Author Topic: two frames to one bike or buy one expensive.  (Read 798 times)

two frames to one bike or buy one expensive.
« on: 28 June, 2022, 03:36:10 pm »
Hello.
I'm sure this has been thought about a million times. I want a steel frame road bike.
I like the look of Spa Cycles but they're expensive. So I'm thinking about buying a cheap Carrera Virtuoso bike from Halfords and later buying a steel frame and transferring everything across.
Or I save up for ages and buy a complete bike? Your thoughts Please?

Re: two frames to one bike or buy one expensive.
« Reply #1 on: 28 June, 2022, 03:42:36 pm »
Get the decent one, the carerra will need constant tinkering and the parts will prove to be so lacking in durability they'll fail before you transfer them. Have you taken a look second hand?

« Reply #2 on: 28 June, 2022, 03:46:30 pm »
Frames used to be the really expensive bit of a bike.

Now it is components.

Cheapest way to get half-decent components is to buy a half-decent bike that comes with the components. Buying separately is very costly.

So either buy an older bike that doesn't have a worn-out drivechain and wheels, or save up.

Don't buy something new and cheap.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3 on: 28 June, 2022, 03:49:22 pm »
Depends what your budget is of course, but the Carrera is pretty cheap components and putting them into a quality frame seems a bit like a false economy. Personally i'd rather save up and put quality components on the new frame. Bear in mind the Spa ethos allows a lot of customisation, have a chat with them and see what they can propose.

Good luck

A

« Reply #4 on: 01 July, 2022, 08:00:50 pm »
Spa isn't expensive it more that you are cheap  ;) Seriously Spa have a really good price point for quality, Carrera are cheap tat really, if you must use Halfwits/Halfrauds then look at Boardman as they are most reasonable quality/price.

« Reply #5 on: 01 July, 2022, 08:11:27 pm »
Unless it's changed Carrera were made by Merida who make loads of other brands frames so the frame should be decent enough, haven't looked at components so these may be downgraded

I'd say save and buy what you want though as inevitably when you come to swap certain bits won't fit/will need replacing/will give the wrong fit I.e too long a stem

Or buy the Carrera/similar ride it, have fun and while you are doing that save for the bike you really want. You then if you wish have a bike you can use for crap weather/leaving in higher risk areas

It may also help you decide what you want from your long term bike. I spent a lot for me on a fastbride oriented merida and it hardly gets used anywhere near as much as the Thorn Club tour I built up from second hand bits

« Reply #6 on: 01 July, 2022, 09:21:46 pm »
Look at the price of the whole bike with your preferred or dream frame because that is what it is going to cost you at the very least if you don't waste your money on junk or unwanted components on the way. If that is out of budget then think otherwise and look elsewhere.
Other options that might be cheaper is looking for a secondhand frame to build up, either with new bits or with carefully selected used gear. Joining the right club where people will offer you stuff that they're changing is not a bad way to go either, although you have to take what is offered and accept that it won't be the latest fad. Beggars can't be choosers holds true in this respect.
If you know what you want and know enough about the subject to trust your judgement buying secondhand, either a complete bike or components may be a suitable option.
I have frequently thought the way you are thinking but I have never made the sums add up. It will always be cheaper to get what you want/can afford straight from the start.

(FWIW I am a cheapskate; I have a few clubmates who have always passed me on nice stuff that just happens to be obsolete and not worth them selling. I can recommend this route to cycling pleasure if you can't afford your dreams!)

« Reply #7 on: 02 July, 2022, 11:24:03 am »
Or I save up for ages and buy a complete bike?
Is that ages without a bike?
I'd get one now, best you can, cheap or secondhand, pretty much any bike is going to be better than none.
How else do you travel around? My first decent bike was funded entirely from saving money on other transport.