Author Topic: Great Britain gets its own 5,000 km-plus ultracycling race  (Read 26673 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Great Britain gets its own 5,000 km-plus ultracycling race
« on: 22 February, 2017, 08:37:16 pm »

Could be fun, but I need to figure out if I can actually get enough leave from work to do it

rob

Baa Baa Bikepack
« Reply #1 on: 23 February, 2017, 01:31:47 pm »

Re: Baa Baa Bikepack
« Reply #2 on: 23 February, 2017, 02:34:08 pm »
I saw that the other day.  It would be a tough ride, both physically and mentally. 
If I was going to do a ride of that length, I'd rather go a bit further afield, like ride to Central Asia or East Africa!

rob

« Reply #3 on: 23 February, 2017, 02:47:26 pm »
I'd ride past my front door before heading out round the South - prob a bit over half way.   Not sure I'd go back out, though.

Can't really spare 2 weeks leave at the moment.   Maybe in a few years.

« Reply #4 on: 23 February, 2017, 03:36:14 pm »
I like the name of the shorter southern one.
Respect to anyone who completes it.  Not sure they needed the South Downs Way bit to make it hard! :)

« Reply #5 on: 23 February, 2017, 05:20:27 pm »
I don't think that the organisers understand the Cycle Racing on the Highways law, which would mean any " competitor" would be breaking the law - and likely be uninsured. Looking at the website it seems that British Cycling have positioned themselves well away from this.
Why should that concern me/us - because every breach of the law is a nail in the coffin of real racing - road or time trial. There are plenty out there who will seize on evidence that the laws are being flouted in a quest to stop racing on the roads all together.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6 on: 24 February, 2017, 09:34:34 am »
Though it does say "against the clock", which the organisers presumably believe covers their collective arse.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7 on: 24 February, 2017, 02:34:35 pm »
Though it does say "against the clock", which the organisers presumably believe covers their collective arse.

I'd enjoy reading the police notification forms for this "time trial" - that also states that " we all set off together"

There are some good, well covered and responsible sportive organisers who do things right ( and I say that as someone who in general doesn't ride them), but there are others.

It's a bit like a fairly local triathlon club, who meet in the same village as a CTT registered cycling club. Cycling club runs properly notified evening time trials. Triathlon club runs ad hoc timed races on nearby roads. Guess what happens when locals complain about the triathletes racing on the country lanes - you've got it, the only " event" notified is the cycling club one. There is an excellent, but slightly strained relationship with the police already, which with some senior officers goes along the lines of " if I could find a good reason to stop this racing...." The triathletes " easier to ask forgiveness than permission" ( their words) really isn't helping. NB this specifically refers to one triathlon club, not all triathletes.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 24 February, 2017, 08:13:50 pm »
I don't think that the organisers understand the Cycle Racing on the Highways law, which would mean any " competitor" would be breaking the law - and likely be uninsured. Looking at the website it seems that British Cycling have positioned themselves well away from this.
Why should that concern me/us - because every breach of the law is a nail in the coffin of real racing - road or time trial. There are plenty out there who will seize on evidence that the laws are being flouted in a quest to stop racing on the roads all together.
I'm glad to read this!

When I read their comments about BC, I thought either _I_ was misunderstanding their position, or THEY were misunderstanding the law!

It probably won't be a big enough event to create much bad PR, but it's still a bit depressing ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #9 on: 06 March, 2017, 10:46:35 pm »
 ???
Such negatives , why??  Read the website and look at the world class riders, already entered. The distance, climbs and route are epic.  The organiser, is bringing an awesome event together, hopefully it will motivate more people to cycle and bring positive publicity, to true endurance athletes & it's in the UK. Think I'm in, as a DIY  :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 08 March, 2017, 12:58:27 pm »
???
Such negatives , why??
Pointing out probable law-breaking, that's all.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

dim

« Reply #11 on: 02 July, 2017, 07:05:36 am »
http://road.cc/content/news/217860-great-britain-gets-its-own-5000-km-plus-ultracycling-race-called-baa-baa

Race against the clock - 1 Stage - The Longest Unsupported Bikepack Event in Europe.
No prizes, just honour.
June 29th 2018
3329 miles(5340 km)
197965ft climbing (60,340m)
70 of Great Britains 200 hardest climbs in one event
3 Countries
3 Capital Cities
12 National Parks
​Where you sleep is up to you.
​It is a small island? Yeah right, try riding round it on a bike...Now is your chance.

snip:
Race starts in Chester in June 2018 and will take in 70 of Britain's hardest climbs

reat Britain will next year get its own ultracycling race for unsupported riders – and clocking in at more than 5,000 kilometres and with more than 60 kilometres of climbing the unsupported event, called the Baa Baa Bikepack race, could be a cracker.

