Author Topic: French Film Recommendations  (Read 7254 times)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Re: French Film Recommendations
« Reply #50 on: 03 December, 2009, 08:51:35 pm »
It's a long time since I've seen it but I found Romuald et Juliette very entertaining.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #51 on: 03 December, 2009, 08:54:41 pm »

Jean de Florette
Manon des Sources

:thumbsup:
Great double bill

« Reply #52 on: 03 December, 2009, 09:01:24 pm »
L'Appartement  - fantastic thriller.  Watch this first then a fluffy one.

Rob S

« Reply #53 on: 03 December, 2009, 09:03:34 pm »
Amelie....Obviously
A Very Long Engagement.
You may be able to spot a mile off that the newish Chanel ad with Ms Tautou on the train is also filmed by Jean Pierre Jeunet.

The Vanishing...which is French/Dutch
Nikita

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #54 on: 04 December, 2009, 02:26:54 pm »
Is anybody actually reading the previous replies before they post? This thread is rapidly turning into a rather pointless list of repeat posts...

« Reply #55 on: 04 December, 2009, 02:34:57 pm »
Jour de Fete.

Jacques Tati's second film.

One third gorgeous near-documentary on French village life of a seemingly long-lost age and two thirds visual comedy without equal.
Rust never sleeps

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #56 on: 04 December, 2009, 04:44:41 pm »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Les Quatre Cents Coups"

Les quatre cents coups (1959)

I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #57 on: 04 December, 2009, 05:42:22 pm »
Is anybody actually reading the previous replies before they post? This thread is rapidly turning into a rather pointless list of repeat posts...

Rapples

« Reply #58 on: 04 December, 2009, 06:06:14 pm »
Personally, I don't think the French are good at comedy.  There are exceptions, but they haven't really moved very far from farce.

What they excel at are the subtleties of human relationships, and the bravery in putting out fantastic films that are never going to have mass appeal  (ie. make much money)

Rapples

« Reply #59 on: 04 December, 2009, 06:07:12 pm »
Is there a French version of Groundhog Day ;)

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #60 on: 04 December, 2009, 06:09:52 pm »

;D

« Reply #61 on: 04 December, 2009, 10:13:06 pm »
I read through the lot and could find no evidence of:

Les Enfants du Paradis
Le Boucher
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
Lacombe Lucien
Last Year at Marienbad
Laissez-passer (cycling in it!)

so there's a few more for you

or even the vroomtastic
etait un rendezvous

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #62 on: 05 December, 2009, 03:28:24 am »
Auteil was also very good in Un Couer En Hiver and Les Voleurs with Catherine Deneuve.  Both heavy though...
Autueil is amazing in "Manon", especially when he gets really, really obsessed with her. I shuddered....
Then he plays such a semi-comic tour de force in Bossu.
My favourite scene in Manon is the denouement where Papet talks to the blind woman. No dramatic acting, no violence, just shocking revelations in quiet conversation. Brilliant.
Rather different to the final scenes of L'Ete Meurtrier, where the plot has finally unravelled, and you just KNOW what is going to happen, but there is no way to do anything but sit in shock as it happens.

Rob S

« Reply #63 on: 05 December, 2009, 02:45:06 pm »
No mention of Betty Blue yet!!?? :o

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #64 on: 05 December, 2009, 05:59:34 pm »
My favourite scene in Manon is the denouement where Papet talks to the blind woman. No dramatic acting, no violence, just shocking revelations in quiet conversation. Brilliant.
Rather different to the final scenes of L'Ete Meurtrier, where the plot has finally unravelled, and you just KNOW what is going to happen, but there is no way to do anything but sit in shock as it happens.

The final scene of Cyrano is similar, when he's sitting reading "Christian's" letter to Roxane and she realises it's too dark for him to read, and he actually knows it by heart.  I always hope she gets it together with the Comte de Guiche afterwards, who turns out to be not such a bad egg in the end.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #65 on: 07 December, 2009, 12:07:52 am »
La Gloire de mon Pere
Le Chateau de ma Mere
L'Ete Meurtrier (Valiant has my copy at the moment)
L'Homme du Train
Diner de Cons
Le Bossu
Jean de Florette
Manon des Sources
La Haine

Been trying to give that back to you for 2 years lol
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #66 on: 07 December, 2009, 09:25:39 am »
Le Velo de Ghislain Lambert

A comedy about drugs in 1970's provincial cycling.  I loved it, but it seems to have passed everyone else by.  The lead actor, Benoit Pooleverde (or something)  is amazing. He is also in Man bites Dog, which is a very black comedy about a serial killer.

Fi

« Reply #67 on: 07 December, 2009, 02:20:22 pm »
I loved an old black and white, think it's called, les Diaboliques.  Scene with the chap in the bath is hilariously spooky.  Then there's La Ceremonie based on a Ruth Rendell story starring Isabelle Huppert and Sandrine Bonnaire - brilliant if violent ending.

« Reply #68 on: 10 December, 2009, 06:28:38 pm »
Alphaville (1965) directed by Jean-Luc Godard. Starring Eddie Constantine as Lemmy Caution as an agent in a dystopian future, but actually filmed on location in contemporary Paris.

A Man Escaped (1956) directed by Robert Bresson, and The Samurai (1967) directed by Jean-Pierre Melville. Both are austere and minimalist films.

Shoot the Piano Player (1960), Jules and Jim (1962), both directed by Francois Truffaut.

Read My Lips (Sur Mes Lèvres) (2002). Dodgy ex-con hooks up with lonely office worker.

Pepe le Moko (1937) starring Jean Gabin, atmospheric thriller set in north Africa.

The Wages of Fear (1953), classic action adventure film.

« Reply #69 on: 13 December, 2009, 07:33:46 pm »
The Mesrine double (2009); won the French oscar for best actor and director. My double CD boxset has just arrived home!  :thumbsup:
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #70 on: 14 December, 2009, 10:50:54 am »
Another vote for Le Placard and Diner de Cons
Argent de poche is a bit bleak, ditto les annees sandwich
La vie est une longue fleuve tranquille is fun, if you like that kind of thing
Cible emouvante (wild target)

I'm now trying hard to think of a single German comedy (mind you, most of the german films I've seen were part of the Suffolk College "german film directors" course, my weekly outing whilst on maternity leave and doing German GCSE.)

Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #71 on: 14 December, 2009, 10:58:34 am »
I'm now trying hard to think of a single German comedy (mind you, most of the german films I've seen were part of the Suffolk College "german film directors" course, my weekly outing whilst on maternity leave and doing German GCSE.)

Goodbye Lenin?