Author Topic: Shimano crankset retaining clip  (Read 1349 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Shimano crankset retaining clip
« on: 05 June, 2022, 03:12:39 pm »
I have a broken retaining clip on the LH crank (second hand so can't send it back) - are these a universal part or specific to the crankset?

I can see them available on e-bay etc, but don't want to wade into a morass of finding the right one if I don't need to.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Shimano crankset retaining clip
« Reply #1 on: 05 June, 2022, 03:25:17 pm »
I have no idea what you are talking about.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 05 June, 2022, 03:29:12 pm »
If it's a standard hollowtech crankset I'm pretty sure they are universal.  I'm not sure they are absolutely necessary - rather a security thing (like front fork lips)?
The sound of one pannier flapping

ElyDave

« Reply #4 on: 05 June, 2022, 03:43:09 pm »
If it's a standard hollowtech crankset I'm pretty sure they are universal.  I'm not sure they are absolutely necessary - rather a security thing (like front fork lips)?

yes, standard hollowtech, thanks. 

I was wondering about the need for it as well, but for a fiver, not really worth quibbling over.

« Reply #5 on: 05 June, 2022, 04:12:16 pm »
May help prevent crushing of the spindle by over tightening apparently.

Ah OK - makes sense.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 05 June, 2022, 08:16:42 pm »
Mine never had one and, 12 years later, seems none the worse for it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #7 on: 05 June, 2022, 09:24:04 pm »
The clip acts as a anti rotation feature on the two crank bolts and the pin engages in the hole in the crank arm to act as a retention feature if the bolts are not tightened, assuming the pin has been pushed into the hole. All features are more to do with not losing bolts or crank arm when the system is in transit or has not been tightened and I see them as an assembly aid more than an in use essential. The clip will not protect against damage to the splines in the crank arm if ridden with lose or undone bolts.

The clips pin cannot be used if the cranks are being installed on a handbike.

The clips pin often gets damaged by trying to dismantle the cranks and not realising the pin needs to be disengaged to release the crank arm (usually when changing a BB).

« Reply #8 on: 07 June, 2022, 02:33:43 pm »
May help prevent crushing of the spindle by over tightening apparently.

Ah OK - makes sense.

Just fitted a hollowtech crankset and the retaining clip is purely a "safety" device - it's not under compression (it's actually loose) when the left arm is fully torqued.

« Reply #9 on: 07 June, 2022, 02:38:24 pm »

yes, standard hollowtech, thanks. 

I was wondering about the need for it as well, but for a fiver, not really worth quibbling over.
I've got at least a couple of old cranksets at home.
PM me a postal addy and I'll stick one in the post this evening.

ElyDave

« Reply #10 on: 07 June, 2022, 05:43:41 pm »
Thanks, but no need, I found it for £1.89 online at a place that also had the chainring i was after at a decent price.

« Reply #11 on: 07 June, 2022, 05:44:21 pm »
I always just throw these away.

« Reply #12 on: 07 June, 2022, 10:43:00 pm »
They (slightly) preload the bearings during assembly and discourage the left crank walking off the end after (very) long periods of time*. They also act as a dust cap.

They come in various different lengths. Older cranksets had shorter ones, but I think it’s fine to mix them. MTB and GRX ones have a hole all the way through.

(* A guy on some forum somewhere claimed the latter actually happened to people he knows)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #13 on: 07 June, 2022, 10:50:04 pm »
They (slightly) preload the bearings during assembly and discourage the left crank walking off the end after (very) long periods of time*. They also act as a dust cap.

They come in various different lengths. Older cranksets had shorter ones, but I think it’s fine to mix them. MTB and GRX ones have a hole all the way through.

(* A guy on some forum somewhere claimed the latter actually happened to people he knows)

I think you are talking about the plastic pre-load end-cap, which you do up with the plastic tool.
That has the function of setting the pre-load on the bearings, to remove any lateral play.

The thing being discussed here is the little pin thing that sits in the slot in the NDS crank, where the bolts go.  It's a fairly useless item which both bolts pass through, and has a pin which sits into a hole in the spindle.  I don't think it has any actual function in normal use of a properly installed crankset.

The only thing I can see it doing is preventing the crank actually falling off if the bolts come loose.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #14 on: 08 June, 2022, 03:45:49 pm »
The first MTB HollowTech2 crankset I had (Deore M530 IIRC) did not have this safety clip.
All else is identical

The only difference I've noticed between different shimano implementations of their own standard is the length of the big plastic pretension bolt, MTB ones seem to be short, Road ones either long or Short, due to MTB you get bling 3rd party ones in the short form.