Author Topic: Deterring a Cat from Pooing in the Garden  (Read 10679 times)

Deterring a Cat from Pooing in the Garden
« on: 15 April, 2009, 10:56:21 am »
We've just made a nice vegetable bed, and planted some stuff, and along comes a neighbour's cat and starts regularly digging in there for his/her daily poo. >:(  :sick:

Obviously, I could mount a 24-hour vigil, armed with a water pistol, but actually that's not practical.  Are there any good ways of deterring cats while I'm not there to police the garden?

border-rider

Re: Deterring a Cat from Pooing in the Garden
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2009, 10:57:49 am »
Evil Cat

I think that's almost the same problem :)

« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2009, 11:00:36 am »
Large garden netting like THIS STUFF staked 4" to 6" above the bed.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2009, 11:01:26 am »
This is the answer you need.

The only way to keep a cat out is another cat.  Even a dog won't do it, though the cats in our garden tended to stay near fences & trees they could flee up if a greyhound suddenly appeared ;D

Getting there...

bikenerd

« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2009, 11:01:59 am »
Lion piss from the Zoo?

My Dad used to have this problem.  He bought one of those ultrasonic devices which worked for a while.

If it was me, I'd pick up the cat poo and post it through the neighbours letterbox (in a plastic bag).  "Your cat left something in my garden".  :demon:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2009, 11:04:33 am »
Sprinkle Mint Imperials all over the veg patch.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #6 on: 15 April, 2009, 11:06:49 am »
Thanks, everyone, and sorry to partially duplicate when the subject's mostly been covered elsewhere.

Can't do the post back routine, as we don't know who owns the offending cat.  Threw a stone vaguely in his direction and he had an undignified and partly-abortive scramble to get out over the fence, so that's some deterrent.

The mesh looks like a good idea.

Chris S

« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2009, 11:10:33 am »
Super Soaker XP-240: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

Probably won't work as a deterrent, but great therapy for you  :thumbsup:.

red marley

« Reply #8 on: 15 April, 2009, 11:11:45 am »
Lion Poo (or a Lion) can do the trick - see Cat Deterrents (silent roar).

We used to have this problem, but since foxes have colonised our garden, the cats stay well away. The foxes are great - they keep the cats out, eat the any rats they find, sunbathe while we eat lunch in the garden and produce ever-so-cute cubs who play in our garden.

« Reply #9 on: 15 April, 2009, 11:15:48 am »

The mesh looks like a good idea.

Trust me, it'll work.  So, that's the cat sorted, now for the slugs, aphids, beetles, mould and mildew.  ;D
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 15 April, 2009, 11:23:11 am »
Cat poo composts well, but make sure it's well rotted before you use it, and don't put it on fruit or vegetables!
Getting there...

« Reply #11 on: 15 April, 2009, 12:09:34 pm »
What I have used in the past with a lot of success is old rose prunings. I used to lay them where I had bare earth in the garden and they worked a treat. At my old house I had several rose bushes so I had a ready supply. I don't have any roses in the garden at this new house so I am keeping an eye out for a neighbour with roses in case I need any. At the moment I don't have any problems, the only cat that visits only uses the rough ground at the top of the garden.

This subject is here as well

Cat p*ss.... - Cycle Chat

« Reply #12 on: 15 April, 2009, 01:02:00 pm »
Short answer id you won't. We use netting spread and supported about 4-6 inches off the ground to deter them (including our own) in the veg patch. But they'll find somewhere.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #13 on: 15 April, 2009, 02:42:44 pm »
The thing I've found (entirely by accident) works best is pelleted chicken manure. I noticed that after I sprinkled one bed with it cats stopped using it as a toilet but carried on using the other beds. I now sprinkle it on all the beds and the cats seem to be going elsewhere.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

Fi

« Reply #14 on: 15 April, 2009, 04:55:29 pm »
I have used a pressure powered water pistol on a persistant cat (Jingles).  It took about six weeks of firing at it before it got the hint - it's very bold indeed.  It now walks through my garden,  but never stops to investigate anything and trots away when it sees me in the street.  I feel a bit mean, but it's owners aren't in the least bit bothered.

« Reply #15 on: 15 April, 2009, 06:45:26 pm »
I have used a pressure powered water pistol on a persistant cat (Jingles).  It took about six weeks of firing at it before it got the hint - it's very bold indeed. 

Why should it feel threatened?  You're on first name terms.  ;D

« Reply #16 on: 15 April, 2009, 06:53:41 pm »
The only way to keep a cat out is another cat.  

We've got a cat and now she and the neighbour's cats crap in our garden  >:(  Every so often one of us spots the other cat in the garden and runs out hissing / with a glass of water at the ready. Cat runs away, but not for long.
Holly leaves help, but make weeding less fun.

« Reply #17 on: 15 April, 2009, 08:40:37 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think we'll try

a) the lion pellet idea
b) pelleted chicken dung
c) netting

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #18 on: 16 April, 2009, 08:06:47 am »
Pepper dust?

You can get it in most garden centres and, surprisingly, at least one pet shop that I know of.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #19 on: 16 April, 2009, 02:11:16 pm »
I have used a pressure powered water pistol on a persistant cat (Jingles).  It took about six weeks of firing at it before it got the hint - it's very bold indeed.  It now walks through my garden,  but never stops to investigate anything and trots away when it sees me in the street.  I feel a bit mean, but it's owners aren't in the least bit bothered.

It might be misconstrued if any one hears your neighbour complaining about you squirting her pussy too often.

« Reply #20 on: 16 April, 2009, 05:06:25 pm »
 ;D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #21 on: 16 April, 2009, 10:04:07 pm »
Two pages to go NSFW.  Slackers.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #22 on: 16 April, 2009, 10:39:28 pm »
I have used a pressure powered water pistol on a persistant cat (Jingles). 
We have two sitting by windows overlooking the garden. Just lifting the pistol works on all the local cats now.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #23 on: 20 April, 2009, 11:15:49 pm »
My neighbours fur ball cat is always crapping depositing on my garden - but where do you buy Strycnine from???

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #24 on: 21 April, 2009, 01:20:09 am »
My neighbours fur ball cat is always crapping depositing on my garden - but where do you buy Strycnine from???

I'm sure one you've done away with your wife, that pesky councillor, the jobsworth at the Employment Exchange and the nosy neighbours you'll have some left over.
It is simpler than it looks.