Author Topic: Getting to Newhaven and back  (Read 2541 times)

Phil W

Getting to Newhaven and back
« on: 29 July, 2019, 01:23:18 pm »
Due to the Kings Cross works on Sat 24th I couldn't get a return from my home station to Brighton so have looked at other options.  The cheapest I can find is a £39.20 return that is direct from Luton Airport Parkway to Brighton.  This compares very well to a single from my home station which is £33 something.

Diesel has informed me he might be getting a train to Three Bridges then cycling from there.  Since my return ticket has no restrictions about breaking the journey I might plan to get off at Three Bridges and join him on his 52km ride over the South Downs to Newhaven.

It roughly looks like starting the ride from Three Bridges would be around 15:15 on Thu 15th.  Is anyone else cycling down and might be passing that way around that time?

On the way back for me, it'll probably be off ferry and over for breakfast at Brighton then train back to Luton Airport Parkway.  Then the last bit of riding back home.

Diesel

• or Richard
Re: Getting to Newhaven and back
« Reply #1 on: 29 July, 2019, 01:31:34 pm »
Yes, proposed route from Three Bridges here - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30675785

No plans for the return from Newhaven yet, I'll see how I feel....

Phil W

« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2019, 01:54:55 pm »
Diesel, see you at Three Bridges tomorrow afternoon.  See everyone else, a bit later, at the Flying Fish https://www.flyingfishdenton.co.uk/ for some pre ferry food, beer, and chat.

« Reply #3 on: 14 August, 2019, 05:37:48 pm »
I was thinking of catching the same train (1:12 from MK, down to just £8.50 advance if booked today), but am driving my son and a car load of his gear to Nottingham during the day, so am on the train which arrives at the harbour at 9:12. Might go to the pub for a pint and see you all.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #4 on: 15 August, 2023, 06:46:38 pm »
Four years later, I’ve been copying a Google maps fewer hills cycling route from Milton Keynes to the Flying Fish in Newhaven onto ridewithgps, and realising there is a lot of unpaved byway stretches. The train is £34.15 one way, £34.25 return, but return trains are unlikely coz of the bank hol strikes. I’ll get to the pub one way or another though 🤣
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!