY or perm, post here.

Re: The company on DIYs and perms thread
« Reply #2 on: 17 September, 2009, 10:47:44 pm »
You're too late for the Humfire.

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 17 September, 2009, 10:51:46 pm »
Indeed.

One option might be to use this thread as an index to more developed threads about rides, eg

Middle-aged, well preserved and well upholstered male cyclist seeks like-minded company on leisurely weekend tour of southern England's tea rooms, convenience stores, A road service stations and bus shelters.

Likes; riding through rainy nights along romantic unlit winding pot-holed country lanes, gut wrenching ascents, white knuckle descents, narrowly avoiding lumps of aggregate and agriculture along the way.

GSOH, NS, financially solvent, has own hair and own teeth (mostly).

Will consider groups.

RSVP

Picture preferrable.

H

N.B. There are no calendar 600s this weekend but there is The Bournemouth Square 200 (a fine ride in its second year) and, I believe, at least one ride in Wales.

details here:

Revisited - Hellfire 600 Perm: 19th & 20th September

« Reply #4 on: 18 September, 2009, 12:25:28 am »
I sort of started a niche version of this with my 600 series thread, which died when I stopped riding a DIY 600 every month.

Anyway, there's still time to enter the 600km DIY from Bletchley with me and Rich Forrest on September 26th.
Just get your entry form to your DIY organiser even if you haven't got acard, you can use one of mine.

Also, anyone up for a winter 600, let me know. There's always a chance that I will ride a 600.

« Reply #5 on: 18 September, 2009, 07:53:41 am »
As a user of the board, I'd prefer a sticky index with no discussion or a sub-board to a sticky organisational topic where people make arrangements. The reason being that threads rapidly diverge, and digging through pages of discussion doesn't help in finding out where people are riding and when.

The problem with an index is that it will be more effort to maintain and enforce for Mal.
I'm not sure if there would be enough rides organised to justify a sub-board - I guess there are typically a dozen or so a year?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 18 September, 2009, 08:59:40 am »
The problem with an index is that it will be more effort to maintain and enforce for Mal.
shouldn't be a problem for Mal - see Mal's example Hellfire post, where he LINKS to t'other thread. You could do that with your own thread. An informative post here would act as a 'calendar entry' for group perms. New riders may then stumble upon it serendipitously :)

(See also TG's post, where he fails to do this - he understands gear ratios but not embedding URLs !)

There may just be a dozen now, but the market could increase if we set this sort of thing up.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #7 on: 11 October, 2009, 09:02:31 pm »
Series of Surrey / Sussex permanents over the winter.  Mainly based on El Supremo's fine rides.

Topic with more info / updates at:

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=24811.0

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #8 on: 27 October, 2009, 01:06:39 pm »
December DIY200 from MK Anyone want to join me :thumbsup:

« Reply #9 on: 07 November, 2009, 06:47:05 pm »
DIY 200 in December, start Leeds area. Anyone care to join me, route negotiable

border-rider

« Reply #11 on: 09 November, 2009, 01:39:24 pm »
21st November I'm planning to take my bucket & spade (and cake, obv) to the seaside at Sheringham.

Early start at Brandon- Diss- Sheringham- Swaffham- Brandon, 200k

Rain wont stop play but nasty winds and ice might.

Anyone fancy sharing cake, fish & chips? (Not necessarily in that order)

Chris S

« Reply #12 on: 10 November, 2009, 02:14:19 pm »
21st November I'm planning to take my bucket & spade (and cake, obv) to the seaside at Sheringham.

Fidgetbuzz may well be interested; as he's back in Blighty by then, and needing DIYs to maintain his RRTY. I might be interested - depending on how distracting Real Lifetm is at the time.

Either way - if you particularly want to see Swaffham, that's fine - but if you'd prefer a quieter route from Sheringham, via Necton Co-op (for stamping duties) you are welcome to stop here for refreshments and a rest (and possibly to thaw out).

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #13 on: 10 November, 2009, 05:22:48 pm »

Sounds like a nice ride but autoroute comes out at 190km and sends you through the centre of Norwich,is there a control missing?

Rich

« Reply #14 on: 11 November, 2009, 09:07:07 am »

Sounds like a nice ride but autoroute comes out at 190km and sends you through the centre of Norwich,is there a control missing?

Rich

Précis...

