Author Topic: Best/biggest physical cycling shop  (Read 2440 times)

Best/biggest physical cycling shop
« on: 07 June, 2022, 02:07:27 pm »
I’d like to treat myself to a new jersey and some new cycling shoes.

Any recommendations on big retail outlets - a kind of cycling superstore- that have a good range of kit to try on?  Kind of like a physical version of wiggle…

I could just order boxes of stuff online, but that feels a bit unfair on all involved. As well as a lot of ffaff.

I’m in Essex but anywhere within 200k would be doable and provide a nice bike trip.

Very hard for me to judge whether places that have a lot of stuff in their online shop, actually have a lot of stuff at their real shop (e.g. Sjs).

Thanks in advance.

Re: Best/biggest physical cycling shop
« Reply #1 on: 07 June, 2022, 02:26:50 pm »
I think you'll be struggling to find a retailer carrying as much stock as Wiggle.
Condor in Grays Inn Road, London would be a good place to start though.
ETA - As others have said below, Decathlon - without the spendiness associated with Condor.
ETFA - Decathlon Surrey Quays in particular.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 07 June, 2022, 02:30:00 pm »
I don't think SJSC has much of a real shop these days, as they want you to call before visiting.  Sadly, the Internet has killed off the myriad Aladdin's caves I used to visit in the 90s, like Bearwood Cycles in Birmingham and Fred Williams in Wolverhampton (which still exists but is now appointment-only, like SJSC).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3 on: 07 June, 2022, 03:05:47 pm »
Don't laugh - you'll be surprised at the range Decathlon has - store at Lakeside near the Dartford Crossing.

... and with cycling shoes you just have to try them on a sizes are bonkers - as an example, I take a 45 ordinary shoe . . but 48 in Shimano cycling shoes - DHB shoes from Wiggle the sizes are smaller.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 07 June, 2022, 03:21:08 pm »
Was also going to suggest Decathlon.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5 on: 07 June, 2022, 03:21:39 pm »
Thanks all - I’m a huge fan of decathlon and have a lot of their stuff. Disappointing that the Chelmsford store (easily bikable) has closed, but lakeside is an option. They don’t have some of the posher brands tho and I’d like to see if there is an element of “you get what you pay for”.

Sad news on SJSC. I bought a tandem from them about 25 yrs ago and thought it was a great place. Really knowledgeable staff. Like Harry Potters wand shop - the guy looked at my wife and I for a few minutes, got us to stand over a bike, then told us to come back in a month when he’d built us what we needed!

Definitely agree on trying on cycling shoes, I had a similar experience with shimano. I would also like to find something wider, I find mine a little cramped in the toebox on long rides. 

Will take a look at Comdor as well, not a shop I’m familiar with so that will be something new, thanks.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6 on: 07 June, 2022, 03:23:55 pm »
If you want to look at posh, Rapha have physical stores. Though the only one I actually know of (perhaps the only one full stop?) is the outlet store (ends of ranges etc) in Shepton Mallet – probably a bit further than 200km from Essex.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 07 June, 2022, 03:28:22 pm »
Hasn't Rapha closed its 'Archive' stores?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #8 on: 07 June, 2022, 03:35:17 pm »
I'd missed that but you're right. They closed in 2020 – before covid even.

« Reply #9 on: 07 June, 2022, 03:47:43 pm »
Lake do wide shoes and they have excellent and accurate dimensions for the three different shoe lasts that they use on their website.  Condor are stockists of Lake.  I have a pair of Lake shoes and I wish I had bought them years ago.  They appear to be well made, they are not "cutting edge" designs (which means they might not look too dated in a few years) but they are not cheap, and Condor do tend to stock higher end stuff I believe (I have never been in, but I have used their webshop)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10 on: 07 June, 2022, 05:46:10 pm »
Was also going to suggest Decathlon.

Same here, cambridge not the biggest, but always worth a look
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #11 on: 07 June, 2022, 05:54:17 pm »
Not my favourite place by any means, but do you have an Evans Cycles nearby?

A

« Reply #12 on: 07 June, 2022, 07:32:47 pm »
Not my favourite place by any means, but do you have an Evans Cycles nearby?

A

Good suggestion- I’ll have a look. Lake shoes are on my potential wish list so condor t need the first port of call, especially as I’m in London next week. I can probably find an Evans in town as well.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #13 on: 07 June, 2022, 07:50:27 pm »
If you're going to Decathlon the mother ship at Surrey Quays is bigger than all the others IIRC. Nice part of London near the river too!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #14 on: 07 June, 2022, 08:22:17 pm »
Velo Schils Interbike, in Marks Tey, Colchester.

I've been there once many years ago, based in an industrial unit I think.

I wanted try some shoes recently and I think Sigma Sports, in Kingston SW London/Surrey, would have the biggest range. There is also Pearsons.

« Reply #15 on: 07 June, 2022, 08:28:46 pm »

I wanted try some shoes recently and I think Sigma Sports, in Kingston SW London/Surrey, would have the biggest range. There is also Pearsons.
Two ^ good calls.
The last two.

« Reply #16 on: 08 June, 2022, 08:32:57 am »

Was also going to suggest interbike. Try and get the dad though as he is brilliant and helpful. The various young uns can vary from helpful to not even acknowledged you've entered the shop

« Reply #17 on: 10 June, 2022, 04:51:04 pm »

Was also going to suggest interbike. Try and get the dad though as he is brilliant and helpful. The various young uns can vary from helpful to not even acknowledged you've entered the shop

The dad is called Patrick - he’s Belgian and I always found him a good chap.

« Reply #18 on: 10 June, 2022, 08:36:26 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions, extremely helpful and have given me lots of ideas as well as potential bike rides!

« Reply #19 on: 12 June, 2022, 05:57:16 pm »
I live near enough to wheelbase at Staveley so things are good in this respect. Fancy a short break cycling in the lakes then wheelbase would be a good place to visit too.

« Reply #20 on: 13 June, 2022, 01:43:53 pm »

Patrick Schils - he's not an ex-pro by any chance? The name seems to mean something  ???

« Reply #21 on: 15 June, 2022, 04:39:21 pm »

Patrick Schils - he's not an ex-pro by any chance? The name seems to mean something  ???

Yes, he is. He mostly rode for one rider sponsors in the U.K. , but also rode in Belgium.

rr

« Reply #22 on: 15 June, 2022, 11:09:10 pm »
You could also try cycle evolution in Colchester and the linked specialized concept store in Chelmsford.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 using Tapatalk