Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 338649 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #425 on: 21 December, 2018, 08:37:18 pm »
Think it looks for the cache. I have refreshed pages and they update fine, usually with other riders' scores updated.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #426 on: 22 December, 2018, 11:05:17 pm »
Bagged a few more tiles. Max cluster up to 397. I now have four 10x squares.

vv_181222 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #427 on: 23 December, 2018, 09:07:30 pm »
And after today's pootle the max cluster went over 400 and another size 10 square was added to the collection.

vv_181223 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #428 on: 24 December, 2018, 12:22:21 pm »
Looks like I'm in for a ride to Dunkard's corner, and possible short walk towards Polecat end...   

Fullscreen capture 24122018 091310 by a oxon, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #429 on: 26 December, 2018, 03:59:22 pm »
Nice 95km ride today. Picked off 11 tiles that increased my max cluster from 296 to 378. Discovered some really lovely lanes I've never ridden down before, and spotted some interesting sights including a lifesize carved wooden hippo.

Missed out on another couple of tiles due to part of my planned route turning out to be along a private farm track and although I tried to work a way round it, I missed the target tiles. Curses. Oh well, I'm planning to go out again tomorrow to pick off a few more so I'll tweak the route to take in those two. With another one I've got on my hit list for tomorrow, that will also take my max square up from 10 to 12.

Particularly pleased to pick off this one:

Had planned to go through Eastwell Manor but it turns out the road is verboten to bikes. Luckily, by riding right up to the gate, I went *just* far enough to take me into the target tile. Yay!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #430 on: 26 December, 2018, 04:30:46 pm »
A bit of comedy off-roading meant that my max square unexpectedly went all the way up to 11  :thumbsup:

6375 tiles, average of 4.454 km per tile
Max square 11x11
Max Cluster: 409

« Reply #431 on: 26 December, 2018, 07:43:24 pm »
bagged some 150 new tiles over Christmas so I managed to climb 1 place in the rankings. Next rider has about 2500 tiles advantage so that'll be difficult.
In the meantime also increased my cluster to 3251, a couple of extra strategic tiles and some serious increases are possible again.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #432 on: 26 December, 2018, 08:49:58 pm »
I seem to have leapfrogged Greenbank's 'max cluster' score* with today's ride. But I ran into a problem which is blogged about elsewhere... there is a tile by Ousefleet that can only be reached by walking to the end of someone's garden. I'll have to make a trip back with a bottle of wine I think. The previous "cycling tile explorer" just asked nicely, but I can't see that being okay very frequently.

Cluster up to 531.

*Greenbank's max square is significantly higher than mine to be fair.

« Reply #433 on: 26 December, 2018, 11:17:21 pm »
Just got the suscription asa Christmas present from my wife. 4,,968 tiles, 8*8 square and max cluster of 333. A visit to 2 squares now planned for Saturday which should increase to 11*11.
Oh what fun!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #434 on: 27 December, 2018, 02:17:20 pm »
I tentatively loaded my data into VeloViewer to see what this Max Square stuff was all about...

Seems to be a ploy to encourage me to cycle around more of what can only be described as 'Brimingham'.  Bah!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #435 on: 27 December, 2018, 03:09:23 pm »
I tentatively loaded my data into VeloViewer to see what this Max Square stuff was all about...

Seems to be a ploy to encourage me to cycle around more of what can only be described as 'Brimingham'.  Bah!

If you pay, it'll upload your complete Strava history, meaning you've probably covered most of Brum already. So you can concentrate on riding anywhere else...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #436 on: 27 December, 2018, 03:25:51 pm »
Oh well, I'm planning to go out again tomorrow to pick off a few more so I'll tweak the route to take in those two. With another one I've got on my hit list for tomorrow, that will also take my max square up from 10 to 12.

I am a bloody idiot. On today's ride, I decided to take a shortcut home rather than stop off for coffee and cake as I'd originally planned - the detour to the cafe would have nabbed an awkward tile I've been aiming for. Curses!

None the less, it was a very enjoyable ride, and at least I managed to pick off the two tiles I missed yesterday - I've also discovered some seriously lovely lanes I've never ridden before, partly because they're a bit 'cross country' so rather lumpy, but absolutely worth it. Some to bear in mind for future audax route planning...

Bagged another 12 tiles to increase my max cluster from 378 to 425, and by virtue of my max square shifting position slightly, it's now up from 10x10 to 13x13. Annoyingly, if I'd got that tile I missed, it would be up to 15x15.

My coverage of East Kent is starting to look quite healthy - I've got another couple of routes worked out that will fill in most of the gaps around Folkestone and Dover, and I've still got to find time for an MTB outing to Sandwich to tick off that cluster, but it won't be long before I'll have to start expanding westwards...

This is proving a much more satisfying way to spend my Christmas break than slogging round pointless miles to do the Festive 500.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #437 on: 27 December, 2018, 03:33:53 pm »

If you pay, it'll upload your complete Strava history, meaning you've probably covered most of Brum already. So you can concentrate on riding anywhere else...

Nahh, I've got the urban equivalent of the coastal town problem.  The overwhelming majority of my rides are to the south and east, avoiding the conurbation.  Which means that to expand the square I either need to cover quite large distances to get to places I haven't already been, or venture into the nearby areas to the north (and the Solihull area) that I've been avoiding for good reason.