It begins in Chester on 29 June 2018 and follows a clockwise route up to the north of Scotland, back down through the east of England and along the south coast into Devon and Cornwall, then into Wales and, via the Brecon Beacons and Snowdonia, back to the start.

Along the way it will visit three capital cities – Edinburgh, London and Cardiff – and riders will also have to tackle 70 of Great Britain’s 200 toughest climbs, listed here (link is external)together with more details of the route.

Ascents tackled include the Hardknott Pass, Honister Pass, Glen Coe, Bealach Na Ba, the Buttertubs Pass, Ditchling Beacon, Zig Zag Hill, Gold Hill, Haytor Vale, Cheddar Gorge, Caerphilly Mountain, The Tumble, Gospel Pass and The Devil's Staircase.

According to organisers, “We expect the winner to finish the course in about 12-13 days, sleeping wherever and whenever they can.”

There’s a bit of a twist when it comes to the route, however, which takes in 12 National Parks.

“The course also has 100 miles off road across the South Downs Trail which adds an extra element to the ride as bike selection will not favour a TT or fast road setup,” they say.

Already, 30 riders have signed up since the event was announced last week, including entrants from the United States, South Africa and Turkey, and organisers say that “a lot of the initial interest [is] coming from Transcontinental Race and Trans America Race competitors.”

There is also a shorter event, named The Shandy Drinkers, on a 3,200 kilometre course that misses out Scotland for those who may be pushed for time.

As well as individuals, both events are also open to people riding as a pair, who will be allowed to draft one another.

Find out more here: www.bikepack.cc
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Great Britain gets its own 5,000 km-plus ultracycling race
« Reply #12 on: 02 July, 2017, 07:47:39 am »
 :o
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #13 on: 02 July, 2017, 10:03:46 am »
Wtf have they mentioned Ditchling beacon along with those monsters!! Lol but it's a bit too extreme for me ;)

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #14 on: 02 July, 2017, 11:25:13 am »
Time limit?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

« Reply #15 on: 02 July, 2017, 12:28:16 pm »
The web site lacks quite a bit of fairly important info.

I'm possibly being made redundant at the end of the year to lead a life of sloth and idleness, so I might actually be up for this in 2018.

Then again, maybe it's just the cider talking  ;D
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #16 on: 02 July, 2017, 12:34:02 pm »
12-13 days to do 5000 hilly Km? Maybe a bit optimistic... I mean, yes, a bunch of people will be able to do that, but not 70.

I see the point in including some of the best climbs in the country... but 70 seems a bit excessive

« Reply #17 on: 02 July, 2017, 12:53:51 pm »
At Audax speeds for a ride of that length (200km/day) you're talking 26 days!  8)

« Reply #18 on: 02 July, 2017, 02:31:22 pm »
There's usually a huge spread of times on these events. Looking at the results of the recent 2500 km Transatlantic Way, the first rider finished after 6 days and the last after 16 days, with most in the 8-10 day range. So expect maybe double that for this event.

(given it's completely unsupported, there's not much need for an official minimum speed, although you may not have anyone welcoming you to the finish if you're the last rider)

« Reply #19 on: 04 July, 2017, 08:25:18 pm »
Oh dear - now I have read about this ride, thinking of entering. One thing about doing a lot of coast, plenty of B&Bs so not too much bivvying.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #20 on: 04 July, 2017, 08:30:48 pm »
Looks like a lot of horrible main roads.

Phil W

« Reply #21 on: 04 July, 2017, 09:37:10 pm »
Quite a list of riders already. Who are the organisers , seem a little coy with that info. Also note they say clients at bottom of pages, so sounds like a commercial operation.

« Reply #22 on: 04 July, 2017, 10:00:57 pm »
Read the website and look at the world class riders, already entered

I cannot lie, that's why I'm thinking of signing up. Me being a world class rider and all.

Thin of the kudos when I cross the finish line sometimes in 2019...

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #23 on: 07 October, 2017, 02:39:49 pm »
According to the website this event has apparently been cancelled!

http://www.bikepack.cc/

Andy Corless

« Reply #24 on: 07 October, 2017, 02:55:51 pm »
I'm not at all surprised. For a while now Ive felt very uneasy with the whole nature of the longest long distance events.  You have people boasting about their levels of sleep deprivation on PBP, hallucinating etc, and yet they are on public roads. If there was a car driving event with drivers so exhausted they were seeing snakes in the road we would all be outraged. In a race, amongst the top riders it will be the one who sleeps the least who wins.