It's a Mesh: Brandon, Diss, Wymondham, Aylsham, Sheringham, North Elmham, Swaffham, Brandon.
It'll be something a bit like this on the ground.
Pretty much pancake-flat, so speedy- an early start will get me home in plenty of time for my date dinner.

mikewigley

« Reply #15 on: 12 November, 2009, 11:20:24 am »
Not actually a DIY but as good as:-

I've entered a Dinner Dart to York on the Friday (27th Nov) from Delph - Askern - Barton-on-Humber - Howden - York.  MSeries is meeting me at Askern.  If anyone fancies joining us I estimate we'll be leaving Lakeside Cafe, Askern at about 12:00 and Christine's Diner Howden at about 16:30 (those timings are approximate and subject to MSeries' approval!  I suppose the weather and accessibility of the Humber Bridge might have a say on the day). 

Riding into York during the evening rush hour sounds better with a big bunch especially if someone up front knows where we are going - so not me!

NB Christine's Diner might have a different name, but it's at the A614/B1228 junction

The Lakeside cafe is on Spa Pool Road in Askern, near A19/Station Road traffic lights

See you there

« Reply #16 on: 12 November, 2009, 11:26:02 am »
Approved ! Christines= Redbeck Cafe=Hopkinsons Fair Deals. I know York well enough to be able to find the racecourse, but I may have to detour to a friends house to pick up my bag drop bag.

« Reply #17 on: 16 November, 2009, 12:42:24 pm »

I might be up for this ride. I had intended doing the November WARTY, but I think I'd prefer this if it isn't tooooooo windy. 

PM me if it is still on :thumbsup:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #18 on: 03 December, 2009, 10:56:03 pm »
19 December - Dick Turpin's Day Out 200

Newish permanent taking in the delights of Suffolk and Essex.  Start location TBC.

fboab and I plan to do this.  Any others interested in joining these highwaymen in their cunning plan to plunder the tea and coffee shops of east England of their wares?

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #19 on: 24 December, 2009, 01:34:33 pm »
LEJOG (preferred, but will consider JOGLE).

Week commencing 6 September 2010
1400km
BR pace (4.5 days) preferred but will consider 7x200.

PM me if interested.  As the AUK perm organiser, I'll take on the responsibility of logistics etc.

« Reply #20 on: 26 December, 2009, 02:56:18 pm »

Newish permanent taking in the delights of Suffolk and Essex.  Start location TBC.

fboab and I plan to do this.  Any others interested in joining these highwaymen in their cunning plan to plunder the tea and coffee shops of east England of their wares?

Following weather-induced cancellation, I will be re-visiting this on Wednesday 30th.
Any company welcome, as otherwise I'll have to eat all the mince pies myself, and a full pint of Sloe Vodka on my own could be a Bad Thing.

Chris S

« Reply #21 on: 26 December, 2009, 05:15:20 pm »

Following weather-induced cancellation, I will be re-visiting this on Wednesday 30th.
Any company welcome, as otherwise I'll have to eat all the mince pies myself, and a full pint of Sloe Vodka on my own could be a Bad Thing.

I'm keeping a really close eye on the weather forecasts for next week. Still keeping options open for the 2nd, but there's Snow and Ice in the forecast from Wednesday onwards  ::-).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #22 on: 28 December, 2009, 07:51:08 pm »
I'm looking at a ride from the Ox-Did-Reading area on sat 2nd Jan (or possiblity of Sun 3rd). Very weather dependent.

Current plan is The MC200 on the Saturday, probably heading for Hungerford first for 10-ish. If I get any responses I'll start a thread (or add to the MC200 perm topic. or something). Best to PM me to get my attention, as it's short notice.  [or txt if you have it!]

Edit: Well, we're on (me+DrBru). A-roading to Hungerford, hope the Cotswolds don't ice up when it gets dark ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #23 on: 30 January, 2010, 04:13:21 pm »
Poor Student - Sat 6 February 2010 - Oxford Pear Tree start - 7-8am. 12/13 hr pace.  Will move if weather unfavourable.

PM if interested (or post to Poor Student thread).

« Reply #24 on: 31 January, 2010, 03:37:59 pm »
LEJOG (preferred, but will consider JOGLE).

Week commencing 6 September 2009

If I had a time machine I'd be up for it!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."