There appear to be a couple of low-hanging tiles that I've missed because they're dead-ended by motorways, and some scope for expanding the square further into the bastard hills to the west.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #438 on: 27 December, 2018, 04:53:01 pm »
Today's tile bagging included a short walk in a field near Banchory:

vv_field_walk by The Pingus, on Flickr

6384 tiles, average of 4.461 km per tile
Max square 11x11 
Max Cluster: 428 

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #439 on: 27 December, 2018, 04:58:42 pm »

Nahh, I've got the urban equivalent of the coastal town problem.  The overwhelming majority of my rides are to the south and east, avoiding the conurbation.  Which means that to expand the square I either need to cover quite large distances to get to places I haven't already been, or venture into the nearby areas to the north (and the Solihull area) that I've been avoiding for good reason.

There appear to be a couple of low-hanging tiles that I've missed because they're dead-ended by motorways, and some scope for expanding the square further into the bastard hills to the west.

Sounds like you're hooked. And so quickly.
 ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #440 on: 27 December, 2018, 05:32:50 pm »
Sounds like you're hooked. And so quickly.
 ;D

I'm too ill to go anywhere near a bike, so peering at maps is a natural proxy activity.  Currently seeing how much I can improve my score using my collection of pre-2014 GPX files that never made it to Strava.  This involves tedious cropping, because Strava doesn't handle single Tracks with a gap for a train journey gracefully, and gets gremlins if you feed it after midnight.

« Reply #441 on: 27 December, 2018, 07:47:17 pm »
90k for me today to pick up 14 tiles SW of Nottingham.  A bit urban but very quiet on the roads.

Bumped up my max cluster from 1450 to 1489 and I now have two off 32*32 squares.

Rutland Water is next on the list to repeat some pre-Strava bits.  It looks like I should be able to get the tiles without traipsing all the way along the peninsula.

« Reply #442 on: 28 December, 2018, 04:28:56 pm »
Why does VV thin out a gpx track so much?  (edit.  server space I guess) Is there anyway to change the way it does this?

Ride today was around Oxford, and though I'd get the tile alongside Whytam woods, but VV has diddled me out of it. OK it was cutting it bit fine, but even so...

From Strava - note track on road...

Fullscreen capture 28122018 161822 by a oxon, on Flickr

From VV - gpx track is a very approximate representation...  and so I don't get the tile.

Fullscreen capture 28122018 161738 by a oxon, on Flickr

I suppose, that I now know to beware of this on, these 'close' bends...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #443 on: 28 December, 2018, 04:45:53 pm »
Why does VV thin out a gpx track so much?  Is there anyway to change the way it does this?

Ride today was around Oxford, and though I'd get the tile alongside Whytam woods, but VV has diddled me out of it. OK it was cutting it bit fine, but even so...

From Strava - note track on road...

Fullscreen capture 28122018 161822 by a oxon, on Flickr

From VV - gpx track is a very approximate representation...  and so I don't get the tile.

Fullscreen capture 28122018 161738 by a oxon, on Flickr

In veloviewer, click on the ride track, and it will open a tab with a detailed view of the route. This may get you the extra tile. By default, veloviewer downloads a truncated "preview" of the route, which it then uses to generate tiles. This truncated route is usually enough, but occasionally you will have to do the click on trace thing to make it load the full detail. Note, this is a double edged sword. In some cases you lose a tile, in others you gain.

Good luck.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #444 on: 28 December, 2018, 05:25:11 pm »
OK, thanks, that seemed to do the trick.   :)

An alternative way to get this tile was to go in and out of the park & ride entrance, so I've been spared that joy...   ;)

First time ever, I downloaded full gpx onto my old etrex which then truncated to 500pts, and so I lost my track in N Oxford, and had to try ridewgps on my phone*

*couldn't find track-up setting, which was a pain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #445 on: 28 December, 2018, 07:51:34 pm »
Got my max square up to 11x11 by lovingly curating my recordings of pre-2014 rides (which includes an assortment of local "I'm not going that way again" discoveries from shortly after we moved to Brum) into a format Strava can handle.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #446 on: 28 December, 2018, 08:50:49 pm »
160k for me today picking up 26 tiles around Eyebrook reservoir and Rutland Water.  It was ridiculously mild.  There were probably more efficient routes to get the RW tiles but in my book a lap of the lake beats fiddly in-and-outs even if I did get a bit beaten up on some of the rougher tracks.  Still had a couple of slippery in-and-out bridleways elsewhere which was 'entertaining' in the dark with dyno lights and 28mm slicks.  No increase in max square but max cluster has jumped from 1489 to 1612.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #447 on: 29 December, 2018, 03:03:23 pm »
100km today - but cut the ride short because that wind was utterly exhausting. Expanded max square to 15x15 but had to walk into a field to do it. I was wondering if it would be easy enough to add the explorer tiles to the map folder on my Garmin Touring. It would have made life easier if I didn't have to keep checking my phone to see if I was in the right place.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #448 on: 29 December, 2018, 03:26:39 pm »
...I was wondering if it would be easy enough to add the explorer tiles to the map folder on my Garmin Touring. It would have made life easier if I didn't have to keep checking my phone to see if I was in the right place.

I put the tiles of interest on my GPS via Basecamp. Each tile is a separate track. Then I set them to 'Show on map' via the Track Manager on the GPS (do this before you set off!).

ETA - you could investigate joining tiles into one track in Basecamp.

FETA - like this. The tiles in green are one track made by joining all the tracks for the individual tiles. I made it one row at a time. and had to move parts of the constructed tracks to hide diagonal lines.

tiles_example by The Pingus, on Flickr

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #449 on: 30 December, 2018, 05:51:20 pm »
The holes are getting filled in. Max square up to 13. It may take a while to increase that by much.

vv_181230 by The Pingus, on Flickr

6412 tiles, average of 4.454 km per tile
Max square 13x13
Max Cluster: 459