Author Topic: clothing  (Read 7746 times)

Re: clothing
« Reply #25 on: 03 June, 2020, 09:03:46 am »
Tops are from Keela, using their ADS material, usually the ones with a short zip at the neck.  I wear the same shirts on the tourer, as I find the rear pockets in 'cycling' tops pointless.

Shorts are usually Endura without the liner.

Edited to correct the name of the fabric.

Veela is good quality kit.
I am surprised that it isn't better known.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #26 on: 03 June, 2020, 06:00:23 pm »
Tops are from Keela, using their ADS material, usually the ones with a short zip at the neck.  I wear the same shirts on the tourer, as I find the rear pockets in 'cycling' tops pointless.

Veela is good quality kit.
It's also a reasonable price, which is always a bonus.  I first heard about them from Peter Bray's book about kayaking across the Atlantic, then I found a couple of shirts in the Caving Cafe in Ingleton and have bought their shirts ever since.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 03 June, 2020, 07:30:56 pm »
Comment/question from a non-recumbenteer: In ye olden dayes, I'm guessing before the 60s or 70s (but even a little bit after this, cos I remember my mum buying me similar in about 1987 – but it was only from M&S!), cycling jerseys had pockets on the front. Are they or would they be if still made, any good for recumbent riding?

Which in turn makes me think of a kurta – loose fitting cotton shirt, common in South Asia, with pockets at the sides. IME great for hot weather riding (on knuprites) if not in too great a hurry. The pockets are on the sides and fairly deep, so should be accessible to recumbentists and I think probably sufficiently vertical and deep for things not to fall out. Possible airbrake effect though...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

redshift

• redshift home
« Reply #28 on: 03 June, 2020, 09:47:03 pm »
Whilst the shape might be ok, the fabric would be wringing wet within minutes.  The main problem I would observe with the shape of a kurta would be that anything loose fitting flops over the sides of the seat, and is in danger (on Speedy at least) of either being trashed by friction between the front tyres and the seat, or catching on the bottle cages. Filled pockets would make that worse.

I've met at least one rider who had a specially designed and homemade waterproof/breathable jacket which had only mesh (no outer material shell) at the rear, and Mike Burrows did a whole lecture at Cyclefest one year which went from bike design to sweaty-back-avoidance design in about 30 seconds.

The tops I wear are looser than a cycle top because they have no waist elastic, and are a tiny bit looser fitting than a typical running top, but they're not floppy - I wear the blokes version because I prefer the looser fit.  They have the added bonus that when you're in the pub for lunch, you don't appear to be quite so weird.
L
Windcheetah No. 176

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #29 on: 03 June, 2020, 10:46:26 pm »
I've met at least one rider who had a specially designed and homemade waterproof/breathable jacket which had only mesh (no outer material shell) at the rear

Was that fellow WC rider Fiona Neall?  I talked with her in years gone by about her approach to dealing with sweaty back syndrome.  She was quite the seamstress as I recall.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 03 June, 2020, 11:00:19 pm »
Comment/question from a non-recumbenteer: In ye olden dayes, I'm guessing before the 60s or 70s (but even a little bit after this, cos I remember my mum buying me similar in about 1987 – but it was only from M&S!), cycling jerseys had pockets on the front. Are they or would they be if still made, any good for recumbent riding?

There's this sort of thing:  https://www.reversegearinc.com/

redshift

• redshift home
« Reply #31 on: 04 June, 2020, 09:49:09 pm »
I've met at least one rider who had a specially designed and homemade waterproof/breathable jacket which had only mesh (no outer material shell) at the rear

Was that fellow WC rider Fiona Neall?  I talked with her in years gone by about her approach to dealing with sweaty back syndrome.  She was quite the seamstress as I recall.

It wasn't Fiona, it was a chap whose partner had sewn the jacket for him, bit I have no recollection of his name.
L
Windcheetah No. 176

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #32 on: 04 June, 2020, 10:06:30 pm »

There's this sort of thing:  https://www.reversegearinc.com/
In terms of pocketage, that's pretty much what my mum got me all those decades ago! IIRC from photos I've seen the jerseys back in ye oldene dayes of Coppi etc had them higher up, more breast pockets than 'stomach pockets', which probably works well for storing things but I'm guessing not so well for accessing while riding.

Meanwhile, I've just been for a run in a Decathlon mtb jersey I haven't worn for years. It has zipped pockets at the sides, kind of like hip pockets but a few inches higher up. Nothing would fall out, cos zips, and I reckon they're probably sufficiently at the side that you wouldn't be lying/sitting on them. But I might be wrong about that. Should be accessible while riding. Highly breathable fabric. From Decathlon, so not expensive, but more than ten years ago, so probably not made anymore. It was quite good for running in though!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 04 June, 2020, 10:38:35 pm »
I've got a MTB jersey with pockets like that.  Waist is non-elasticated and a bit flappy for recumbent use, but it's quite nice as something that doesn't scream "cyclist!".  I don't often use the pockets, as I tend to wear it with Endura baggies, with their multitude of pockety goodness.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #34 on: 04 June, 2020, 10:59:57 pm »
I find those Endura baggies (mine are actually Altura but I doubt there's much difference) are actually better off the bike than on. Their bagginess means they tend to catch on things (bottle cages, pumps on the top tube, random stuff) but I guess none/little of that applies on a recumbent. I do agree about their pockety goodness.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 04 June, 2020, 11:19:31 pm »
I find those Endura baggies (mine are actually Altura but I doubt there's much difference) are actually better off the bike than on. Their bagginess means they tend to catch on things (bottle cages, pumps on the top tube, random stuff) but I guess none/little of that applies on a recumbent. I do agree about their pockety goodness.

I find they're basically unusable on a recumbent.  Too much knobbly waistband stuff to lie on, too much restriction around the quads, and there's the possibility of the open legs functioning as a bee-trap.  I bought a pair at the York Rally some years ago, wore them while wandering around the site all weekend, and discovered I couldn't actually pedal comfortably in them on the ride to the station.

Never really had a problem with them snagging on things on an upright, but they're tight enough across the thighs that I wouldn't want to wear them for a proper Bike Ride for fear of interesting chafing.  They're great for utility rides and bumming around campsites though - presentable, loads of pockets and extremely hard wearing.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #36 on: 04 June, 2020, 11:21:47 pm »
"Bee trap".  :o

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #37 on: 04 June, 2020, 11:25:59 pm »
I've had insects go down the neck of my jersey on an upright, and have no intention of repeating the experience in the other direction on a recumbent.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #38 on: 05 June, 2020, 02:24:00 am »

Yep, always wear tight shorts on the recumbent.
Bees or wasps flying up your leg hole at 50mph doesn't bear thinking about!!
The flapping legs every peddle stroke is annoying also.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #39 on: 05 June, 2020, 05:24:49 am »
Reverse Gear is closing.

I just ordered 4 jerseys at a sale price, they won’t be manufacturing any more.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #40 on: 05 June, 2020, 08:29:50 am »

Yep, always wear tight shorts on the recumbent.
Bees or wasps flying up your leg hole at 50mph doesn't bear thinking about!!
The flapping legs every peddle stroke is annoying also.
I was once stung by a bee while riding a motorbike. It somehow got inside my leather jacket and underneath my t-shirt before stinging me on the shoulder blade. Which is a lot less painful than some of the possibilities raised by this scenario!

« Reply #41 on: 05 June, 2020, 08:32:48 am »

Keela is good quality kit.
It's also a reasonable price, which is always a bonus.  I first heard about them from Peter Bray's book about kayaking across the Atlantic, then I found a couple of shirts in the Caving Cafe in Ingleton and have bought their shirts ever since.

Also, Keela is based in Scotland where they know a thing or two about rain. They also make gear for mountain rescue and special forces so they tend to be hard wearing
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #42 on: 05 June, 2020, 11:41:55 am »
Reverse Gear is closing.

I just ordered 4 jerseys at a sale price, they won’t be manufacturing any more.

Bah!

And predictably, everything that's left is either horrid colours or wrong sizes.  (To be fair, most of their colours are horrid.)

« Reply #43 on: 26 December, 2020, 02:02:01 pm »
So, I have a great gore jacket - but it reckons it can;t cope with a backpack, let alone the seat of my laidback.  So I'm considering an alternative jacket.  I reckon I want something windproof and maybe a bit water resistant (as if it's properly raining I'll be on the DF).
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #44 on: 26 December, 2020, 04:10:54 pm »
I like the rab vapourise jackets and gilets in their lightest incarnation for my outer layer in rain. In fact in any conditions where just a base layer isn’t enough. Been using year round commuting and longer rides since 2003. Then wear a fast wicking base layer underneath. The outer might get wet but skin and base layer stays dry. An outer of polartech alpha direct over bare skin or again a fast wicking base layer also works. 

Vapourise in its lighter incarnations is basically pertex equilibrium with stretch panels in the sides.

You’re already aware of buffalo pile / pertex. Brilliant at keeping you comfortable in even the heaviest rain. Too hot for cycling but they have a new techlite version which might be okay.  The gilet looks about the right weight range as my outer for cycling is usually 200-270g. I don’t like anything heavier, too warm.

Wearing a fairly weatherproof gilet then merino arm warmers (or long sleeve merino base in summer) works as a good way to avoid the overheating and sweat build up you get with traditional waterproofs in rain. You can wear over a much wider range of conditions than waterproofs. So much less stop and start if conditions are changeable. In winter I use the Brynje super thermo mesh base layers under one of the above tops.  Great for staying dry (even after sweating uphill on a cold winters day) as the air between mesh won’t be holding water and mesh wicks it super fast as well. I find merino doesn’t dry so well this time of year (so gets overwhelmed) when directly against skin. Merino as a base layer in warmer months is great.

I don’t have a middle insulation layer as such. I let the trapped air do that. This time of year I carry a backup insulated primaloft gilet. But that only gets put on if I’ve got very cold or I’m fatigued at end of day or weather more dire than I was expecting etc. Oh it gets thrown on at start of food stops this time of year. It goes over the top of everything else whether it’s raining or not. Taken off once I get going again.